Removing Power Steering

Was sitting thinking today of ideas for the rebuild,

What at the benefits of removing the power steering?

Is there much weight saved?

What about any other advantages?

What model of starlet comes without power steering?

As I would have to get a new rack, as It fails MOT if there is a power rack and it doesn't work

Thanks guys

Gary

Think its the "S" which doesnt have power steering

weight saved would be the pump + belt, crank pulley may also be diff on the "s"?

also i`ve read there is some slight cutting of the power steering pump bracket when fitting certain parts..which would be easy for you.

I got rid of mine and it's stil on the pas rack, and my bros GT was aswell. It works but it's alot heavier than it would be with a non pas rack. It did fail it's Mot because of it, but that's only because there was residue leaking out of it... If it wasn't they wouldn't of noticed. There's hardly any difference in the rack So I'd be surprised if they notice it if blocked off properly. Mark/nightspirit did it this way and didn't have a problem with mot I believe :rolleyes:

in my opinion If using the car daily, just keep it..

It would be easier to fit a sandwich plate with the pump out the way bit the engine will be out when doing that so it won't be that hard,

Also its not a daily driver, yes it will still be on the road but I have other transport for day to day driving, the car will only be for good weather, car meets/runs etc bit not everyday driving as I don't want to all that time cleaning it up just to wreck it driving everyday ad I do a lot of miles everyday/week

Thanks for opinions guys

Gary

i will be doing this with mine. I've found a non pas rack cheap. Another benefit of removing it for me is that i will be able to get a decent straight inlet onto my turbo as i had to have a sharp bend on it before.

Every little bit of weight saved helps in my eyes,

I don't have aircon, electric windows, sunroof, or electric mirrors so it's already quite light with a stripped interior.

If the crankshaft doesn't have to drive the steering pump it's bound to make a difference to the revs etc, as it's more free reving with one less thing to drive or am I wrong?

A good saying I heard was: to add speed add lightness :rolleyes:

Gary

Not that its really similar but i have removed the power steering from mine as there is no point and mine is all about being as light as possible. The unit itself is pretty heavy and as the car is designed not to use it then i ripped it out. Obviously the aircon is also pointless in mine :D

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but its on the same subject i need info on:

So it seems removing the Power steering is a good way to save weight for me as its a track car and i have another car as a daily comute.

Just before i go butcher more stuff out of my bay, can i confirm that this is the case:

Remove the Power steering pump

Remove belt from pully

Remove any ajoining brackets

Remove the PAS reseviour tank and all the pipework to the rack

Anything else?

I am asuming that the PAS pipes run down to the rack somewhere and hook on, do i need to cap these off, if so can i just screw somthing into them, what have you guys done.

I am gonna MOT it before i do this it incase there are any issues with heavy steering, other than that thats some nice weight off the car!!

Right done some more poking around, it seems its important to not let the rack fluid drain out when i disconnect it all. Any suggestions on the best way to seal the rack with the fluid not being able to pour out

I know this is an older thread but its on the same subject i need info on:

So it seems removing the Power steering is a good way to save weight for me as its a track car and i have another car as a daily comute.

Just before i go butcher more stuff out of my bay, can i confirm that this is the case:

Remove the Power steering pump

Remove belt from pully

Remove any ajoining brackets

Remove the PAS reseviour tank and all the pipework to the rack

Anything else?

I am asuming that the PAS pipes run down to the rack somewhere and hook on, do i need to cap these off, if so can i just screw somthing into them, what have you guys done.

I am gonna MOT it before i do this it incase there are any issues with heavy steering, other than that thats some nice weight off the car!!

the streaing whill be undevenly heavy using the pas rack as its not variable ratio,

to do it properly you need the non pas rack (lighter by 1.2 kilos) and the actual shaft aswell (1.7kilos)

if your gonna get rid of it leave fluid in there and then plug the holes with 2 bolts... when your driving the steering feels quite nice and weighted, but when your not moving very quick (turning around in a car park etc) its as heavy as fook lol

Yeah i guessed the steering would be like a lead weight when not moving so wouldnt really be suitable if your parking and stuff.

As a couple of people have said though when your driving fast i.e on track its quite light so im gonna give it a try, if it turns out to be horrible, i'll get the non power steering rack.

Can someone tell me what non pas rack i would need and where to get one from ;)

the streaing whill be undevenly heavy using the pas rack as its not variable ratio,

to do it properly you need the non pas rack (lighter by 1.2 kilos) and the actual shaft aswell (1.7kilos)

agreed with the above post, i took my belt off to try it and see if it was any worse before i went nuts and took the whole system out, it was the best thing i ever done, i left the power rack in though as im pretty sure it would be less turns lock to lock aswell, driving really slow isnt all that bad, but parking can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes, but the car is that small i have never had an issue with parking

some say good some say bad, personally, i think its great, so much more feel without power steer, but i will advise trying it first, just rip the belt off, take it for a quick squirt and see how it feels for you mate ;)

• 2 years later...

Depends how well it's been taken out. A full rack could have been replaced. They may have just looped the pas rack to let it function. When removing all the stuff it could have all came off easy or there could be sheered or rounded bolts. Like any modified car the job is only as easy as the person before made it.