Charlotte's GT Advance- Massive overdue update.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Recaro is delicious! May have to end up getting a different seat for mine too. Even if I haven't driven it yet, I can still tell i'd like the seat a little further back, so will probs tackle that when it comes to fabbing up some rails.

• 3 weeks later...

Not updated this in forever. Fallen out of love with the car a little bit to be honest. Bought some hel braided lines all round off the good man pick 1 (recommend buying off this guy, lovely chap :)) they made a huge difference to the feel of the brake pedal, a lot more solid and better response.

Arranged a deal to swap my arc top mount for a hdi front mount with andy kelly who lives not far from me. went to take my top mount off and boom, massive crack in the wepr manifold :( so out of desperation i borrowed sam's td04 kit while mine is off being welded. (i start working very intense shifts next week so needed it doing asap). so fitted the td04 kit last night, and ended up fitting an evo 8 intercooler instead of the hdi one as i didnt want to take the lip off and hack away at my bumper. the evo 8 intercooler fitted like a glove without having to grind or cut anything at all :) the bumper lives on!

also, i recently scrapped a project car (1.6 auto clio rxe) but kept the 14" alloys because the tyres on my inovites are shocking and i can't afford 4 proxes right now. the clio wheels fit perfect, handle amazing and the tyres are all brand new :) (i know they're ugly but at least theyre legal and handle better than the inovites)

so it's currently running 0.5 bar on a td04, with evo 8 front mount. here's a few pics;

2hdo9w8.jpg

cj9kp.jpg

(bit wonky but this was when we just offered it up, fixed it in straight)

2a0gwm0.jpg

9ie134.jpg

2m44vfc.jpg

as for the td04, might up the boost a bit while it's on to see what i think, but i can definitely say my old set up would have wiped the floor with it and that was only 0.8 bar. i'll see what happens when i up the boost slightly, might be a bit more exciting. don't get me wrong, she does pull very string though :)

Good going on the updates (Y) Glad to see the constant improvements !

Td04 doesn't really wake up until 1/1.1 bar. I can remember mine being piss poor at 0.7/8.

Few bits of advice though ...

1. Get a better rocker, the 4efte has no crankcase breather and the 2 breathers on the rocker are all the car relies on and one of them closes under boost !!! The N/A rocker has a smaller breather too so you could be getting a lot of pressure in there.

2. Get some proper management, you will never make good reliable and efficient power with a FPR and just winding more fuel in, and in a worst case scenario its either going to run rich and bore wash or lean and go boom.

Just a bit of constructive criticism/friendly advice :)

Cheers for the comments. The na rocker cover has the same breathers/pcv valve they're just in different places. I have a spare fte one I'll have to get it sprayed up and swap back over.

And yeah, I'm sick to death of dicussing afr with people tbh. Bore wash doesn't exist in the eyes of most people on here who seem to think its an amazing idea to run their standard turbo at standard boost with an afr of 10. I understand the whole concept of it quite well, I've modelled it at uni a few times.

But hopefully getting management in September :D most pr

Cheers for the comments. The na rocker cover has the same breathers/pcv valve they're just in different places. I have a spare fte one I'll have to get it sprayed up and swap back over.

And yeah, I'm sick to death of dicussing afr with people tbh. Bore wash doesn't exist in the eyes of most people on here who seem to think its an amazing idea to run their standard turbo at standard boost with an afr of 10. I understand the whole concept of it quite well, I've modelled it at uni a few times.

But hopefully getting management in September :D most pr

The N/A Breather has the same amount of breathers but there smaller and when going to td04 they need increasing in size if anything.

I suggest one of these http://www.race-tech...&products_id=13

Glad to hear you're actually reading up and getting info on it all ! I'd put management over most other components including the turbo kit itself !

Looking forward to updates :thumbsup:

Edited by Driver

Nice updates charl and nice to see its coming together well love the look of the Evo front mount bet it feels different to drive now

I think the little 14's would look nice with a re-spray

Edited by pick1

Lol good good if u put it at a bar and like it there is no chance of Sam getting it back lmao if u want a rocker cover spraying and can't be arsed to do it I know a man that will sort it for ya I've just had my strut brave re-sprayed n looks bang on

Lol my tdo4 kit looks well to be honest. To be honest your car doesn't breath heavy any way so for now I think you should be ok. Really inpressed with the evo front mount. Plus if you get a uprated evo intercooler it will be a direct fit :)

Need to see about gettin that sard fpr on too babe.

• 3 weeks later...

right, so i got the wepr mani welded right up as it was blowing from a fair few welds. polished the fte rocker cover up with a bit of elbow grease and autosol. i'll have another go at it sometime to get it looking even better, as that was just a couple of hours of sanding it.

got some proper toyota gaskets as i've had the manifold and turbo on and off that many times recently i thought a new set of gaskets was in order.

during the process of putting the ct9 setup back on, all went well until torquing the last stud up on the manifold, and then there was an almighty bang. couldnt see and damage to fired it up, ran perfectly, drove perfectly and pulled the best its pulled in a very long time. was nice to have the ct9 back :)

then a week later, discovered that around the stud that went bang was a bloody great crack in the cylinder head :( :(

everything is still sealed and nothing is blowing/leaking. but i dont think i'll be able to swap the manifold every again without it destrpying the cylinder head :( (ill get a photo of the crack at some point)

also, the oil return decided to explode when i took it for a spin to check it was running right, so it's officially undersealed for life now thanks to mobil super 2000.

so here's the engine bay as it stands now:

rw6wp4.jpg

i'm working pea season as of now, so when i'm done with that the plan is to buy a cheap little ep91, insure the two, and if the gt goes pop or whatever i have a spare engine, and can take all the turbo bits like sump, oil filter housing, thermostat housing etc off the gt block and whack them on the na block.

got a polished fuel rail and black inlet to go on, and i'm going to tuck the injector wiring and relocate the battery at some point too.

sigh :( .....

It's quite a common problem with the heads cracking it will get worse and start to blow in the end. Not seen many EP82 engines do it though but have seen quite a few EP91 ones go. They can be welded back up but the head needs to be off as the face needs to be skimmed afterwards, most people often end up swapping the head.

Yeah a bit gutting really. After everything that's happened this comes along.

I would have put a wanted thread up but no doubt people will be wanting stupid money for cylinder heads. No offence to anyone. But I would rather just buy a long block from scrappy and drop the lot in. Saves messing about with head gasket, head bolts, welding and skimming.

Yeah plan is to get a cheap and cheerful ep91 na run around and then either swap engines and turbo the na, or gather bits to swap the head. We will see :/

I've bought tons of cylinder heads over my starlet time (not sure why I've onl ever ran 3 of em lol) bout 80-120 for full head with valves cams and springs etc. chin up dudet new head at some point job done ;) also did you ever change to a wepr oil return or still ran oem? Pm sacha too as the wepr manis are life time gaurenteed. i know its sorted now but im sure he will be keen to here it cracked hes a sound guy he maybe able to offer some kind of help/appolagy.

By the time I've bought a head, head gasket, head bolts etc it would cost more than a standard ep91 haha. Also I'm paranoid and would end up wanting to do piston rings while the head is off :p.

I'll give Sacha a message, don't expect anything but just for records I suppose.

It was the oem oil return. It only sheared because it was ancient and sever so slightly stressed due to turbo sitting a bit lower. Cut it down and it seems fine for now, but I will buy an uprated one soon :).

I do love the car, but everything happens at the worst of times etc (usually the case I know lol) I'll keep running it until it goes pop probably. Engine itself seems really strong.

Will be nice to have a little ep91 to potter about in while the gt is being worked on. Get everything right and mapped etc :)

The wepr power up kit relocates the turbo slightly. Only slightly lower. The de cat charl has works fine. The exhaust just hangs a little lower.

How about intercooler pipes, and relocation of turbo?

Cheers

The turbo only sits a fraction lower. I have a short route hot pipe, an to avoid the hot pipe fouling the cross member the cold side of the turbo was rotated so it pointed slightly more down (fitted it to the manifold on the car, bolted everything up and then just stuck a strong arm in it and give it a bit of a tickle haha I actually did it not Sam, making use of my professional skillz)

Oem oil feed fits fine (had a wepr one on for a while and it leaked like a bitch)

Oem oil return was slightly too long so just cut it down slightly until I order an uprated one but it seems one as it is now.

Not having much luck :( didn't like the td04 set up then.? I Love my td04 set up but I am at 0.8 made me love the car so much more. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted :)

Nah wasn't a patch on my ct9 set up tbh. Just seemed laggy as hell and flat as a fart. But more boost and it would have been ok I think. Exhaust was ridiculously loud with te td04 on too? Lol

I would go td04 in the future I think, but only with an ecu and remap :)

Is yours mapped?

The turbo only sits a fraction lower. I have a short route hot pipe, an to avoid the hot pipe fouling the cross member the cold side of the turbo was rotated so it pointed slightly more down (fitted it to the manifold on the car, bolted everything up and then just stuck a strong arm in it and give it a bit of a tickle haha I actually did it not Sam, making use of my professional skillz)

Oem oil feed fits fine (had a wepr one on for a while and it leaked like a bitch)

Oem oil return was slightly too long so just cut it down slightly until I order an uprated one but it seems one as it is now.

Eh, so would say a J performance short route hot pipe fit with this setup?

Cheers