Need info on highlift cams

What's the rest of the spec? Turbo, ecu, engine components, compression etc etc.

Best answer is leave the OEM ones, their fine as they are for a turbo motor, could go with some slightly more lift but other than that leave as is. Turbo engines don't like wild cams, especially small engines with no compression to get them working.

Basically I want the works,

I plan to fully forge the engine (8:1 comp)and plan on running a Garrett gt28 , not sure on ecu yet

The head seems to be a black art so I want to get the best for the car

Thanks

Stick to stock cams, the reason why these cylinder heads seem to be a black art is because they work well from standard trim.

What are you going to use the car for? If you got money to waste then go and stick a set of cams in, but I can assure you that'll you get sick of having no low-mid range power at all, and that won't be helped by such low compression and a large frame turbo 8)

Ganing 10-15whp up top Vs driveability and response is what it comes down to.

Edited by AdamB

Go ahead, they'll be a custom set. There's more to cams that just the duration and lift. What about the LCA, ramp rate, then getting a spring and retainer to suit, the list goes on and on.

Either forget about it, or pay someone with a lot of knowledge and experience as well as a lot of money to get you a worked cylinder head.

Edited by AdamB

It's looking that way I'll definitely get a professional to build the head I just want to find out who's the best around and what I have to look out for (a lot of idiots around who think they know it all I just want to know what I'm on about so I don't get fooled) thanks for all your help

99% of the so called "professionals" don't even know what their on about when it comes to cylinder heads and cam selection, that includes some of the starlet tuning "guru's". This is why cylinder head work is such a black art, it takes many iterations of cylinder head port design and component selection to get the right one, and even then it isn't gonig to be right for everyone.

If you want to speak to people about cylinder heads, speak to those that design and manufacture cams, Ivan Tighe, Kelford to name a few, they will recommend a cam and the required valvetrain needed as well as things like the base spring pressure, opening and closing degree setc. Take it from me, no more than 240 duration and approx 8.6mm lift intake and slightly more 8.8-9mm on the exhaust (unless you go for bigger valves). Don't stray too far from the stock LSA either.

Edited by AdamB

we only have two head gurus in N.Ireland (interested in turbo stuff - though lots of n/a rally guys in the south)

even the big tuning companies take your ££$$ an sub it to the same guys.

(steven gault and ivor greenwood)

mind you ivor has had a 5e over 600 hp on sunoco so very real gains exist.

Phil

Edited by Phil
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not worth spending money on high lift cams stocks cams are more than capable of make very good power

kinda right yeah.

but all this blanket advice is no help to the guys needing cams lol

Phil