Charlotte's GT Advance- Massive overdue update.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So it was my birthday on the 28th of february, and the bottom end started knocking at about 6pm :/. i was absolutely gutted having just had it mapped etc.

idle, acceleration/deceleration it was fine with no noise at all. however cruising with constant light throttle around 3000rpm+ there was a definite big end tap, completely unmistakable. Sam's old almera gti was exactly the same, so when i heard it i knew straight away :( it's only because i'm constantly paranoid and listening for the bottom end that i even noticed it as it wasn't that loud at all.

instant panic mode "what if this... what if that... what if it's previously had a regrind unknown to me and it needs oversize bearings" :(

so i thought seeing as how i thought i'd caught it early and it was not bad at all i would take my chances with a new set of big end bearings and see how it went. having just paid out a lot of money two weeks ago for the ecu and remap i didn't now want to start pulling it apart if i could get away with it. i know majority of you will be thinking ph my god no regrind etc etc and why didn't i do the thrust washers and mains too. i'd like to do them but unfortunately i use this car everyday and i just can't take it off the road for a week and whip the crank out, also can't afford the machine costs etc. if needs be that's what i'll do but for now...

anyways- pics of the damage!

just after the sump came off-

240ys6w.jpg

popped the first cap off and yay they were standard size, all be it very very very thin and worn. in the photo below the order is 4321.

s32fwx.jpg

clearly 3 is the worst. it was strange because before taking anything out we gave the caps a tug and there was movement in 12 and 4 but three felt sound. 4 definitely felt the worst and clunked the most by far yet the bearings was in the best condition out of the lot.

close up of number 3. how it never span this on the dyno at td two weeks ago i have no idea hahaha.

345o18x.jpg

and the rag that was used to wipe the shit out of the sump/pick up etc. photo desnt do it justice, it was hooned with sludgey metallic crap haha :/

2lcy0jr.jpg

The crank was in fairly good condition, no real marking or scorching which was a big relief.

so after a wee polish of the crank and a new set of acl bearings and some assembly lube (which looked so tasty) she was back together and after a good crank over to get the oil round she was running sweet again, happy as ever. i definitely feel i caught it just in the knick of time, because it was definitely running on borrowed time with those bearings. so really a bad situation turned out to be quite good in some respects as it could/ve ended a hell of alot worse.

little starlet hospital-

1znq3id.jpg

so it's basically being driven steady with no boost or high revs for a while, with oil and filter every few hundred miles for a while. covered about 70 miles so far with no issues, so fingers crossed...

Sam bought me a whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar for my birthday too :D thanks Sam :D

Jeez number 3 looks like it went all the way through to the backing plate. Something must have caused it to wear so quickly?

Glad you caught it in time though, hopefully everything will be ok from now on :)

Last time I had the sump off was when the engine was out, and even then the oil pick up was caked in crap. It's been going over a long time I think, there was only number 4 that hadn't pretty much chewed the bearings. On the clocks my car has 188864, so if that's a true mileage even in kilometres that's a lot so ill put it down to wear. Compression across the cylinders is good!

Well done guys! Think I'm going to rebuild my old engine with some new rings, bearings and seals before I get it mapped. Shouldn't cost a lot and technically it'll be a brand new engine :). Don't want this happening lol.... Again, well done :)!