My gearbox had a bad crunch into third when I got it so I bought another box off here and fitted it. No more crunch but not it can be hard to get into gear sometimes have to make a couple of attempts?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to what it could be or anything to help smooth it up a bit?

Is it worth trying a gearbox additive or molyslip etc? Or is it a case I'll need to get box rebuilt?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried bleeding the clutch? Sounds like the clutch might be holding on a bit. If it's a box problem it will usually be hard to get gears when cold but better when it's warmed up. I put a pattern part slave cyl on mine and it would never disengage properly. Would be a pain to get in gear and you could feel it was really notchy. Put a gen one on and it was perfect :) .

Found this thread about a sugar cube on the linkage that wears out http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?79298-sloppy-gearstick..-easy-fix

I don't know if anyone has heard about this but i went to investigate this on my car but I don't actually have a cube these pictures are of my linkage and the small black plastic bit that's where sugar cube should be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any ideas if this is the correct piece or if the linkage looks correct?

Clutch is definitely holding on. Don't mess with the gbox, it's nothing to do with the issue. As johnboy said above, could be the pressure plate on the clutch, or it could be a hydraulic issue.

If you pump the clutch quickly 5-6 times then hold it down does it go into gear easier? If so then your looking at something on the hydraulic side, if no different then chances are it's a mechanical issue with the clutch

Yeah it jolts when put in reverse sometimes but if you put it in slowly it goes in fine. But if you try and put into third just sitting it won't go. But if you put into forth then third it's fine....

Update on this. Got gearbox off today, clutch was in the right way. Anyone got any other ideas of what to check while I have it all stripped down? I'm going to get a genuine Toyota release bearing as I think mine was whining.

Any help would be great