What would you do?

Hi guys,

I sold a set of D2 coilovers on 6th December, they were used and it was a personal sale.

I sent them a couple of weeks later, I drove the car I removed them from for around 150 miles and they worked fine. When I removed them, I checked for any signs of oil etc but they were dry - dirty, but dry. The courier couldn't find the recipients address, so after a week or so they ended up back at mine. I then sent them again (£10 from my own pocket) and they finally got there.

Today, the buyer requests a refund. I asked what was wrong with them and apparently they are bent, and how it must have occurred in the post. Trouble is, it has been 3 months and there's no way I can make a claim on the package. The sale price was £350, I offered a massive £300 discount off a brand new set of BC coilovers as I now sell them, so they basically get the D2s for £50 and I am sure they would sell for £150+. This was just a gesture of good will but they aren't satisfied with this.

What would you do? Send a full refund and be out of pocket? There's no way I can claim back from the courier now. The courier messed me about with a few orders, the last was LeeroyV's engine mounts and that was the final straw before I closed my account with them. Besides they wouldn't even look at a claim for a parcel that was sent so long ago.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Idrees

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to the garage who is fitting them as well, they said that they're bent (which is the main problem) and on top of that they won't adjust. They were sold as second hand though so I'm not sure whether I'm liable for that, I just checked for any leaks etc and they were fine.

Why did said person take so long so long to make you aware, the idea of signing for a package is to check that they are in good condition. If there not and they still sign for it its the own fault therefor they are to blame, not you. I unferstand youve got a business to run but theres a limit to good will gestures.

Personally 3 months is too long time to make a complaint yhey could have been thrown down some stairs for all your aware.

Just my 2cents ;)

I spoke to the garage who is fitting them as well, they said that they're bent (which is the main problem) and on top of that they won't adjust. They were sold as second hand though so I'm not sure whether I'm liable for that, I just checked for any leaks etc and they were fine.

But still.. 3 months down the line?

if its taken him 3 months to notify you they are faulty, then it could have happened any time in the 3 months he has had them, most likely lying around in a garage.

the offer you have given him is an amazing offer! if he doesnt want that then at least try the courier and see what they say. theres not alot more you can do then really

The coilovers went straight to the garage, and they said the garage didn't inform them up until today. I can understand how annoying that must be for them, hence the £300 discount! So the person who signed for them is the one who should have checked them imo, in this case that's the garage.

he's obviously mates with the guy at the garage, i know i wouldnt send £300 worth of coilover to a garage that i didnt know anyone that worked there.

so they could have been chucking it about, moving it around for 3 months. id leave the offer as it stands mate

Something just doesn't seem right though. Either (imo):

• The garage has swapped the coilovers
  • The garage has damaged them (dropping tools, wheels, a big comedy Acme anvil on them/ Leaving them out in the rain)
  • They aren't bent, they are putting them on wrong
  • They have been fitted for the last 3 months and the lad has hit some potholes/had a bump and got the garage to claim they do not fit
  • This is all true and the courier used them to hammer some fence poles in before delivering them

Id tell him to take it up with the garage them, he should get the money off of them, im sure if you had have been told straight away you would have taken them back with refund and then advertised them as spares etc.

The garage employee that signed for them is at fault in reality

3 months is a long time for tINgs to happen.

At my guess I reckon the garage has damaged them and in turn for getting out of it saying they are bent.

That gesture is a superb one, specially as there is no proof who did the damage.

To be honest I think u have done a cracking thing

There as I'm sure if u had of spotted a problem

With the coilovers u would have told them

Or not have sold them and I can understand that if the custome has apparently only just tried to fit them and found the problem they would be pissed off but u didnt give them a warranty on them and after 3 months you do not know if they have been abused or not or fitted incorrectly etc

Can you remember what questions he asked prior to buying them? He obviously knew that they worked because they were on the car? In my opinion second hand parts then you have no say in it. They are sold as seen and regarding your offer on the BC Coilovers then i dont know what hes complaining about!

Personally i think hes pulling a fast one dude.

Hope you get it sorted

John