Update time, the NGK leads arrived along with my oil filter and spark plugs later last month, but the issue was that I noticed the lead diameter is too small, kind of like an oem+ sort of lead as they're only 5mm, but they'll end up on my mum's auto glanza so i'm okay with it.
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Got a bit of a rust situation that has shown itself more recently too, but as winter comes, i'm hoping to restore her a little as the bodywork really isn't great and i'd like to get her under sealed.
image0.jpg

As for other things too, I ended up buying some KV85 leads for maybe later down the line, and bought the mk3 grille off matt as his still had the badge intact, he also threw in one half of the boot trim that he had lying around, which i'm very thankful for.

And as for that misfire, matt also suggested the rotor arm and distributor cap may have some small corrosion on the metal contacts, so I got some sandpaper on them and put it back together, but the problem still unfortunately persists.

image0.jpg

Edited by Kieran Barber
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you, I'd get the plastic skirts pulled off ASAP. GT Turbos have been known to have severe sill corrosion hidden behind the plastics before now, so even if just for peace of mind, I'd check them.

On the whole, the Starlet is looking good though! It's all the little things that come together.

Yeah I'll definitely take both sides off and look closer at them, I'm hoping it hasn't gotten very serious, especially on the passenger side, where i can see it above the skirt.

And yeah it's definitely the small things man, cheers.

The mk3 certainly grew on me overtime, I always liked the mk2 as my mum used to own the grey auto one bean now owns around 6-8 years ago and maybe further on, but I really like mk1 GT's as well.

It's a shame that they're getting few and far between now, but it's how it has all gone mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time with good news, the misfire has been solved, looked like a lead was shorting onto the plug itself.

This was on cylinder 1, i'm assuming that's why this plug has a scorch mark on it
image0.jpg

And cylinder 4's lead was weak on top where it sits on the cam cover, noticeably harder to remove as it felt a lot weaker than the other leads.

But got the new grade 7 plugs in and KV85 leads, looks a bit nicer now despite the cam cover long overdue a repaint.
image0.jpg

another small thing to add is rear brake pads and rear passenger disc was replaced.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:27 PM, Kieran Barber said:

I've done a few things recently (some as recent as today), has done wonders to the little GT

so I got the AD08R's fitted last week, much better than having westlakes on the front lol
image0.jpg

the next major thing I did was swapping the standard panhard rod out for the Cusco adjustable I had on the SR, as well as the KYB SR special shocks and RS-R progressive lowering springs
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

then a tiny thing to add, I got some team heko wind deflectors as an early birthday present
image0.jpg

Can you take more pics of the heko Wind deflectors fitted I've always been really skeptical about purchasing 

Edited by rasslenny

when I get a chance I'll try to snap a few pics, but i've found them to be imprecisely made, as in the passenger one fits perfectly but the driver's side is just short, and we had to make a few modifications so they would actually sit in the frame.

image3.jpg
image0.jpg

This is where i had my issue on the driver's side, but it could be twisted/bent a little.
image1.jpg

And the door frame is just a little too shallow for the provided clips, only had issues on the driver's side again when i've had the window down.
image2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Might be a good time to update the thread.

she's been very reliable with nothing major going wrong on her.

Only today though, 3rd gear decided it no longer wanted to be a gear anymore and felt like jumping around inside the box, was able to limp her home fortunately so now she's out of commission until I'm able to source a box.

Edited by Kieran Barber
  • 1 year later...

I feel as though an update has been long overdue on the old GT, so I might as well put some info up.

So around 4-5 months ago, the box I got from Siwfc got stripped and rebuilt using some of my old gearbox to make it as good as new (lad had to use 5th out of my old box and shimmed the KAAZ LSD so no worries there).

As for some of the other stuff, minor things like the backlights for the clocks and the horn needed to be replaced.

And as for other small issues, I need to chase up a phantom gearbox oil leak and the fact that the side lights have decided to not work, but I think that's just down to the stalk unfortunately. Oh and there's a phantom misfire too whenever I go to change gears in higher revs, like a minor hesitation but is completely fine afterwards, so feedback would be appreciated.

Other than that, she's as stout as ever but I'm toying with the idea of changing what car I drive.