Wilwood vs wms

Yeah but most brakes you can lock the wheels up? It's like having 400bhp, but saying there's no point in having it because the tyres will just spin up. You get to know the brakes and there locking up point.

Don't get me wrong, I can lock the brakes up at 140mph, yet you can still brake very controlled without locking up, hence out braking every car I've been up against since fitting them (silverstone)

Worth every penny IMO and I didn't get them cheap!

Yeah but most brakes you can lock the wheels up? It's like having 400bhp, but saying there's no point in having it because the tyres will just spin up. You get to know the brakes and there locking up point.

Don't get me wrong, I can lock the brakes up at 140mph, yet you can still brake very controlled without locking up, hence out braking every car I've been up against since fitting them (silverstone)

Worth every penny IMO and I didn't get them cheap!

Yes this is true, i think they say the more pots the more control you have over the applicance of the brakes due to the larger surface area?? so you should be able to get closer to the limit easier, but if you have better tyres then the limit of them locking up will be greater.

At the end of the day you can have the best gear in the world and still get out driven by someone with amazing abilities in a shitter of a car (a racing driver for instance). Having the better gear just makes that gap smaller lol

Yeah I have noticed there is alot more control over the braking than I though there would be, and you 100 % correcct about down to the driver.

If someone had these fitted and just stamped on the brakes Everytime, they would just be locking up everywhere, good control onto them and I've found they outbrake alot of stuff, and show no signs of heat fade at all, unlike the standard ones which nearly cost me big time at Donnington.

That's running Parada spec 2 tyres (they do lOck up easy when they haven't warned up), should imagine they'll be even better when I get my hands on some 888s!

All the gear no idea lol but any brakes will be better that stock ep brakes, personally i think im heading toward wms but mainly down to the fact we have an active forum member thats there at the click of a button, if your looking for brakes that are hard enough to get hold of anyway whats going to happen if, dare i say it, something wasnt to fit or broke?

But Yea brakes are my next big upgrade I've got yoko AD08's atm and they're just like the spec 2's in they need some heat in them to work properly! i did a 20min taster session and i wasnt really pushing my brakes as hard as i liked and they were suffing from fade badly by the end of it!

Edited by morgey

Brakes is not all about having the biggest brakes. Big brakes may brake better, and outbrake other cars, but might slow you down in turns and acceleration.

Having 1 kg extra in wheels, brakes, hub is the same as adding 8 kg in the car, when you talk about how the car behave.

And the longer away from the center, a rotating mass is, the slower your car brakes and accelerate. Try fitting 13" wheels, take a 0-62 mph time, then fitt 17" wheels, the 0-62 time is higher.

If your brake setup can lock up every wheel in every corner of a track, then adding a bigger brake setup will only give you longer brake distance, slower acceleration and a car that fells heavy when changing direction.

So taking 2 exactly the same cars and drives. 1 of them change to a bigger brake setup. He can now out-brake the other car, but he has lower turn speed and acceleration. Depending on the track, he will lose or win because of the brakes.

K-sport and D2 brakes are big, they last long in pads and disc, they have very good stopping power, they dont heat up, but they are really heavy brakes. I had a D2 330 mm brake kit for my starlet. A mate bought a Brembo kit, 300 mm, for a Honda I think, and fitted on his starlet. They very a lot lighter, in calipers, and the disc. Of course 30mm less disc is lighter, but we are talking about 60% of the weight of the D2 kit.

Run as small brakes and rims that you can, it will be overall faster on the track. Of course, you need to stop every time without problems and fast as well.

For a 100% pure street setup, run big brakes. They might be heavy, but giving 0.1-0.2 bars of boost will counter the effect of the brakes. And you need to stop very fast when some dog jumps out in front of you.

Edited by klyfax

Well I can only go from personal experience.

The calipers aren't that heavy, the discs obviously are! But they haver to be, they're bigger an allow the heat to escape better.

I haven't noticed any change in handling to the car, other than the fact I'm not on the limit with braking coming into corners like on the standard set-up, therefore allowing better entry to the corner, which means carrying more speed though-out the corner.

No point in having light brakes that don't work. And I'm still running the same 15" wheels that were on there, so not a huge change for such a huge improvement

Have to agree with adam about seting up the front to heavy on breaking force. wonder why no one fots adjustable bias control on starlets? Also the ksports are big and great for track but for a road car 4pot wms or wilwood would be better as ksports still dont have the dust seals or have they changed that now?

Edited by shorty

A pedal box is the way forward ;)

Problem is with having adjustable brake bias, you would forever be changing it depending on conditions, dry, wet, track etc.

Also I'm sure WMS don't have dust seals.

Edited by AdamB

Nearly all race calipers (including WMS) won't have external dust seals, because:

1 - They tend to go brittle and crack or melt in race use!

2 - Cheap calipers need to protect their pistons (mild steel) and bores (cast iron) from water to prevent corrosion - WMS pistons are stainless and the bores are hard-anodised.

The fuss about dust seals is totally overblown. We offer a full 12 month warranty on our seals.....and nearly nobody has ever taken us up on it. In fact, VERY few people EVER come back to buy new seals even after many years of use.

What does that tell you? :D

As for light brakes, you will accelarate faster, you will stop faster (and have faster modulation), you will also have more grip as you're reducing the unsprung mass (the disc's mass is unsprung AND rotational). If the pads are matched to the kind of use the car has, temperatures are not a real problem.

The brake bias change on our kits are very minimal too - but if people want to customise their setup (and / or run a bias box, or ditch the servo for maximum feel) then the same WMS caliper is available with both one size bigger, and one size smaller pistons.

Also while SOME 15's will take 300mm-ish brakes, most won't.

Lol i have 4pots sat on a shelf waiting to go on and have to say the weight difference is nuts!! Infact its mainly that over anything that made me leave the levin twin setups. after fitting 15" volks and experiencing the difference in unsprung mass i wanted more haha the handaling is alot more precise!