Power steering removal.

Hey guys.

After driving my friends glanza on our totally legit bit of private land aka a multi story carpark, i've decided that i want to remove the PAS.. So, i was just wondering if there is a tutorial of how to remove it? I would ask him to buy he lives an hour or so away and in my books that's quite long. Now, he hasn't got a uk rack, and i won't be putting a uk rack on my either because i can't be fucked really. So is there any PAS removal kits i can buy? Or where can i get the braided loop made up? Would anyone do it for me?

And as i said also, how the fuck do i do it lol.

Cheers in advance GUYS.

Unsure if this is the right section, so sorry if its not.

But i've just seen a picture of a kit someone makes for hondas -

photowewe.jpg

I now FULLy understand where it goes now, however i pm'd him to ask if the kits are universal. Do you guys think they will be universal, or if they are not do you know what bolts fitting i will need to make it fit the MC please?

Been thinking of doing the same to mine for sometime now! As i loved the feel of my old red N/A that didnt have power steering!

If you have a link to that blanking hose hook me up Rob :)

Edited by micky boy

Been thinking of doing the same to mine for sometime now! As i loved the feel of my old red N/A that didnt have power steering!

If you have a link to that blanking hose hook me up Rob :)

Yeah no probs man will do!

It feels SO much better man, i only drove it round the car park but the feeling was great, you could feel the road so much nicer, like it had more grip! And felt more confident too.

Yeah no probs man will let you know asap.

You guys are mad!

I had to remove my p/s and loop over the pipe mine had, because i didnt have the room for the pulley with my engine and i hate it, its heavy and snatchy and generally all over the shop on B roads.

Im far more confident in my corolla on either stock springs or apex ones and thats got P/s, i can drive that so much closer to the limit for longer and on much worse roads

Im going ellecy p/s when i find a setup i like!

lol if you guys remove your PAS pump on a PAS rack its going to be like driving with 10 ton weights on each wheel lol, i wouldn't like to drive that at speed being that heavy, i would also think it was dangerous, if you had to do quick steering to avoid a collision i.e hard left and right, you wouldn't be able to react in time!

I've had no PAS for about 2 weeks now as it "worked loose" (I obviously didn't tighten it properly last time I had it apart lol) and the belt slipped off... I've just tightened my pump back up and out the way and obviously have no belt... Unsure if I like it or not. Can feel so much more of the road, every corner feels harder which doesn't bother me, I can feel the front end more and when it starts to slide more than I used to with PAS... But at the same time I nearly went into a lamp post earlier in front of about 10 little chavs because I'd left it late to turn into a car park and couldn't "one hand" turn into the entrance like I would have normally done lol. I looked like a right nob head haha!

Good for feeling the road at faster speeds, shit around town, parking etc... Better have hench arms :p.

Yeah when travelling at speed theres absolutely no issues what so ever with cornering as you are only doing small movements on the wheel, its at speeds of 30mph or less that its a complete b*tch to turn! Its just not very nice, i mean its been like it 3-4 years so its obvs not the end if the world but it has its moments where you just wish it had p/s where I've never sat in another car and said i wish it was manual!

I think that there will actually be a difference in the make-up between the non PAS and PAS racks, ie, the teeth close together at each end of the rack to aid parking. If i remove my PAS i won't still be using the PAS rack, i'll source a non PAS rack or look into an electric rack.

As i am not totally convinced that the braided loop will keep the PAS rack lubricated enough since the pump has been removed from the system. And running a car without PAS is perfectly safe aslong as its not been pikeyd together.

I totaly understand where some of you guys are coming from i really do.

If you leave a bit of fluid in the there then the fluid will just keep recirculating round the braided pipe keeping it lubed up, it should be fine tbh. my friend has been running it like that for a good while now! and he does a shit load of racing, track days and on privatly owned roads............

Yes a proper manual rack will be different to the p/s in the sence of gearing as theres no way you could sell a car with steering as heavy as mine! but Fitting a non p/s rack isnt that simple it needs the column and the mounting points differ on the bracing under the dash so theres loads to change in doing it!

Im looking at the new mr2 setup its speed variable so if setup correctly it can be made really nice for town or spirited driving

And mines been looped since august 2008 still not locked or broken or anything play is still minimal aswel, personally i dont think its much to worry about.

Edited by morgey

What's an m.o.t anyway? LOL.

Little update, bolts-bolts has replied to me on civiclife and he said he can supply me, and if just going to look in to the fittings i need/everything i need for the same price which is only £45 for everything :).

So as far as i understand, i just take off all of the PAS kit, i.e pump, resiv/, hose, bracket on engine. And then just loop it round?

I ran with them looped for while with no pas and it was horrible, didn't drive right at all. I then fitted an na ep80 manual rack but I then found out I needed the column and that had already been removed from the breaker ep80. If you want a manual conversion do it right and swap the whole setup. Or keep your column and get it extended to fit the manual rack

I was asking a few guys in work who drive stockcars and they said that they remove powersteering by draining the fluid from the rack and if they took off the pas pump but left the fluid in the rack that it would be stupidly heavy. I wonder if you need the recirculating braided hose or could you just blank off the two ports. If theres no oil to circulate then you couls just blank the ports, does that sound right?

I'll this this out on thursday on my uk spec pas rack because Ive been meaning to change the fluid anyway.

Fcuk Honda

not sure and you cant be sure if you got all the fluid out either.

i have seen a guide on a forum where this guy strips the rack down blocks the ports up and fills it with hi temp grease instead. then theres a nut that can be adjusted to make it heavier or lighter.

i shall see if i can dig it up!

Very interested in that adjustment nut morgey, the stockrodder's remove the powersteering for free power but I suppose they are just driving in circles all day, think they undo the hoses then turn it full lock to full lock. Keep diggin man

@ Rbz.

Lad I dont think you should do this, especially on a turbo for all you would gain it would be a waste of comfort plus in a turbo you would or could be cornering hard and wishing you had pas. I'll try this out on my uk spec daily driver because Im goin to drain the fluid anyway cause its old and Ive a few litres left over from a auto gearbox oil change. Although Ive seen it said that if you do it you must keep fluid in the steering rack and you must join the two ports together like your honda photo.

@ morgey, I dont think the steering will be much heavier but if it is I might try a lightier grade fluid. Will post back on Friday