paranoid? or a problem

well today boost gauge started to act up it was saying am boosting 28psi and boost cont was reading 0.8bar so went to check for any kinks in line poped bonnet and car sounded pretty noisey.spoted the catch tank i put on other week there was already fair bit of fluid in it (kinda a watery crappy oil liquid) so looked a little futher and my coolant lever was between max and min. changed rad pipes last week and redone my coolant so i no it was full last sunday. car seems to run fine tho even after taking it a fast drive round the country roads it still seems to drive fine and engine stays nice and cool so not sure if it might just be a few small things making me think i have a big problem or i do infact have a problem.

now only thing that comes to mind is headgasket but i checked oil and its still nice and clear no mayo crap and it had a full sevice last sunday and nothing noticable then.

cant do anything today with car as i got a meeting to go to today and dont no how long its gonna however i assume it will be till late tonight tomorow ill give it a comp test but what figures am i looking for? engine wise its not been touched

any other things u can think it might be the cars booked to be maped thursday and its a 4hour drive so id like to make sure everythings good before i go.

cheers shaun

sounds like your headgasket has failed between a cylinder and oil way if its filling the catch tank!

wouldnt say its filling it but most people ive spoke to tell me my catch tank wont fill up very fast however its already got like 2cms in it which seems pretty fast saying that ive done around 500? miles since service and its only lost mabye a quater of my overflow bottle and oil still seems perfect so am unsure if its just been the snow/weather somehow effecting the catch can

also worth noting it had an engine flush done to it dunno if that would effect amout of shit in catch can

cant get pic till later but

i have a gutted pvc valve with a hose coming off it and a hose coming from other breather the then are joined by a T piece that goes to catch tank and other inlet on catch tank is breather to atmosphere

will go out later and have a fiddle with few more things any signs of things to look at on turbo? ( its td04)

now i no comp test is alright only thing that conerns me is when i put my foot down boost gauge is reading 28 psi however it will hit 28 psi before am even reving to 4k and the ebc still shows it reading perfectly at maxing 1bar. might rip out the boost gauge n try another i have sitting around to see if its the boost gauge just acting up

no mate, the engine is not breathing corretly, its block swet u suffering with trust me your catch can is plumbed in very wrong.

ahh i was reading the like 10 page thread on tgtt about best way to set up catch can and that seemed to be the way most had went for how would u set it up?

the way the breather circulates the hot crank case gasses is that the pcv valve sucks thm into the inlet from the top of the engine (breather outlet), but thr needs to be a flow to allow fresh air in and not create a vacum and case seal problems, thats wer the big port on top of the rocker cover coms in this is also y its plumbed into the turbo inlet to allow only filtered air into the engine.

now with the outlet side of the breather being behind the throttle plate its subject to masive negative presure, this is a problem as if u put a catch can in it will causes an increase in negative presure and risks sucking oil throw.

so the way i would go about it is to put 1 line of the catch can (the smaller line) onto the large breather inlet on top of the rocker cover and the other line before the turbo (turbo inlet EFI pipe or relocation pipe). the closer to the turbo inlet the better as this will create a negative presure wen the turbo sucks, this will draw the crack case gasses out of the engine throw the catch can and into the turbo, and all your oil vapour will condensate in the catch can. the catch can should never be vented to atmospher this is wat is causing your problem.

Hey Chris some good info there, I was planning on keeping my PCV in place, would it be OK to run a line from the large breather on the cam cover then vent the other side of the catch can to atmosphere?

a catch can run this way will do almost nothing as the air will travel most of the time in the direction of the engine, the pcv valve does not need to be tampered with as it is after the throttle plate, and this is wat fouls with most breather systems. u need the engine gasses to travel threw the can.

most people just put a filter on top of the breather engine inlet and leave the pcv in place this works very well, in all honesty this engine does not need a catch can but thy do look well in the engine bay.

hope this helps

chris