1999 Starlet Sr Na Build

Like the wheels!

Could you help me with a dilemma... I might be putting 14's on the GT... but i dont know if i will have any major traction issues due to the tyre width being so narrow? They look ubes aith the stretch! id probably follow suit..

What do you think?

Much love

Mitch

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ azad heres an update for you :D

@ baz those 14 inch wheels are tremendouse fun, they are defo dangerous though in wet and greezy conditions and there is almost no grip

but if you can chuck a car about this wheel and tyre combo are amazing for learning how to drift in the dry, ive scared a few people on here, so they can attest to what i mean.

saying that though i munched though the two front tyres in three weeks, hence the 15s that you see on the pics bellow.

they look nice but cursed the slip in performance from stepping that inch up(back to hitting that wall at 70)

been meaning to update this for a while now, il show use the parts and the dilema i have.

i managed to source a set of hubcentric spacers but still need to find the correct bolts to use with them

keeping the car on the road.

since I've bought it ive fitted

four rear shoes

two rear top mounts

different sets of tyres

and four new shocks

and other bits and bobs

this is how she stands at the moment 13000 miles since bought later.

post-2-1270123084_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123109_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123161_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123182_thumb.jpg

now ive got these parts for the build in what ever direction i go.

the first part will be raising the limit this is fairly simple and il be selling 7 & 8k ecu and valvespring kits to open up 4efe engines

ive got itbs and a blue to get them mapped when we go further down the line.

post-2-1270124220_thumb.jpg

ive fitted my hotshot 4-1 header+ Fujitsubo Legalis R System

post-2-1270124248_thumb.jpg

fitting the mani and exhaust made such a nice sound and i get a little vteck type power kick at 5600ks just after the limiter shuts out all the fun.

fitting this and reverting back to the standard airbox have given me a nice dose of power. it made me seriusly think about what i was doing once i started kaining it around the hills. ive held off getting any graphs or tunn after

bouncing power to weight ratios about my head, and after disectiong a few ep82 n1 cars got me to thinking

a starlet sr weighs 920kgs

an ep82 soleil weighs 760kgs

you can trim thwme down to 700kgs which is close to a quarter of a ton lighter than the this sr.

so im thinking about selling up with the sr and continuing my current na project on a lighter more focused na ep82.

ive unearthed a lot of tuning info on the 4efe and 5efhe engines.

the highest recorded output in japan on a 4efe is 143ps

the highest recorded on a 5efhe was 157ps i have the cam + engine specs for this.

after a lot of reading this engines are very tunable and i know what direction to go down to get more power.

i understand your reasoning for contemplating heading for an n/a EP82 rather than an n/a 91, and in theory all that u discover with the 82, 91 owners can convert over to their own cars...but i'm biased, i think u should stick with pushin the 91!!!!

also....those 14s u had on....deLICIOUS!!!!!!!!

Phil.

All the best with the new direction for the n/a bro :D

Have changed the name of the mani for you!!

Looking forward to see what can be done.

Off the record I'd go for an EP8 chassis if I had the choice again, to be greedy I'd have both :D

Joz

She's looking sweet with the new bumpers! :D

I'm interested in that rev limit kit you mentioned, have you tried it out yourself?

And will you be keeping this engine in the EP8 chassis or using the 100PS JDM engine?

Geo, looking amazing on them wheels mate, get them bumpers sprayed and that is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Also i would be interested in a rev limit kit if they are being replicated.

Also keep with the '91 mate dont go to '82 Ep91s are FTW.

@ azad heres an update for you :D

@ baz those 14 inch wheels are tremendouse fun, they are defo dangerous though in wet and greezy conditions and there is almost no grip

but if you can chuck a car about this wheel and tyre combo are amazing for learning how to drift in the dry, ive scared a few people on here, so they can attest to what i mean.

saying that though i munched though the two front tyres in three weeks, hence the 15s that you see on the pics bellow.

they look nice but cursed the slip in performance from stepping that inch up(back to hitting that wall at 70)

been meaning to update this for a while now, il show use the parts and the dilema i have.

i managed to source a set of hubcentric spacers but still need to find the correct bolts to use with them

keeping the car on the road.

since I've bought it ive fitted

four rear shoes

two rear top mounts

different sets of tyres

and four new shocks

and other bits and bobs

this is how she stands at the moment 13000 miles since bought later.

post-2-1270123084_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123109_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123161_thumb.jpg

post-2-1270123182_thumb.jpg

now ive got these parts for the build in what ever direction i go.

the first part will be raising the limit this is fairly simple and il be selling 7 & 8k ecu and valvespring kits to open up 4efe engines

ive got itbs and a blue to get them mapped when we go further down the line.

post-2-1270124220_thumb.jpg

ive fitted my hotshot 4-1 header+ Fujitsubo Legalis R System

post-2-1270124248_thumb.jpg

fitting the mani and exhaust made such a nice sound and i get a little vteck type power kick at 5600ks just after the limiter shuts out all the fun.

fitting this and reverting back to the standard airbox have given me a nice dose of power. it made me seriusly think about what i was doing once i started kaining it around the hills. ive held off getting any graphs or tunn after

bouncing power to weight ratios about my head, and after disectiong a few ep82 n1 cars got me to thinking

a starlet sr weighs 920kgs

an ep82 soleil weighs 760kgs

you can trim thwme down to 700kgs which is close to a quarter of a ton lighter than the this sr.

so im thinking about selling up with the sr and continuing my current na project on a lighter more focused na ep82.

ive unearthed a lot of tuning info on the 4efe and 5efhe engines.

the highest recorded output in japan on a 4efe is 143ps

the highest recorded on a 5efhe was 157ps i have the cam + engine specs for this.

after a lot of reading this engines are very tunable and i know what direction to go down to get more power.

Nice car :D

Correct me if I'm wrong....bumpers are front remix bumper (unsprayed) with glanza fogs...rear glanza bumper (also unsprayed)...right?

thanx for the coments on looks. :D

@ gaz aye haribo is sorting that out

@charly aye they are, the polos for sale if your interested :D

@lyle sorry mate, should be fixed now.

I'm interested in that rev limit kit you mentioned, have you tried it out yourself?

yes i have tried it and it does work but you get valve float up at around 6600k so swapped it back for a standard ecu until i have my valve springs in

And will you be keeping this engine in the EP8 chassis or using the 100PS JDM engine?

im really undecided at the moment ive read into the 3 evolutions of 4efe and whats different between them most of the power is atributed to the 5mil larger throttle body and a remap on the ecu. heres a wee chart i pulled from a quide i did recently.

check out the power band,

does anyone think that much of a difference in peak power must be associated with cams? or do you think the larger tb would be enough to push peak power up to 66k from 56? im pretty sure the tb is enough to do this but still have not cross checked the epc to find out.

tutorials-2-1267401327.png

anway i have a 50 mil 4afe tb that il put on closer to a time. i also now know that an ae92 tb mates up to the inlet plenium with a bit of modding and ths tb is used on that 157ps fefhe

i will be dicking about with these before going to quads which are gxer tbs.

And will this itb & emange kit be available through your shop?

thats the plan, once i have the kit on and plummed in thats the hard part done. it should not be to hard to replicate kits after that at reasnable price.

il also supply the emanage map as a basse map to you members.

ive looked at itb's before and i keep looking at the idea!!! what sort of power do you estimate?

alone by themselves not much maybe 15bhp if set up correctly, put in conjunction with some hi lift cams, mild port work and a raise in compression 35-45 is realisticaly achievable. its just gona be a bit of a slow process achieving this.

@liam a few people have said spray the bumpers up but i like it like that, and loving the grey bumper theme so keeping it as.

@liam a few people have said spray the bumpers up but i like it like that, and loving the grey bumper theme so keeping it as.

Prefer them like that too :D

Were they difficult to fit or just a straight swap? (did you have to buy other clips and so on?)

some amazing stuff happening with i'll be very intereted in some tuning ideas for mt n/a as i want to keep mine as a n/a.

if you replicate any parts i will defo b interested throttle bodies etc let me know on any progrees :D

thanx dean and jonny

thanx for the heads up Jay is much apreceated.ive been thinking all day if its feasable to get this up.

its right at the other end of the country though just like that other black 3 door 100ps that poped up on here last time.

Were they difficult to fit or just a straight swap? (did you have to buy other clips and so on?)

they just bold up mate, you dont need any extra clips or anything, the fog lights are the sorest part if you dont know where to look, got mine from japan for 55 delivered.

@ russ & joz

i think it would be possible to get the na ep91 starlet down to 810 maybe a bit less, but id have to fuck about with finding a non pas equiped ep91 which are rare for its rack, plus its still 100 kilos heavier.

getting the calculator out

im aiming for 100bhp per litre so

ep91 810kgs and 13o is 163 bhp per ton

ep82 700kgs and 13o is 188.7bhp per ton

so that extra 100kg difference is like adding 25bhp ! thats a massive amount of power for just shedding weight and firmly on lotus elise territory

for context it would give the light weight na82 the same power to weight ratio and sprinting ability as a dc5 integra :D

think about that wiping the floor with any ek4 eg6 b16 in a high reving na 1.3

check this video, its a 4speed soliel l n1400 ep82 weighing with 120bhp750kgs (class minumum weight) realing in a crx

its hardcore and driving me for inspiration.

getting the calculator out

im aiming for 100bhp per litre so

ep91 810kgs and 13o is 163 bhp per ton

ep82 700kgs and 13o is 188.7bhp per ton

so that extra 100kg difference is like adding 25bhp ! thats a massive amount of power for just shedding weight and firmly on lotus elise territory

for context it would give the light weight na82 the same power to weight ratio and sprinting ability as a dc5 integra :D

think about that wiping the floor with any ek4 eg6 b16 in a high reving na 1.3

It's mad that all this is possible with the little 4efe and that you will hopefully be able to achieve it! lol

As for that '82, it's mental, and sounds it too! :D

tutorials-2-1267401327.png

the inlet on the Gen 1, looks like the one ive had fitted to mine (mine was out of a corolla) i`ll have to get some pics of it. I imagine this inlet allows for better top end, chris explained this to me when he was fitting it for me.

but i have noticed a hell of a difference than when it had the standard inlet on.

I was thinking of stripping mine to find spare weight its just i dont really know where to start though.

i will definatly keep watching this build enzo :D

aye it is phil

@ amjad, trying to create/setup a market for parts for the na boys in as much as regard possible to getting those figures on both cars.

when Idy gets back from his holidays we are setting about getting frp rear hatches, doors + bonnets made up for both models to help shed weight very easily,

@ redz your totaly right dude

i never gave much thought to the actual inlet but know how they can alter the power band of a vehicle

the shorter thicker runners along with the tb (50 instead of 45)should defo be enough to change where the power is produced.

i just need to back that up with a dyno graph then i know more so on what parts to assemble on a 100bhp 7k kit for the uk spec na boys.