Hey guys,

On Saturday night I was leaving one of my friends into Belfast when I noticed a funny smell coming from my car, on the Thursday night I had checked the oil when I was topping the car up with anti-freeze so I thought that whatever it was would hold until I got the car home (about 15 miles).

However when I was sitting in the traffic lights the oil light started to flicker, I immediately pulled the car over and swithed it off. Checked the dipstick and there was no oil registering. To cut a long story short I filled the car twice with oil within ten miles until I got it to my brother's house, the next morning after an inspection it turned out that the oil feed from the block to the turbo was loose, I tightened it up and filled the car with oil, let it warm up and it seems to be fine.

My question is this:

I was normally under the impression that when the oil pressure light comes on that there is already damage being done to the engine? There is no rattling noises coming from the bottom end so I presume it is fine? Is there any other way to check that the engine hasn't been damaged?

Thanks,

Watsi

im sure in most cases warning lights are there as a warning. not really much point in the light if it comes on to say your to late im fucked :thumbsup:. as long as you pulled straight over should be fine i would think mate.

Sorry to invade your topic mate but the same thing happened to me last night but i had no option to stop on the motorway (no hard should) i took it easy but then heard a massive bang from the engine and rattling like something from the engine had shot through the exhaust.

stopped as soon as i could and filled her with oil but the engine keeps cutting out on me and sounds like shit! although it still wants to boost, PLEASE HELP!

and sorry again for invading your topic!

My engine has been spot on and it's been a week since, still holds boost fine and is going like a dream. I stopped my motor at the earliest possible opportunity and seem to have been lucky.

I'm no engine expert but oil starvation normally results in the bearings in the lower end of the engine being damaged, not to mention starving the turbo of oil, sounds like you've done quite a bit of damage mate. Do you know how the car lost the oil?

Thanks,

Watsi

ok ive recorded a short video for you mate, where im pointing to is where there was rapid amounts of smoke coming from when it happened.

the boost gauge is going off its titts even when idling which is at 1000 revs aswell and normally idles at 600.

you know how my car sounds and this sounds nothing like it, i think it may have blown a piston and a few people have said the same which means a new engine really.

The exhaust is shaking like a shitting dog and as you can see is kicking aout a stupid amount of smoke.

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/Ma...nt=MOV00248.flv

Cheers :rolleyes:

this happened to my mates and i droped the sump and the number 4 con rod was layin in the botom of the sump in bits lol

only thing was he was doing 60 mph when it went bang. like what has been said drop the sump mate but it dont sound to good mate

its not to hard budy..

just let all the oil out (if its big ends u might see sum flakes of metal like i did)

then ther is about atleast 10 x 10mm bolts that hold the sump onto the bottom end just take them off.

no doubt itl have sealant on it to so ul need to pry it off

Drop the oil if it has white metal in it the shells have gone and prob cam runners to same happend to my gt4

RED lights mean warning stop rite away

amber light mean somethings wrong but you can carry on to a safe place

Your oil level prob went low very quickly and you pulled over straight away :rolleyes: were markoos couldnt as the hard shoulder was compleatly shut off so he carried on driving hence why it caused damage.

As soon as any red light comes on. Any dash, it should be dealt with stright away, its red for a reason.