Question For N/a Owners.. What Cars Have You Beaten On A Drag?

Just had a lil race of the light with my mates Honda Civic 1.4 EK3 with no mods standard.. Took him off the lights, then one in 3 rd he slowly went past and carried on pulling away from me once i hit 4th gear..

I am not going to lie i was gutted ;) lol.. He was smiling all the way through.

MODS:

Corolla inlet

TRD Panel filter with cold air feed pipe

TTE exhaust

I know my car is due for an oil change but i doubt that will cause such a let down. What else can i do?? lol..

I had a go with a 1.4 Civic tonight, was pretty much even.

I do fairly well against VTR's aswell, they slowly start pulling away as you get up to higher speeds.

Can't think of anything else worth mentioning really, I also beat a 1.4 mk4 Golf but they're quite heavy.

Corolla inlet manifold/air filter are my only engine mods.

maybe your car is not running 100%.

well if you got corolla inlet mani and filter it could that your car is running lean, when the speed picks up it means it will be running ultra lean.this means the mods you got are not being used to full peformance.

check your spark plugs is they covered powdery stuff then you need some more fuel going in. a lot of N/A boys forget this and this is why the mods don't seem to be doing the job.

maybe your car is not running 100%.

well if you got corolla inlet mani and filter it could that your car is running lean, when the speed picks up it means it will be running ultra lean.this means the mods you got are not being used to full peformance.

check your spark plugs is they covered powdery stuff then you need some more fuel going in. a lot of N/A boys forget this and this is why the mods don't seem to be doing the job.

How would we correct this?

Just fitted a Corolla inlet myself the other day.

Might be a bit diff as is a 5efe, but mine is running quite rich with Corolla mani and uprated filter and cat-back

Airbox may be restricting the airflow a bit?

On another note I can't see how you'd run lean (or atleast dangerously lean) on an N/A with only Corolla inlet manifold and an air filter, the standard fuelling should easily be able to cope with it.

On another note I can't see how you'd run lean (or atleast dangerously lean) on an N/A with only Corolla inlet manifold and an air filter, the standard fuelling should easily be able to cope with it.

I agree, doubt you'll be running lean at all with just a slightly different intake setup.

A good service can make a good difference if its needing one....

Yeh mate was totally standard apart from TTE exhaust. Its done around 130000 miles with full toyota service history.

I think its been in the toyota family brought it off a guy who works for toyota stockport as a mechanic. hmmm..

i'm going to give it a service this week. As i dont think its running right and its due.

basically, im fully aware that my N/a is a slow b*stard compared to nearly everything else out there, which is why i dont really bother, altho straight off the lights is easy as its driver vs driver (and my 14" Rays hehehehehe). which is why i went down the handling route instead, for example, on the way home the other night on a 50mph section of dual carriageway a vauxhall insignia came HAMMERING past me ( i was sittin at 50 as its an obvious spot for cops). he then took the country road from Belfast to Lisburn (national speed limit road), and SHOCK HORROR the twat held me up the whole way as i can carry ALOT more speed in the bends than he, and many other idiots, can (this also worked with a 1.6 Astra too, fool).

For reference, my handling set-up is:

Front and rear upper cusco strut braces

Ultra Racing room bar

Ultra Racing fender bars

Zisco C-Pillar bar

Whiteline adjustable rear ARB on medium setting

40mm GMax springs

14" Rays 5/4s (VERY light)

195/45/R14 Continental ContiSportContacts (good in the dry, bollox in the wet)

get them in the bends i say! make them feel SILLY!

Phil.

basically, im fully aware that my N/a is a slow b*stard compared to nearly everything else out there, which is why i dont really bother, altho straight off the lights is easy as its driver vs driver (and my 14" Rays hehehehehe). which is why i went down the handling route instead, for example, on the way home the other night on a 50mph section of dual carriageway a vauxhall insignia came HAMMERING past me ( i was sittin at 50 as its an obvious spot for cops). he then took the country road from Belfast to Lisburn (national speed limit road), and SHOCK HORROR the twat held me up the whole way as i can carry ALOT more speed in the bends than he, and many other idiots, can (this also worked with a 1.6 Astra too, fool).

For reference, my handling set-up is:

Front and rear upper cusco strut braces

Ultra Racing room bar

Ultra Racing fender bars

Zisco C-Pillar bar

Whiteline adjustable rear ARB on medium setting

40mm GMax springs

14" Rays 5/4s (VERY light)

195/45/R14 Continental ContiSportContacts (good in the dry, bollox in the wet)

get them in the bends i say! make them feel SILLY!

Phil.

Ahh that was so good, brought such a smile to my face. I'm far more interested aswell in handling rather than speed! Yet to see your Starlet about Phil, and I've been on that Belfast to Lisburn a good few times, seeing how well stock handling is...Not very good haha XD

Naglebadger- You brought a smile to my face also.. lol.. I love taking bends as well but am no where near your set up. haha.. My car just hops around the corners.lol

But may look into sum handling things.. I have taken a few cars out fiesta and stuff. But having a glanza rep doesn't help. lol.. People try it but i know not to even try. like Type R's. No point, its funny though. Just wish i had the power to match the looks, not that am a boy racer just the fact to know i got the power under my feet..

Fingers crossed Glanza soon. lol..

B4d1sy did you notice a big difference with de-cat?

I have to agree with the handling statement.

My car will easily outrun the usual corsa, saxo, fiesta crew etc

A friend has a VTR and they are pretty much the same and another mate has a EP3 1.6 sport, and i wouldnt say my car is nailed by it at all !

Around the bends though is where some proper speed can be had, my mate was following me in his "S" Reg Mini cooper on some lovely country roads, but he was milleeess behind through the corners. I find it pays to take care in the wet, have been caught out a few times on very wet roads and not even at speed, we are talking like 40 ! haha

Oh yeah my mods are lowered, rolla mani, induction kit, iridium sparks, and a damn good recent tune up!!!

• 1 month later...

I've got a K&N Panel with a Corolla Manifold, 2001 Civic 1.6 Vtec Sport (induction kit & Exhaust system, but he had a passenger) couldn't pull away from me at all, was right up behind him until he decided to retreat lmao! :)

i ve had vtr's but like you say they start pulling and getting closer when you get to like 85-90 but then you brake and it makes you seem like your like pfft not worth it mate lol.

umm beaten a 2.2 vectra the new shape no word of a lie (car was full though) haha was even till i changed into 3rd then i pulled away.

Audi 2.0 beat

BMW 318, 320ci beat

Peugeot 206's

Ford focus's

Lost againts a Skyline GTr on way back from southend

A sporty Jag

Audi S5

Golf Gti

Renult Sport 2.0

i beat.

pug gti's

saxo vts's

Honda preludes

Honda h22 converted civics

Honda crx/delsols

Honda egs

Honda ek9s

Honda ek3s

Honda ek4s

Honda ep3s

Subaru sti's

Punto gt's

Vr6 golfs

focus rs (old models)

Mk4 gti golfs.

Ibiza cupras (only one of my mates i cant beat.)

Audi tt's

audi A3's

audi A6 3ltr tdi... why the fck try.

fiat coupes

FTO's .. these guys think there cars PWN...

Loads more..... but i drive a Glanza fairly tuned :lol:

ive beat a vtr and beat a old shape st24 mondeo off the lights into abowt 3rd he had four people in though lol. kicked a fto's arse before aswell that was with my standard inlet mani on aswell :)

my only engine mods are rola man i :lol: