ECU - Emanage/Other & Mapping

Right,

My Problem/Set up

so im looking for the final pieces of my puzzle.

i want an ecu to run this set up:

4EFTE CT9 (Running somewhere round 1-1.2bar)

Zisco Ram Horn Mani

Relocated HKS Airfilter

HDI Intercooler

Plug N Play

I have looked at the 'Plug and Play' ECUS for about £500 squid, and they just seem a bit fuzzy, as you dont know what they are mapped for and they might not actually run your car at its best/safest. Anyone else agree?

Mapable ECUs

Ultimate V Blue

So im looking at actual mapable ECU's. Most people on here seem to recommened Emanage. What is the difference between Blue and Ulimate? Is ultimate overkill for my fairly modest set up? What features are available in Ultimate that you cant get in blue (ive seem mention of Launch Control and Rev Limit moving)

Apexi FC

When I got my car dynod the other week the guy recommened Apexi Power FCs. But i have had a look online and they seem very rare the for the Starlets (only available ones are a few modified MR2 ones kicking around). Plus the ones I have seen go are selling for like £800.

Buying ECU Second Hand

If i was to buy an Emanage second hand, what do I need in the way of wiring harnesses, and Map sensors for the set up I want to run?

Mapping

Also, any recommenedations for where I could go for it to get mapped. Would ideally be looking for somebody around Portsmouth/Weymouth.

Conclusion

So I would like to here from people runing different set ups and their experiences.

phew, sorry for the essay.

i havent had any experience with other ECU's but can give my experience on the plug n plays.

Although there not mapped specificaly for your car i found these to be good.

Its just a quick away do do away with fuel cut and get a half decent map.

i had no problems running mine and as i wanted a quick solution this was good as didnt have to book car in for a map just simply put it in and off i went.

Theres no doubt the mapable ECU would make your car run better but for a quick solution i found my plug n play excellent. Fuelled my car running hybrid and various boosts up to 1.2 bar no problem.

I think these are ideal for CT9/hybrid set ups and will even do TD04 i believe. If i wwas going dow nthe TD04 route though i would start looking at the mapable ECU options :)

The ECU you use is really dependant on whos doing your tuning, if your tuner has alot of experiance with a certain ECU you will probs get best result from that.

Never used P&P ECUs however im not a fan, there not really optimised so tend to run a tad rich with loads of timing put in to make decent power. Each to there own though and they do seem to work most of the time.

I have used Emanage Blue though on my old starlet, did the job fine, 12x12 ignition and fuel maps with adjustable fuel cut, doesnt remove top speed cut though (not a major prob as speedo convertor did this) did the job fine for me running 1.5/6 bar on a td04 with stock internals ! (mapped by Ricky@Race-Tech)

Emanage ultimate is very similar to EMB apart from having a 16x16 mapping table so can get a much more precise tune, also removes top speed cut and has facilities for launch control and changing rev limit, this can also self tune to a certain extent if you set it up right with a wideband and set a target for it.

IMPO for your setup an EMB will probs be best bet, ultimate would be overkill (again IMPO)

plug and play all the way 100000000% best mod i have done for my set up made it really mental!

yea may cost 500+ but it take 10mins to plug in and your away (installing take good 60+ miles or so for it to fully adjust thow)

so means no fanny on getting it mapped! also been there and was a piss take

try get the jam ecu defo the mean green fighting machine like....

obv you kno it does this..

Raised Rev limit 8krpm

Removes the 180kmph speed limiter

Its self mapping/learning for fueling to a certain degree,which can allow it to run 1bar with no other fuelig mods.

More agressive map which usally results in more tourque and power.

Its a plug and play unit.

Factory "jam service" seals still sealed,

adjusting ecu to deal with your mods.

can somebody move this to the ECU forum please.

Thanks iamlegend. I just dont know what to do

500 for a plug n play

or 700ish for a mapped pefect for my car EMB

but then like you said, the hastle of traveling to a RR/mappers. Although i would probably want it all checked any way to check fueling etc was definately good.

im going tobe getting emanagment blue shortly and the total cost including fitting and mapping is coming to £390

and there is no such thing as a self learning ecu

yea i knoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

it adjusts to your mods!

dumbass

they DONT self learn as such, what they do is auto adjust within set paremiters, so if it can adjust between a-d and you optimum performance would be set at e then you are holding your car back, im willing to bet anyone with a plug and play and an rr readout will have a higher torque and and hp from a piggy back and higher still from standalone! the plug and play sells very much on the easy install and the so called self learning. as allready mentioned above they do tend to run rich witch affects timing advance. the standalone option is best left to the crazy spec lads purley as the expence tends to push it out of the sensible tuning mods. piggy gives far more tuning than the plug and play and almost as much capability as the standalone. imo the best option for everyone bar the big power cars.

on a side note the price of 700+ is crazy i had a dastek supply fitted and mapped for a tad over 500, i did supply the additional boot/map sensor myself as i already had that. but the unichip is a fantastic plug and play and has every opton the emu does plus one or two more at a cheaper price. dastek mappers have to be approved to so atleast you know the mapper is of a decent standard too.

anyone charging more than around 200-300 for install and mapping mate is a criminal! these are average standard rates for mapping companys. i have a dastek for sale that i can supply wiring guide for so you can save the cost of install too, so you would only need a map wich should cost even less than the above guide prices. is a lot of dastek mappers in north england and scotland.

anyone charging more than around 200-300 for install and mapping mate is a criminal! these are average standard rates for mapping companys. i have a dastek for sale that i can supply wiring guide for so you can save the cost of install too, so you would only need a map wich should cost even less than the above guide prices. is a lot of dastek mappers in north england and scotland.

id need a mapper in the south though

could you send me the wiring guide so i can take a butchers?

and a link to your for sale thread?

sales thread is in the breakers section bud "cruise kitted v" got the ecu spec on the last page, wiring guide is written down not digital as dastek wont release them but we marked it allup when we removed it from the loom :) i used milway in andover and there are a fair few others dotted about in the south, most are based further up though tbh. but again dastek mappers have to be approved by dastek, and after a very long disscusion with a few mapper i decided that dastek was the best plug and play for the money.

i will give my shout for plug and play also,

im running one so its byast but these are so much bang for buck! if u come to sell you will get what you paid for it, i had my car on the rollers at hayes dynotech and fueling is tiny bit rich but its very safe. im totally happy with mine and making 200.1 at 0.8 creeping to 0.95 on the stock ct9 and the only ecu i would buy other than plug and play would be an apexi

another good piggy back is dastek