I had a Honda CG125 when I was 20, loved that bike. Cost a tenner to fill up once a month or so and great fun to ride. Sold it because I needed the money to do my car test, and never got round to renewing the CBT. There's definitely worse ways of getting round.

Thanks for the input lads so what's a good bike to start with? Not too fussed about power although a good power band can help get you out of trouble I can't wait to get the ball rolling get the theory booked.

Aye, next level fun. Different league of bikes though. They're great bikes, but ultimately gutless. As much as I love my 125, they are gutless in comparison. The 125 4 stroke scene is even worse. I agree with lowering the law when there were bikes like 250 smokers you could ride without a license. Since I know of a 250 2 stroke that measures 70 bhp at the crank, that's more than a 400 sports bike four stroke!

tz-right.jpg

1998 Yamaha TZ250. Savage machines. Although they only have about 1000 rpms of usable power and it's about 12'000 rpms high, so not what you would call practical. I would be more terrified to ride one of those than a predictable R1.

If you've never ridden before in your life, then 6 months, a year, on a 125 is really good. So many people die on motorbikes each year which is why I always insist on some practice on a gutless bike. I might get a bigger bike one day. But ultimately, for summer riding, commuting and general hooning, the DT is okay. Wouldn't mind an EXC 300. Might start saving when this Starlet is finished pulling my pants down!

Edited by Calum122

Thanks for the input lads so what's a good bike to start with? Not too fussed about power although a good power band can help get you out of trouble I can't wait to get the ball rolling get the theory booked.

As above, a bandit isnt a bad bike, or a Fazer 600 or FZ6. CBR600F. All go quick enough to have fun.

Day

If it is a 125 you are after of course i'm bias and say the Yamaha yzf r is the best but two strokes are way more fun but 4 strokes are more reliable, if it was a daily commuter i would go for something like the yzf, ktm duke or the cbr but if it was a weekend toy Aprilla RS or Cagiva Mito all day long.

If you're going to go to a big bike straight after then a CG125 is more than enough. Cheap, reliable and lets you get the basics down.

My old Aprilia RS125

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobIl4e-mU8

That thing would be good for over a ton. Topped out about 110 at 13500 rpm. And it got there ridiculously fast, for a 125.

Sorry but today's 125's are pathetic. IMO, like todays cars. The Starlets of yesterday are far superior to the Yaris's today. That's my opinion though. Whilst the YZF125 looks the dogs dangleys, they're just gutless with about 11 bhp. That said, perfect bikes to just learn to ride for a test. Perfect bikes.

But the Aprilia rs125 has enough power, tuning prospects (they even use them in MotoGP 125's back in the day for the superteen class).

As for reliability....They're perfectly reliable. Again it's the same with ANY high performance machine, it requires miticulous maintenance. And maintenance is the key. A piston change is simply maintenance and is about an hours work on a two stroke. No valves, no real hard tolerances. The only tolerance I have EVER measured in building a two stroke engine is piston ring end gap. The rest is just bolted on. I do have the cranks professionally trued and rebuilt...at a cost of £30. A full engine rebuild on a two stroke, with the engine on your table, takes only a few hours. With no need for measuring. The bottom ends are good for 30K miles, and a weekend toy will never reach that. The top ends I'd do every 10K miles and is an hours job, engine in the frame.

So reliablity...is never a factor. Because they need piston changes regulary, they are cheap to rebuild. With a quality piston kit costing you £40 and a forged piston £90 they are cheap fun.

But I agree, if you just want a fun bike to move on from then the R125 is a good learner bike.

But an Aprilia RS125 has enough power for the weekend to last you for years. And if you are only using for weekends then a proper rebuild will out last your time on that bike.

I have owned 2 Aprilias and never had them failed, and my DT is ported, tuned and ridden daily, has never failed.

My next bike will be an EXC 300 or something i similar.

Edited by Calum122

I doubt that, given the DT is 15 and they are much faster. I always say to people, where did you measure that? The fuel tap.

Doesn't matter, I'm a two stroke snob! I think the R125's are GORGEOUS! Love the allow wheel design, shame they're quite skinny. But they are lovely.

The plastic colours are gorgeous and they are superb spec. I think dual pot calipers on the front? I'm running RS brakes on my bike which means 4 pot front and dual rears. But the stocks are single pots. Plus isn't the R125 USD?

But great bikes, just the minimum should be a 250 four stroke or 125 two stroke for CBT.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after selling my starlet and most of the parts of collected over the years went and picked this up over the weekend absolutely love it best bike I've had just need the weather to clear up so I can get out on the thing A071C38E-9E33-43E6-BB19-560A0635635E_zps[url=

Edited by Whitenoize