• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This car went long ago.

Shame. He had issues with the engine tearing the engine mounts off the chassis tho...

Besides its too heavy. 2zz conversion ive done is a bit heavier (due to using a 3sgte gearbox). With the extra weight of a 3sgte engine i couldn't imagine how horrid it must have been in the corners!

Theres a lad near me whos put a 3sgte in an EP85, hes also used the running gear from a GT4 aswell.

Dont think hes on the forum though, probably about on facebook.

The amount of chopping involved to chassis legs. Rear end to mount the subframe.

May as well have just used a ep82! kept the ep85 as there rare enough!

Tbh now im not 100% sure if the GT4 rear end was used, be good if it was to get rear disc brakes, IRS and keep the diff ratios matched

Might have been a AE86 axle used.

Anyway back on topic, a 3sgte in a starlet isnt gonna be very good at anything other than drag racing really.

Far to heavy at the front, zero weight at the back. Plus you need to use a ST202 fwd gearbox, which wont hold up for long with a 3sgte putting out decent power.

And then youve the problem of mounts, you ideally need a fuckin big solid mount at the front of the box and same again for the rear. Aswell as a meaty engine mount and a side box to chassis mount. Then you need custom spring rates in decent coilovers to cope with the added weight. I had looked into this a few years ago but decided against it.

Plus you can get a 4e to 400bhp+ without that much hassle.

The swap isnt pointless, just seems a bit flawed imo.

E153 is what I run :p. Its the box to have thats for sure! Its simply monsterous inside!

As for 3sgte into ep again. You cant use the front bar as a mounting point. It isnt strong enough. (hence why I didnt) So you'd also need to fab additional subframe/bracing/mounting at the front....

Pic of dans car when it failed:

post-2707-0-79230500-1471096271.jpg

The other issue is ground clearance.

When my sump is sorted out, on my 2zz. I will have the same ground clearance as a 4E. Despite the 2zz being a taller engine.

However, the 3S-GTE is even bigger still. This is how much Dans GT had:

post-2707-0-05709800-1471096436.jpg

The car wasnt lowered much.

Any information on the swap, mainly mounts will b appreciated folks. And please stop saying this and that swap will be easier/better/whatever lol. I've it in my head and that's what's happening, drive shafts I have a place ready to do them :)

The weight is the biggest issue along with the amount of cutting and adjustment required.

Has anyone gone absolutely wild in the aisles and thought of sourcing a pulsar sr20 setup ??

fair enough there is going to be some cutting/ molestation of chassis legs and the bulkhead but they are much lighter engines and well capable of more power than a 4e or 3sgte.

any thoughts ?

Edited by roachburger

hahah im not comparing at all man

i was just saying if your going to cut up the front end of a ep for a different engine instead of a 3sgte why not an sr20. both look like the same amount of work its just one would give off muchos potential and the other just creates understeer.

4agze or 4age seems simpler, although i have only ever seen one in a green ep90 at jae

hahah im not comparing at all man

i was just saying if your going to cut up the front end of a ep for a different engine instead of a 3sgte why not an sr20. both look like the same amount of work its just one would give off muchos potential and the other just creates understeer.

4agze or 4age seems simpler, although i have only ever seen one in a green ep90 at jae

please sir keep it toyota :p:p:p

Haha might have been black then. I'm not exactly brilliant with my memory, just remember it being a dark base model ep9.

Col, why ?

I would understand if it actually made things simpler I.e wiring or the mounts are the same, or even driveshafts but

As socks said there's too much weight to make it viable and any combo of Toyota engine/box means something can'et handle the power (unless your going to use jz or uz engines)

And why not do something that's not been done before, looking at your twin charged setups your not scared lol