best FREE pc clean up / tune up program

Apple is NOTORIOUS for hardware slowing down over their lifespan. It's a combination of bloated software and Apple's 'Business Plan'. They purposely slow down machines.

Best thing to do Colin is to use Microsofts built in tools. Removing programs that appear on startup. Things like iTunes that you don't use every time you boot the computer you could actually do without loading on startup.

Also you need to look at why your computer is running slow. ctrl alt del will be your friend here. Determine whether it's because there is too much load on the CPU or actually are you just running out of memory.

Memory today is SO CHEAP that you can get VAST quantities of it for next to nothing and you will immediately see improvements if that's the case.

If it's load on the CPU then you need to find out what is causing this excessive load. Again task manager will help you determine what it is. It may just be that you load a million and one programs when you boot. A lot of programs do this. iTunes, Utorrent. Lots of stuff and actually you only use them once in a blue moon. Task manager can be used to remove programs from startup that you don't always use.

All that that does is stop it from loading when the computer boots. This means that when you do want to use it, it will take a little longer to load the first time. But that's the trade off. As said if you only use it once in a while then why load it every time.

That's a brief summary if you want some more pointers then feel free to give me a shout

10 icons pat

10 icons is way to much mate on mine I only have my anti virus running mate like above things like iTunes constantly running in your back ground will slow your laptop way down first things first mate we need to get them icons down and turn programs off what don't need to be running on a daily basis, what system you running mate as in windows 7 or 8 etc 👍

What's the specs of your machine. Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> View amount of RAM.... Copy down the specs

The internet says i3 and 6Gb of ram? To use up 60% of that is a bit extreme

I've used Tune Up before. But to be fair all it does is replicate what Microsoft give you already. And you should NEVER defragment a SSD. So just be careful what drives you defragment.

Right click on 'C' drive under my computer click properties and hit 'Disk Cleanup' and that will remove crap no longer needed.

pat win 8.1 on toshiba satelite 855 if that make a diff ??

All here mate in link below I would only leave anti virus on 👍

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-8-startup-programs/

Your find though once you click on things again like iTunes when you use it, it will run again in the background so just keep checking back every so often make sure there turned off in start up 👍

I also found that installing all Windows updates help as well.

You could benefit from an extra 2gb of ram. It can be picked up for very very little these days. 2gb is a bit low for running Windows 8.1.

Another thing I found was making sure your power settings are on high power instead of balanced or power saver. Anything below restricts the cpu usuage.

If your not searching through files for emails and stuff you can turn off Windows search index which takes up a lot of memory.

Download ccleaner, run the cleaner, and also run the registry cleaner too.

1.8 Ghz is low by todays standards. And with you using a modernised OS then you will notice significant drops. You definitely want to grab some more RAM and I gaurantee you will notice the benefits. Really easy to install and you will instantly notice the benefits. There are a few types of RAM you can get DDR2 or DDR3. And clock speed. Stock clock speed is 1333 MHz but you can get faster speeds like I have on my PC. But if your motherboard cannot access these faster speeds then you will be paying for a premium that you cannot achieve.

If you're unsure then I'd recommend going to Crucial's website and let them determine what RAM you will want. 4 Gb's will be what you want and that will set you back about £20. Well worth getting but you're choke point is always going to be that processor./

Smart laptop, if you can, stick with Intels range of processors. You'll want to look at maybe an i5. i3's are perfectly good but for the extra money you'll get a longer lasting PC with the i5.

AMD have come a long way and are getting better but I still feel that for what it's worth it's better if you stick with Intel.

And compared to your current machine, yes it'll be fast. You're always going to be buying last years technology, if with my custom gaming rig, it's still last years tech.

But to stay on top for longer It's worth paying the exta for a decent Intel processor.