So, how many of you run a 'cheap' EWG and have no trouble what so ever with its performance?

Struggling to see the merit in spending £200+ on something that I can get for £80 which doesn't have a fancy name stamped into it, or am I missing the point, and the cheap ones are truly terrible?

For the sake of £100 why skimp on something so important that could end up costing a lot more if things go wrong?

Besides when you're done with it, it's still worth at least £150 whereas the eBay rubbish won't be worth £20.

Just my 2p. TiAL ftw.

Cost price Tial would be nice.

just need to convince them my employer needs one lol

Going through this at the moment myself.

couldnt justify full price, have never had issues with the knock off but i will see what turns up.

Phil

I'd have thought the only issue you'd see is leaking, or not being able to hold boost. But at the pressures we're working at (around 1bar) I doubt you'd see much difference between a £80 one and £250 for a turbosmart, but happy to be proved wrong.

What they're doing isn't exactly rocket science now, is it?

Good friend of mine fitted one with in 10mins of fitting it boost spiked to 2bar plus and cost him £750 for a new engine and the cost of a proper waste gate it's up to you though bud I know what I'd do :)

Sounds to me like it was fitted incorrectly, but thanks for the input.

I'd have thought the only issue you'd see is leaking, or not being able to hold boost. But at the pressures we're working at (around 1bar) I doubt you'd see much difference between a £80 one and £250 for a turbosmart, but happy to be proved wrong.

What they're doing isn't exactly rocket science now, is it?

Sounds to me like it was fitted incorrectly, but thanks for the input.

He's a mechanic it was fitted properly :)

He's a mechanic it was fitted properly :)

but it must have been broken before fitment, like the mechanism is abc simple.

it must have been badly machined or stuck before fitment that the mechanic mustnt have checked.

Phil

There was a guy on driftworks who leaked tested them. All leaked like a sieve supposedly apart from turbosmart ones. The tials and hks were just as bad as the ebay ones he found

id want them freshly lapped in whatever you where using.

Phil

have been running a cheapy copy ewg for around a year now DAILY.

It performs superbly and is flawless. never ever goes over what I set it to.

however I think the only reason it works so well is because I lapped in the valve and seat so they matched properly as standard they are not a good fit and / or matched.

I would ideally go for a tial one but dont have that cash. very very happy with my ewg.

as with any wastegate the boost control is a huge part of how it works.
/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2q6G6kmB4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wouldn't trust them unless someone had ran that exact one for awhile and it was bang on. even still I'd think twice. It's an abc simple design yes but a fuel rails the simplest design you can think of it doesn't even have any moving parts and look at the fitment of the cj performance ones

I wouldn't trust them unless someone had ran that exact one for awhile and it was bang on. even still I'd think twice. It's an abc simple design yes but a fuel rails the simplest design you can think of it doesn't even have any moving parts and look at the fitment of the cj performance ones

True True...

And there is machine shops and there are machine shops like anything,

even mechanics arent always all that (rarely all that)

My mechanic can map HKS/link/motec/omex/emerald/EMS/AEM/etc..... but i know some that wouldnt pass a GCSE

knowing what your dealing with is important, and i suppose why extra care should be taken when using chinese stuff.

Phil

Edited by Phil

Bought a cheap one years ago, it wouldn't boost above 1 bar so bought a Tial, under 1 bar it was spot on, I gave it to a mate to use! he had no problems apart from the diaphragm burst eventually.

the diaphram in either a tial or a cheapy is still a silcone style material thing and heat will not help how it wears.

my external sits right down bottom of car and is cooled down there and heats not an issue,infact I can grab mine after a normal 1hour drive and its just warm. this will help undoubtedly the life of the wastegate.thats why I dont like the wastegates that sit ontop of the mani and only a few inches of off it.