why did you buy a starlet?

just curious as to what made you buy a starlet?

my story was that i got my insurance money back from my stolen corsa and was out on my 4th day looking around for cars, and the list for the day was looking at a peppermint green corsa in the morning, a black one after lunch and a micra in the afternoon and hopefully a mitsi colt... but then last minute we had the local paper posted thru the letterbox and my dad said "hey boy, what about this one??" and pointed to this ad reading;

"1998 toyota starlet, white, 31,000 miles, air con, one owner £2200"

so we shot down to the garage selling it and had a look about it. it was spotless. i took it for a spin down this little tarmac road.

then i was hooked. ;)

i fell in love with the little beasty and haggled him down to £2000... i was quite lucky mind you, because there was a girl waiting with her dad to see it and were pretty intent on buying it, so i was lucky.

whats you guys story??

Rich. :D

well.. the one im getting. i got into them about feb/march time and wanted one and have been waiting and saving all through summer. basically ive waisted my summer holiday. then i found the one i found. but when i first found out about em i was shoced by the speed, engine size, cheap tax and insurance compared to what i got. power steering aircon and all that. more reliable.. infact i dont think there is a downside.

Well I haven't got one yet, but I got into them by passing a japanese import place in Bristol on the way to the gym. I pride myself on knowing a fair bit about cars so when I saw this little hatchback next to lots of scoobies and skylines it confused me. "That just looks like a starlet with a bodykit and a bonnet vent", I've always related them to grey-haired pensioners, but I know how bonkers JDM models can be so I stopped for a look, had a chat with the guys there and took it for a spin. With the sales guy egging me on I nailed an MR2 away from the lights (which suprised the driver!) and after a little spin of blasting up to a *cough* legal speeds *cough* I was smitten. Currently saving the pennies for a Glanza V ;)

Jon

I saw a white SR five years back when my parents were lookin at the new Corolla and said i wanted it so as soon as i passed, went on auto trader saw one 10mins down the road checked it out and bought it on the spot - havent looked back since

I used to have a saxo, and was fed up with the chav image of them and how common they were, so needed a new car, I looked high and low for something different, whenever anyone used to say 'toyota starlet assumed it was some old persons car as not many youngsters buy them, none the less i checked it out and changed my mind when I saw the GT Turbo, looked immense and like nothing else on the road.

This was like august last year (baring in mind i couldnt get the car until march as i didnt want to get a new car before getting a years insurance out the way). I got a quote for £2k which i thought was pretty reasonable, and stuck with it joining toyotagtturbo.com.

Then my computer crashed and i lost everything over xmas so i considered other cars which seemed better then the starlet.

When I got back online properly I looked at all the other cars I had my eye on and then went back to the starlet and got a quote of £980 to insure it! as my 1.4 saxo was £1200 to renew the insurance I thought there is no question I had found my perfect car which was what I'm after, not only is it different, its fast and cheap to insure!

and the rest is history, sorry for long story lol. :)

i had a saxo too.....loved it to bits..handled amazingly but just was not as special as my sr

after writing ithe saxo off i turned my sights to a b9 passat to bling up with some a8 wheels........totaly had a vision of what i wanted...then i noticed this black starlet on autotrader..it was on there for a solid month..

every day i would go on and check the prices of passats and see it..

it looked like a jap import with its blacked wheels andorangecorners ..over that month the car grew on me..

i could not belive that no one wanted it.

it looked a million times better in the flesh.... definatly the car i have had the most fun with.

I 1st seen a starlet turbo about 4 years ago and liked the look of it but i forgot about it, then 2 years ago wen i was looking for a turbo car i was goin to buy a r5 gtt and then i was reading a magazine out the saturday papers and seen a feature on them and i remembered the one aye had seen so i done some reaserch on them and bout on 3 months later only to sell it 18 months later :)

but looking for another one because i miss it, going to see on sat so hopfully i like it and take it and i'll be chuffed again :)

hi guys. i just signed back up on here (i was originally called *Super Star*).

i just happened to be lookin at Yaris's on the Autotrader on the day before my 18th birthday while my fella went to pick his new car up. I thought to myself, hmmm wonder what the starlets are like so i looked an there she was. Love at first sight!! i saw my little baby sittin there, applied for a loan on my 18th birthday, went to see the car, got accepted for the loan an bought the car haha. ive been so happy with it since. great first car. so many people love it!

savin up for the glanza now :)

alright ba,

just a mixture of what every1 said basically. I dont like to have a car that 90% of the chav community own, so started lookin round on parkers.co.uk for little hatchbacks, had a few ideas like swift, colt, starlet but then my bro (who owns a colt) sed why not get a starlet.

Started lookin on ebay for bout 3-4 months after i passed my driving test and found one! little red cutie, my mates named it stacey the starlet :)

Although i do have some minor n 1 major dent, these will be sorted 1 day :)

Eric

My starlet was, ok, my aunt owned a saxo 1.4 and my uncle owned a SR starlet. So they both was selling the cars because they are moving out the country. So WE all know how common the saxo's were and every rude boy wanted one. So I test drove the Saxo... ok nice drive, damn the pedals are close together! Ok, next the SR, started it up, off me go, damn i love the light weight of the car compare to the saxo, the car was whizzing off.

So that's when i decided the SR is for me. :)

When I turned 17 I was given an EP91 96' Starlet with a 2E Engine.. I then proceeded to drop some Black Figs on it fit an exhaust and put on a bigger carb..

When I turned around 19 I gave that car back to my parents, I bought my own 91' Starlet Gi.. This was pure personal perference as my first starlet was given to me. I loved the way the Gi looked and I loved the bonnet scoop, I indeed fell in love witrh it instantly especially of how sporty it looked and how well kept it was. I used to let the car sing to the redline at7200 :) You could hear me clearly coming home late at night with my 2 inch backbox, decat, filter, quickshift.. The day came that I then took the car and throw in a 6 PT FIA APProved rally roll cage, stripped the interior, stipped everything. Talk about Power to weight, the car suprized me in every aspect. I then stepped up to looking to challelege GTS/Glanzas, to my surprized I didnt fair as well as I think I would have, but didn't fair bad in any case.

The day came that I wanted more, more power,and at last it was sold, rally project cancealed, the demand for power had grown.

When I was 20 I bought my Glanza S.. I couldn't find a V or a GT, and the worst thing my S was auto.. I decided to relax, I threw some 16' Gunmetal rims on my Glanza, dropped it low, put on some eyebrows an debadged it.. God I fell in love it was indeed the most sexy car I have ever owned, it was indeed the envy of other Glanza owners.. :D The Glanza was just a comfortable cruising car.. but then a few months later, like a little less then a year, it hit me.. I needed speed.

11 Months later, I sold my Glanza S , bare in mind alot of people and friends ddin't like my decision... And now here I am a proud of owner of a 95' Quadlight GT.. I can say this it is the quickest of the lot and I think I love it the most, but I thik the Glanza S was the most beautiful car I owned, and I think the Gi turned the most heads.. :)

So now here I am off to get my GT Looking like how I want it to look :D

And that's my story... I'm in love with boost I shall end up selling in the next year or 2 if I am lucky, I am determined to buy an Evolution or an STi :D

seems the general idea is look at or own a corsa/saxo and be in your twenties

i guess i break the mould :D

being almost 40 :D:)

i was looking at a mazda mx5 for the wife (quickly adds)

the bloke selling the mazda also had a starlet gt which had just arrived in the country, couldnt resist a test drive !

it now sits on my drive :D

will be used for weekend/track days and generally for fun :D

also drive an astra estate(work days) and a supercharged lexus IS200 :)

when I was 18 (6 years ago) I had a BMW 318i and I hated the thing (speed, that is. quite liked the looks), I only had it because my family keep saying that I needed a solid car and nothing would happen to me if I was to crash.

Then I saw a Starlet in Auto trader (which was extremely rear then) and fell in love with the looks then and there. I had to travel 80 miles to see it and when I got there I fell in love with it even more. Took it out for a test drive and what can I say?? BUT I cannot have it as I only had the bemmer for 1 year and my dad was not going to insure me on his poilcy. So my bro's mate bought it. We had reaserched for info on the net and there was only 34 in the UK and this was one of them. I had to wait another year to get mine and then one day, there was one about 14 miles away from my house. went up there and bought it stright away.

Still in love with it now.

Had the car for 5 years and still not bored of it.

I got it back then as I wanted something extremely rare. but with all the starlet going around now I guess I would have to sell :)

Only joking. never selling my starlet, in the quest for more power now

• 2 years later...

Well my story is..

Since i've been into lookin at cars ive always wanted an Impreza but at 18/19 I dont have a hope in hell of getting insured on one haha.

I then looked at gettin a Civic Type R (ep3) which i could afford to insure but would leave me absolutly skint each month after paying for it.

So i started saving and about 6months later i was seriously looking at buying a type r when my mate said he was selling his Glanza (to which i said i wasnt interested)..couple of weeks later he came to pick me up in his car n scared the shit outta me with how fast it was..since then ive been hooked n had to have it.

Couple of days before i was due to hand over the cash some lad took it n crashed it =[ (isnt bad just few little dents n scratches) so its now in the body shop waiting to get repaired so hopefully in about a week or 2 i should have one

I owned a saxo too well actualy 3 lol!

I was looking for a new car and decided to buy a saxo vtr,even tho my fella wanted me to go JAP,but i could never afford to go jap,well 3weeks after driving my vtr it seemed boring so i decided to look on ebay found a starlet gt turbo,and my fella said msg him and ask him if he wants to swap,he emailed back saying ill do the swap with your vtr and something else so we offered him my fellas bike that was worth £700 he came down and did a straight swap for my saxo i paid £1400 and a motorbike worth £700

i only bought mine because i see one in autrader when deciding which car i wanted to buy next because my mk2 fiesta was dead from rust.

so i was originally looking at a starlet sr, but saw a gt turbo, and decided thats what i wanted, mainly due to the fact at the time insurance was cheap, and it was still a 1.3, i swore to myself and my dad that i wouldnt mod it.

any way 2 years later and 2 gt's (first got written off by a man in a van) and i now have a 200 bhp gt lol.

i have had a lot of problems but no more than most who modify there cars, and have realised that when people sell direct bolt on kits it wont actually bolt directly on lol, but then thats why i still own one, and bought a second one.

there just so much fun i dont think i will own another like it. or is it because i'm a glutton for punishment lol

ive not got one yet, but i like them cause my bf says hed buy one if he could (when he had his corsa) and i got offered off my mums boss that hed buy me a car, me n my bf fell out n i thought ill get a car to make him jelous lol so i started looking at them and liked them since.. never got the car in the end :lol: it got me out of wanting a corsa or a saxo or something tho!! for the price of a corsa, with 90k and most prob wrecked, for a few hundered more you can get a starlet with alot less milage, power steering and everything else!! made up i fell out with him at the time .. or id still have my mind set on getting a corsa ;)

My turn.

About 19months ago now, I had a Fiesta Xr2i. I know, chav car, but I loved it. I was only 19 and loved my 1.6, but still wanted something quicker and newer.

Plus my xr2i was slowly becoming a bunny hopper and had a few running problems.

So when I was introduced to a Jap car club by my friend, who had just brought an Evo3, I really wanted something Jap. But being the person I am, I wanted something different to what every one else had.

I didnt think I would find anything, but kept looking through Jap import car dealers. At the time one of my american friends was looking for a Starlet GT. He had shown me a picture and I thought it looked ok but nothing special, so when he told me it was a 1.3 turbo I was amazed.

Then one day, when looking through Torque of Keighley's cars I came across this Glanza. And I fell in love with it there and then. I had to have it.

So, I called them and asked them about it and asked whether they would take PX with my Fiesta and they said yes!

So I went up to Leeds that Saturday and took it there and then.

I was so lucky, because I then had 2 different people tell me over TGTT forum that they were going to get the car the following day!

So thats my story!

I 1st seen a starlet turbo about 4 years ago and liked the look of it but i forgot about it, then 2 years ago wen i was looking for a turbo car i was goin to buy a r5 gtt and then i was reading a magazine out the saturday papers and seen a feature on them and i remembered the one aye had seen so i done some reaserch on them and bout on 3 months later only to sell it 18 months later sad.gif

but looking for another one because i miss it, going to see on sat so hopfully i like it and take it and i'll be chuffed again tongue.gif

Is that a pulsar in your avtar

ive not got one yet, but i like them cause my bf says hed buy one if he could (when he had his corsa) and i got offered off my mums boss that hed buy me a car, me n my bf fell out n i thought ill get a car to make him jelous lol so i started looking at them and liked them since.. never got the car in the end ;) it got me out of wanting a corsa or a saxo or something tho!! for the price of a corsa, with 90k and most prob wrecked, for a few hundered more you can get a starlet with alot less milage, power steering and everything else!! made up i fell out with him at the time .. or id still have my mind set on getting a corsa :lol:

Are you shagging your mums boss or something