Handbrake pretty shit?

As in the title, MOTer mentioned it being poor, showed my mechanic and he said pads and discs are fine, and they are returning back to the stops properly whatever that means? So unsure exactly what could be the issue? Ive noticed if i press the footbrake down and then click the handbrake on it will hold better, still struggles on really steep hills though?

Have you tried tightening it by the hand brake its self in side the car? if you lift the plastic cover off there should be a 10mm bolt screw that down (make sure the hand brake is down why you do this ) dont go bad though just bits at a time and that should sort it out!!!

your gna have to get in about it. Infact sorry to contradict here fellows,

but you should loosen off the cable inside to as loose as it will go then remove the wheels and calipers, clean up your pads and caliper carriers.

Then using a screwdriver long ways unwind the caliper piston until there is a bit of resistance in turning the disk when the caliper is in place.

Then once you have done this adjust the cable up inside the car. This is the proper procedure for adjusting a handbrake.

If this doesnt work then you need a couple of handbrake cables matey.

Cheers guys, i'm not sure exactly how the MOT man nipped it up but I assume inside the car?

StuDoc....what do you mean by "your gna have to get in about it" ?

And what exact bit do you mean to adjust long wasy with the screwdriver? Do I need to take the pads out themselves?

The rear calipers wind in, they have two notches cut into the piston to allow a proper tool to locate into it but you can use the shaft of a screwdriver to do it instead. But it would be far easier to find/borrow/buy the tool to do it ;)

And yes the caliper and pads need taking off the car, but leave the pipe connected!

Edited by morgey

Cheers morgey

by "your gna have to get in about it" I just meant get your hands dirty.

Yeah theres a proper tool for winding them you can use a caliper wind back tool or a ratchet cube which is the cheaper option. Or as I said the shaft of a screwdriver which is free as I assume you have one.

Cheers morgey

by "your gna have to get in about it" I just meant get your hands dirty.

Yeah theres a proper tool for winding them you can use a caliper wind back tool or a ratchet cube which is the cheaper option. Or as I said the shaft of a screwdriver which is free as I assume you have one.

Ah right yeah i've done this before on an old car with the piston part, would doing this make the handbrake better then?

Ah right yeah i've done this before on an old car with the piston part, would doing this make the handbrake better then?

i would try this method below, he sounds like he knows what he's on about. i haven't tried doing mine this way but its got to be worth ago!!

your gna have to get in about it. Infact sorry to contradict here fellows,

but you should loosen off the cable inside to as loose as it will go then remove the wheels and calipers, clean up your pads and caliper carriers.

Then using a screwdriver long ways unwind the caliper piston until there is a bit of resistance in turning the disk when the caliper is in place.

Then once you have done this adjust the cable up inside the car. This is the proper procedure for adjusting a handbrake.

If this doesnt work then you need a couple of handbrake cables matey.

Had the same on my MOT the guy got inside and wound off the 10mm nut and pumped the footbreak like crazy for a bit.

A handbreak doesn't need to be 2-3 clicks think mines about 6-7.

He just done it back up finger tight and then pinched it up a little

• 1 month later...

I have to change my left handbrake cable after failing mot. Cable is totally stuck and I can't even get it connected with the caliber.

i have released the caliber end already and I'm currently waiting the part to arrive, but if someone have pics or how-to guide for the lever end where the cables connect, please put it here! :-)