Track Noise Limit

Noticed Amjads thread and that got me a lil worried now!

How is it tested? Do they test before you go out on track, or do they test as your going round...

Spoke to Ricky@Race-Tech, he said lowering the boost would make it quieter, but obv that would suck...

If the mics are on the track, where are they, I could lift off as I go past them??

Any advice on this would be brill!

A straight through 3inch system and a gt30 screaming out is going to be loud!

Anyone know of any good iphone apps?? To test it with?

Do they look at your RPM's :p

2 meters?

If I remember, when I went on at JF2 there was one watching my speedo and the other recording, I got like 94DB i think.

I have a calibrated decibel.meter.your welcome.to.try it on mate

and they do.it.about a meter.from.your.tip at 45' angle at 3/4 your revs

and two fly by meters are on the track.one.of.each straight you can let of for them but not 100% sure where they are on the straights,

your car didnt sound massivly loud on way to combe tho

But different.tones make a huge differance to the actual decibel

scoobys are low deep tone snd travels further than a high pitched but is lower decibels

3 db is double ( more.or less)

so 100 db is double the sound of 97 so its quite hard to get massibly high haha

phone is knackered ignore the . between words

Edited by Jack-CTR

I believe the limit at Donington is 98db. They can do a test before and there are various testers around the circuit, if you exceed this you can be black flagged and pulled in

Noise Limits are a key part of life within all motorsport activities these days. Circuit neighbours want a quiet life yet drivers want to enjoy the sound of a clean revving engine. As organisers we see both sides of the coin. The only way for both parties to enjoy what they both want is by sensible compromise and to set limits. We see adherance to these limits as being the main weapon in the fight to maintain use of venues. Put simply we put the ability to be able to enjoy driving above the right to make noise.

noisetestdiagram350.jpg

Fortunately testing methods are now pretty much standardised throughout the Uk. The standard test being the Half Metre Static Test. It is very important that you understand which testing method is being used and what the maximum allowed limit is. The different testing methods are listed below.

The Half Metre Static Test

The meter is placed at 0.5metres away from each exhaust outlet at a 45 degrees angle both horiizontally and vertically. The driver will be asked to rev the vehicle to 3/4s of it maximum engine revs.The reading will then be taken.

In exceptional cirumstance some venue operators (not all) may increase this distance to 1 metre. This version of the test is usually only used if it is suspected that mechanical noise is giving a false reading. Rear engined car for example.

The Two Metre Static Test

The meter is placed at 2 metres away from the centre of the car at a 90 degrees angle to the side of the car. The driver will be asked to rev the vehicle to 3/4s of it maximum engine revs.The reading will then be taken. This test usually only used if it is suspected that mechanical noise is giving a false reading. Rear engined car for example.

Drive By

This is the one that invaribly differs between venues. Whilst cars are on track a reading may be taken literally at the trackside , the venue boundary or at a set distance. Again make sure you understand the method being used and that your car is below the limit.

I would expect yours to fail dude tbh :( Get a bung

Had a couple fail last time I was at Donny watching some friends, teh Blyton one we ran was a 110db limit and a couple got close. Best bet would be to get it tested before then or get a bung just in case. Static test is't too bad as it isn't under load. Get the screamer pipe going and your power when on track and they may pull you in. It is down to you if you want to risk it or not

Also just to add for anyone who thinks they won't be too strict, having looked into arranging a trackday at Donington there are massive fines to the organiser for cars breaking the limit and not being dealt with!

Which way does screamer/exhaust point?get an angled tip to point at floor will cut noise down loads as it doesnt travel

my exhaust sticks out to the right a lil bit

if i over take you its loud

if i undertake.you your ear drums bleed

halfrauds style bolt on tip rather than change.your hole system juat bolt on for track

Edited by Jack-CTR

there were people on track with screamers at japfest 1. but then maybe coombe dont have on track mics

Limit at Combe is 105-108 depending on the day :)

aparently its very rare for donnington to do pretests, they use the on track mics..

there is one under the gantry

and one just before the end of the straight

limit at donny is 98 to 118 (or unlimited) depending on teh day

Edited by TrisK

Matt I'd get it sorted if you can, massive pain in the arse last time trying to find a bung and then just about managing to sell my Track Time.

Limit at Combe was 100dB @4500rpm and they didn't let me on with the car being 101.4dB. There was an exhaust shop there that they sent me to but they didn't have a bung that fit my exhaust <_<

I got my letter for JF2 yesterday and it says Donington has a limit of 98dB, that they measure before and during track time. They do watch the revs and they mic is about a metre away as some of the guys have said.

I can't remember whether it's measured at 4000rpm or 4500rpm at Donington. I measured my car last night with that bung wedged in at both 4000/4500rpm with "Sound Meter" on my Android phone and it came up with 98dB both times. Then again I don't know the accuracy of the app and they could be knobheads about it on the day so I'm playing it safe and getting a silencer welded in to bring it right down most probably!

I measured my car last night with that bung wedged in at both 4000/4500rpm with "Sound Meter" on my Android phone and it came up with 98dB both times. Then again I don't know the accuracy of the app and they could be knobheads about it on the day so I'm playing it safe and getting a silencer welded in to bring it right down most probably!

Youll probably find that 98db is the max your phone mic can pick up

Youll probably find that 98db is the max your phone mic can pick up

No I measured it at 101dB before Japfest, so it was 0.4dB out

My mate had the same.problem.amjad was .8db over and they said no,

wonder what.they would do.if i turned.up and read.30db over there imit? heart attack?

:lol:

Edited by Amjad

Did a bit of shopping on iphone app store... found the most accurate dB tester I could... One from SPL...

IMG_1279.PNG

This was at 4500rpm, it was coughing and banging cus wasnt fully warmed up...

Was also in my garage, so echos may not have helped...

Spoke to Ricky, the bung would change the mapping and would masively reduce power so....

I may just risk it.. See what happens!

Can i get it tested as soon as I arrive at the show??

Yeah you can go straight away and that's what I'd recommend. If it does fail then you can sell the track time. I went over to the briefing centre and they had a list of names and numbers of people waiting to buy :)

Yeah they test all day

get it done first thing then.you have time.to sort it if needed,

be really really slow.revving.up so doesnt go over and dont let.of till they have moved mic away as overrun.may send you ober