EP91 Blue Spec. The Box

Updates

The Half cut is in the garage and we're going to fit her in on the weekend.

Eventually found the half cut in Sydney, after calling around all of Australia. Some with prices varying from 1500 - 3000!!

I managed to get one for 1800 delivered. It has 93,000km on the dash, and seems in good nick.

So Exciting!!

Bought the following:

- New clutch

- Ebay dump pipe (100 bux including post ;) )

- Water pump

- Timing belt

DIY Nascar:

2926623_65_full.jpg

The rubber trial fit. We used two pieces at first, but then found out we could use one - We made them bend by boiling them in water. Bush mechanic styles!

2926623_66_full.jpg

There is some mesh there as well, I think the shot was a bit too far. Sorry about that dodgy camera work. Can you see the silver funnel on the passenger side? :p Hopefully it will do a world of good for the turbo conversion.

2926623_67_full.jpg

Front Strut bar on rear - Dunno how it works, but it does.

2926623_68_full.jpg

Paseo Seats

Deep dish wheel (OMP copy)

Tom's handbrake cover

Toyota Sportivo Gear knob

2926623_69_full.jpg

DIY Half pallet Engine trolley FTW!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work mate, the EL44 Paseo seats look nice... but i still think i prefer the look ofr the EL54 Seats even though people think they have a GAY pattern to them

HAHA My seats have different coloured patterns on each. T__T. Dunno how that happened. I was obviously caught up in the moment.

It's a shame that there isn't a complete DIY with regards to Step by step instructions on what do for the EP91 as yet?

For example, what did other transplanters do with the A/C? Our mechanic said to us that the A/C bracket from the EP91 will not fit in the housing for the EP82? So we'll need to get a weilder to extend the brackets so it will fit. Also make up some plugs to fit the EP82 loom, as the connectors are different.

Quick DIY of what we have completed so far:

1. Get Half cut, ensure to get replacement essentials - i.e. Gearbox oil, engine oil & filter, Timing belt and Water pump.

2. Take out engine from both Half cut and Original

- In order to do this we had an engine crane.

- We lifted the 4EFTE out of the top of the half cut.

- We dragged the 4EFE out of the bottom of the EP91

- We dropped the 4EFTE into the top of the half cut, by removing the gear box cover

- Reinstall gear box cover with the new clutch , whilst with engine crane and do up the engine mounts

3. Drain fluids (either before removal or after)

4. Take out looms from both (if your doing a complete swap over)

5. Compare the looms. (Would be best to mark out every plug so you know what your doing, or have a great memory...like I do...NOT)

6. Switch over the Looms:

- Switch over the Fuse boxes. Install first part of EP82 Loom

- Engine loom is quite easy, as Manxman has said, we didn't get in any trouble with regards to having to splice and dice.

- Swap over the wiper motor in order to use the stock plug off the EP82 Loom

- Swap over the horn in order to use the stock plug off the EP82 Loom

- Swap over the Fan in order to use the stock plug off the EP82 Loom

- Take off the thermometer looking plug that sits near the bonnet latch off the EP82 and place in similar position on the EP91 - Use the stock plug off the EP82 Loom

- Remove stock washer bottle and use the Coolant and Washer bottle off the EP82

- Install Coolant and Washer bottle in similar area of the stock EP82 - This will enable you to use the stock plug off the EP82 Loom

- Get the side indicator plug off the EP91 Loom and splice into EP82 Loom**

**denotes we are up to here. If any of the converionist would be so kind to continue this DIY it would be upmost helpful!

Things we think we need to do:

Interior LOOM:

- Place Engine part LOOM into ECU.

- Loom which is for the little servo's on the heater (plug and play)

- Re wire the indicator stalks (YET TO COMPLETE)

-Then there's the wiring for the rear hatch on the ep91 the wiring for the hatch goes through the drivers A pillar where the wiring for the ep82 hatch runs along the drivers sill then up the drivers rear ¼ panel...

-also with the ep82 dash just chop the top white bit of plastic and then cut 2 'slots' for the bottom of it and she sits in fine

Any tips and hints for the interior would be welcomed with open arms and a beer should anybody come to Australia :(

Quick update.

2926623_70_full.jpg

The wheel tread on the CSA Honets are worn to almost the canvas - i.e. there is no such thing as tread. So they are basically slicks. - must of been the camber from the Teins, or my driving. Although they have lasted a track day from November a long drive from Melb to Newy. They have served me well. :whistling:

2926623_73_full.jpg

2926623_74_full.jpg

So I picked up a set of Mazda Eunos rims from a bunch of suspect looking guys who happen to be living right next door to a tire place :roll: Anyway, they are 215 x 60 x 15. Fat.

2926623_75_full.jpg

I thought the rims would look crap, but after staring at this picture for a while, they have grown on me. Weekend jobs are the following:

- Find demister

- Find heater

- Find interior light

- The fuel gauge doesn't work. SO i'll have to rely on ninja senses.

Could we trace the wire colours back to the original EP91 ECU perhaps? Who knows. She drives. I'm stoked.

Sparky and Sicaln, indeed we have! She is up and running. 2 Days and 4 nights. (although 1 of those nights was a write off due to no wiring diagrams).

Any idea how to get the fuel gauge working properly? We moved the EP82 Dails and indicator stalks, which are working fine - it was a great moment when we saw the turbo graph working ;)

Cheers,

Jules

4EFTE Halfcut $1,800.00

Labour (Engine Crane and Mechanic dude) + Oil + OEM replacement parts $560.00

Exhaust $500.00

Clutch $260.00

Total: $3120 or 1512 British Pounds :unsure:

Now you know, save up and do it. :D

We took the complete loom out of the EP91 and used the looms from the ep82.

Just had to connect the wires back up. It is easier in the long run, but a bit of a bother taking them out originally.

GO forth and do it Sparky!!

Thats so much cheaper than goin out n buyin a 4 grand glanza think i may hav to do that in the future altho wtf do i know about dropping a turbo engine in my car i barley understand my engine.... :p

So might have to get it done professionally maybe.... :unsure:

Wikid work tho mate :D

Jag: My mate and I were in the same category as you are in knowledge of engines I think. As long as the compression test comes back even and between 150-180 at all four cylinders, doesn't blow smoke , then you should be sweet in getting the engine....I didn't even inspect my engine. It was a risk based on trust - a bit silly but what can you do? I am in a 'remote'

area where half cuts are charged double/triple in price.

Sparky: We had an issue with using the EP82 stalks, and figured that the best way to use them was to drill out and cut the EP91 bracket surround. THe reason for this is the EP82 stalk assemble is fatter than the EP91. Also, the Stalks on the EP91 come forwards, where as the EP82's are relatively horizontal.

Still need to figure out the fuel gauge, but I guess we 'll have to play by ninja senses for now.

Can't wait for the weekend so we can:

1. Paint the roof black (changed mind about white roof.)

2. Figure out heater

3. Demister

4. Rear wiper.

Exhaust system got put on. I'm currently running two cats. One at the turbo, and one at the exhaust. I have already procured an EBay spec dump pipe and will put it on later on. The turbo spools much better with an exhaust. Quiet on the inside of the cabin, but quite deep and loud on the outside. Shouldn't attract too much attention, as people in my area have this phase of adding 5" cannons on their Lancers/ Excels and other big sedans doing burn outs etc.

The exhaust is 2.5" all the way.

Liking the idea of not getting a humongous bake bean tin on the back

Subtle sized exhaust ftw

I've got a like 3" on mine :unsure:

Also im a bit haze on half cuts?

Thats getting parts for a turbo engine n mashing it into a N/A engine?

Am i right?

Im still learning when it comes to turbo stuff n conversions :D

I'm pretty sure my exhaust tip is only 2.5 - it is droopy and depressing looking which is what I want.

Will provide a photo later on.

The new things I needed for the half cut.

- Timing Belt

- Water pump

- Oils

- Clutch

- Exhaust

There arn't that many things you will need new. I.e. If your drive shafts have been recently reconditioned or if they are in better shape than the half cuts, keep it.

Went on a road trip this week. Returned 7.8L per 100kms!!

What a laugh!

A thing I noticed is that with the bonnet (i.e. no scoops) - the little EP runs out of steam going up hill due to the lack of fresh air. Must do something about this.

I've purchased a Subaru Liberty Engine cover (EBAY) and am hoping to re-engineer it to be like this:

1.jpg

Mazda MPS 3 TMIC Cover. Stealth. Channels air over the TMIC, vented through the grill. Will use NASCAR induction mod to try and add extra air to TMIC.

The Weekend weather has turned out quite good...so...

The Exhaust.

2.5" All the way, with a 'mandrel bent' 2.5 inch tip

2926623_76_full.jpg

Looks depressingly stock :D

Here is what it looks like in the 'sock' test:

2926623_79_full.jpg

2926623_77_full.jpg

THe Subaru cover fits over the TMIC! ...unfortunately, the bonnet doesn't allow the gap, and there isn't enough length for the DIY ducting... T_T. OH well, I'm sure we can use it for something later on...

IT seems we'll bush mechanic an RX7 FC TMIC into a FMIC!

2926623_78_full.jpg

THe Nascar mod in comparison with the LIP and White mirrors. - Highly recommended mod for the NA 4E's - louder induction noise, and quicker accerlation :( WIth regards to 4EFTE, I'm not too sure yet, as i haven't hooked up the induction pipe yet.

Today I painted the roof black. Looks much more ninja. Because the car is already dark blue, it's a bit difficult to gauge how it looks? ...it was sort of a bit wet as well :angry:

2926623_80_full.jpg

It's a lip off an EG Civic!

I wanted this version, however couldn't find a 'cheap one' on a Honda forum, so I went the lesser aggressive version. Maybe later when I come across this version, I'll upgrade:

EGspoonLip1og.jpg

I got if for $50 AU, which would be about 16 pounds?

On Ebay Uk, they have EG Civic lips for $5 Pounds, but shipping from the US is $100. :D

Or...you could DIY your lip like this:

DIY Starlet Lip: AUS STARLET Club

This was completed for $40 Aussie. Which is about 13 Pounds?

... or a WRX lip (looks exactly like the same design as TOY SPORT ) and cut it down to size :

79 pounds plus 12 pounds postage..

724f_1.JPG

Or this...which was $8 US!! Using a garage door seal - get them from your local hardware store!

lipdesign007.jpg

That EG splitter looks wikid might have to keep an eye out for one as never seen one of them before :lol:

Also that DIY splitter jobbie on the GT looks prety mean

but it says about '2-2.5m of No.10777 part from Clark Rubber'

Any idea what that converts into English as? B)