EP91 Blue Spec. The Box

Hello all. I'm a long time reader and fan of many Starlets on this forum. Here is my reincarnation of the few Starlets in Melbourne. My brother and I have taken her to Winton once, and we had a blast :p .... i think it was the most underpowered car there B) But the trio of starlets made us more fearsome.

R0012594.jpg

EP91

Dark Blue

Engine Mods

Snorkeless.

Exterior:

15" CSA Hornets Good Year Eagles (poorman's spec)

Front modified EG spec lip

Tinting :p (scrapping bottom of barrel here)

Interior:

EL44 Paseo Driver and Passenger seats

EL44 1/2 Din Cup holders ($15 spec from wreckers)

Fluffy turtle windscreen attachment gizmotron. (+5kw)

MP3 Player FTW!

Handling:

stock boat suspension

nil. - trying to get some Coilovers from Japan.

Will post pictures soon.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2926623_4_full.jpg

DIY EG LIP (approx: $60. time: 1 hour max - 20min if your on the ball)

OMFG it was so hot yesterday! I was sweating out of all regions in my body T_T.. Crawling under the car was so not cool.

Anyway, the EG lip was not really a direct fitment, as you can tell in the photos. There is about an extra 3-4 inches of free play when unmodified. I cut the lip in half and pretty much worked it down to size :p I think it looks like the stock lips the 2004-05 Corollas got.

I ended up drilling 6 holes - 4 for screws and 2 for Zip ties B) As it is pretty much a 'two piece lip' - they require to be secured on pretty tightly. I drilled a 4.5mm hole and used a 6mm nut (they were lying around doing nothing, so i used them). THe 2 holes for the zip ties were to pretty much draw the two pieces of the lip closer together.

DIY Toyota Symbol (approx: $2 - free (depending if your just using a permanent marker) time: 10mins)

Also, I painted the Toyota symbols matt black - I've seen a few Camry Sportivo's with the black toyota logo, and i thought why can't mine have one too? Here is how i did it:

A hair dryer to loosen the glue. SPray black. Spray black again. Spray some Clear coat. All dried? Yes? Then hair dryer onto the glue to heat it up and push it back in original position.

DIY EL44 Seats (approx: $50-100 per seat. time: Variable.)

The EL44 seat install already has a write up, so i won't get into the nitty gritty.

Purchasing one on the other hand is a whole new kettle of fish. The condition of the seat is variable - age, wear and tear/stains etc.

Cleaning:

I purchased a passenger side EL44 seat the other day. It was stained...probably cause the passenger did a number 2 due to the front on accident or something or other. I used NapiSan mixed with some water, and pretty much soaked the entire seat. it seems to have done an alright job, taking out a majority of the stains (and hopefully killing those nasty bateria). I will probably go over it again in order to make sure it is 'spotless'. :p

Coilovers are next....hopefully...

p.s. i got a frikkin' stone chip on the windscreen going to the wreckers....so not cool. T_T

Thanks all for the kind comments.

I didn't end up sealing the stone chip. It doesn't have a visible bump on either side of the window...maybe later when i have time i'll get it fixed. I ended up driving the car from Melb to Newcastle (1100km's) and the windscreen was still good :p There were times where i had to take a 'run-up' and turn off the a/c >_<;;

I hope to find some Paseo EL44 dails so i can finally tell about what RPM's i'm shifting at - I'm one of those geeks that keep track of the fuel economy. Right now I'm averaging around 7L/100km - that's not even granny spec driving. I think I should be able to get her down to about 6.5L/100km... with some weight reduction and granny spec driving

Weathershield - Wreckers Spec $20

Ended up getting a driver side weathershield from the wreckers B) Only $20. It is old school though, so no slim line weather shields for me. It's geniune Toyota!

HID's China Spec $88 Delivered

4300k Hi/lo H4. Install was a drama. The prongs were inserted the wrong way in the plug, so it took me a while of googling and courage to play around with the configurations of the plug. I got there in the end. These were the following combinations of stupidity -

1. Can't get lo beam when switching to main beams....can get high beam

2. Can get high beam, but only when switching to Hi beams....lo beams flicker out.

3. Red prongs to the side of the plug and black prong in the center. Some flickering, then HID's die....

4. Switch red prongs either side. Relief. Finished.

>_< China spec HID's mean's extra work for "plug and play"

*All cost are denoted in $AUS.

welcome to the club buddy.

its funny you should say that youre a long time reader of this forum, as im a long time reader of the austarletclub!

and once again i look at pictures of aus spec starlets and wish the weather was that good here!

nice to have you aboard looking forward to some updates mate. :wacko:

I hope to find some Paseo EL44 dails so i can finally tell about what RPM's i'm shifting at - I'm one of those geeks that keep track of the fuel economy. Right now I'm averaging around 7L/100km - that's not even granny spec driving. I think I should be able to get her down to about 6.5L/100km... with some weight reduction and granny spec driving

hi mate... i would look at any breaking yards if i were you. but also go for the EL54 dials... much better looking.

good luck finding a paseo in a breakers though :blink:

Thanks Galliano, I'll begin looking for them soon. In Melbourne, there are a few EL44/54's in the wreckers, so I doubt that I'll have any dramas. Hopefully, I can get a set when I go home this weekend *fingers crossed*

... on another front....

The Joys of Rustoluem

I have found this link and I'm hitting the hardware store tonight!

Apparently, this paint is easy to apply and does a pretty good job with regards to DIY painting :blink: Roof painting FTW!

Paint your car for $50

-brief rundown....this dude painted his car with a roller in his driveway! WTF?! :toast:

*Update: Bunnings $28.00 (Need mineral turps)

- White knight Rust Guard (gloss white) 250ml

- Paint tray + brushes.

- 2 x 1200 wet dry

- 2 x 600 wet dry

...someone has vinyled their roof... looks pretty cool :lol: - Thumbs up to that dude. I'm going to take it a bit further!

Minilites

Always wanted to get the little EP into EVL miniSpec and I think I can do it! :yahoo:

Also, I have spied some Minilite imitations (mx5 wheels) 4 x 100 on ebay. Might give it a crap....these could be my track rims!

(Blackspec DIY of course! )

Will post a photoshop once i know how to use it... >_<;;

here is the concept....sorry about the noobie skills - learnt it last night LOL

2926623_6_full.jpg

*notes:

- that lip is heaps more aggressive than my bush mechanic styles eg lip

- the rims are actually mine

- the roof colour is going to be 'gloss white'....i was considering 'flat white'...but i want a bit of a shine to the car.

- black rims FTW!

- ;) i couldn't get the blue colour right to match the box

lower and stick a spoiler on????

dunno if any one else agrees lol :p

but no i looks really good i'd like to see some pics when its complete

;) I already got an EP82 Rear spoiler lined up for me at a cost of ($0) ...but i'll probably give them a slab

Coilover suspension won't be till later on (working away from home at the moment - 1200kms away) There are no race tracks here

• 2 weeks later...

How to Paint your roof:

2926623_8_full.jpg

The tools required: 600 Grit Wet Dry (x 2), Pink sponge (eveyrone needs one), Gloves (cause i'm girly) and obviously a Nivea for men SKin cream box stuffed with copious amounts of paper if you don't have a sanding block :)

2926623_7_full.jpg

This is the Starlet roof after I gave her a little bit of a sand. I didn't really try too hard, because my car factor isn't too high at this point. Racing the sun once again - but if you want to be thorough, then you should probably use some detergent to give the area in question a quick clean. Also use a chamy to get it very dry before sanding.

Paint. or Spray. * in Hindsight, i should of chose the painter version instead of the rattle can. - you loose too much due to 30% waste with spray.

2926623_9_full.jpg

2926623_10_full.jpg

2926623_11_full.jpg

This is only the primer layer. I have taken off the rubber weather strips - I didn't make too much of an effort to clean the roof too much. My thoughts were that the wet dry sanding will take off the clear coat and most of the crap anyway B) .

Tomorrow I'll use up the rest of the Primer can and then go for the first coat - I cbf doing many small coats, so I might go for three big layers. It is bright and sunny tomorrow, so i'll just park her out in the sun. We'll see how it goes B)

CHeers for the comments. Will continue with the painting today. The painting is a much welcomed change to distract me from the Paseo EL54 dail dramas. >_< . I should probably fuel today as well....as i don't know how much i have left T_T

i do like that mate... why not use a small electrical sander/rubber... it basically buffs your paint off :) and i like the colour como, although i wouldnt go for it myself if im honest

i do like that mate... why not use a small electrical sander/rubber... it basically buffs your paint off :) and i like the colour como, although i wouldnt go for it myself if im honest

The only thing i got is a Dremel. It would be really annoying to use that little bugger. Anyway, It's forumula one Melbourne today, so I'll try to get about 2/3 layers on. *fingers crossed*

The combination takes a while to get used to i think. If i really wanted JDM styles, i'd probably go with a black roof. But It's really REALLY HOT here! I think later on I'll do the following things to keep blend the colour combi in:

1. Maybe Colour code the roof strips?

2. Wheel Spray - Black or White.

3. Side Mirrors - White

It is arounds 27 degrees here today. SO i think I'll have to be really quick when applying the paint.

Cheers,

Jules.

THe Painting

2926623_12_full.jpg

- Diluting the paint to a 'milky' texture was a bit more challenging than expected. First there was too much spirits, then too little because i added too much paint...I got there eventually...

2926623_13_full.jpg

- Because I did it in the drive way - Murphy's Law intervened - anything that can happen, does happen.... Frikkin' just two seconds after I made the 1st coat (me looking all proud about myself with the evenness of it all)...a frikkin' insect lands on the roof and promptly decides to die there T_T

- Warning! *Using Mineral Turps and Paint = to your roller being eaten and whilst your in the middle of your 2nd coat, the roller will most likely fall apart... HAHAHA GOod times

2926623_14_full.jpg

- The Box drying in the Sun. Maybe the white mirrors would look cool after all....or just black rims :)

ok, due to popular demand, I'll go the white mirrors... SHould i paint them or should i find a set from the wreckers? ... If i find a set from the wreckers, it would be easier, as there is less hassle for the paint - but then what happens if the colour is a different white? :oops:

If there is any spare paint left, i'll endevour to 'roll the paint on' to the wheels LOL! What a laugh!

This morning the paint was dry. The insect is still there :evil: and so are the other million bristles off the roller LOL!

So, some sanding maybe later after work tonight - there are some smooth patches, and some not so smooth patches T__T . I tried to multi-task by painting and talking on the phone.