TF035 - quicker spooling TD04 alternative?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tongs td12 had massive potential, its a shame everyone was in the "td04 obsessed buble" at the time tbh. It was an awesome example of a true hybrid. Dont think theres that many of them about either iirc as they where a bit expensive compared to the tongs spec 2's.

Thanks shorty, and as i said previously why would i want to lose that 1000revs for what i see as no benefit on a standard motor??

And not driving my powerband? Its a road car not a track weapon and i would rather not have to drive it like a Vtec everywhere to overtake stuff when i can do it in 5th now at 2500Rpm.

I could easily thrash it about everywhere on a bigger turbo and rev it but i dont have too. Plus its a Fwd car with 200+ hp and the bigger and smoother the powerband the better

As i said if your looking for more power go Td04 or something better (plenty out there!)

• 3 months later...

The whole point of me going TF035 Is because i live in the country, Up on the north york moors, The ct9 at a bar hasnt got enough torque, And you can tell its stressed to death when under high load etc, While a TD04 Is too laggy and unsuitable.

If i threw a load of money at a good CT9 hybrid setup it would cost similiar to what i have ready to go on now! It will be more reliable (Factory turbo, Less boost etc etc) Than a bastardised CT9, And the so called CT9 Hybrids and arent even CT9s anymore, There just BASED on a CT9!

I have been in a couple of TD04 equipped starlets, And they just dont make sense to me, Yes they are a quick spooling turbo, but only when there at high boost on a very well setup car, I want full boost at 3k or so, Not 2K like the shitty CT9, And not 4k thereabouts that a TD04 has, in a small light hatch i dont see the point in the small powerband and sudden lump of power (TD04) It will just loose traction (And yes i could drive it and try keep traction, But why make it harder to drive??)

Also none of the vf series are quicker spooling than a TD04, there so much bigger its just not possible (We have tried a few turbo setups on our Impreza also)

I also chose this kit due to the compatibilty with other turbos for the future if i get bored.

Hopefully it will bridge the gap nicely beetween a ct9 and TD04, But we can only try and if its no good i already have a TD04 so i can just swap.

No harm in trying In a turbo what is essentially a smaller exhaust housing and slightly smaller compressor housing than on a TD04, It should spool nice and make good power compared to a TD04, Without stressing the engine at full boost (As i have said before why run a big turbo at low boost :wacko:)

We will see anyway over the next week or so when i get the kit on, Will post info up lads

TT

Hi

i have tested a lot of Td series and VF series from subaru ...both with 4e and 5e engine, what i can say about spooling and response is :

*Tf035 is the much better option to get full boost and spooling on a 4e(for a cheap cost), but if you want to be much quicker take a TF035 billet wheel and it will be like a td12 and close to the td04 for power but playing like a ct9

TD04L13 is the very good option for a 5e engine , and you can find a billet for this , as you can be close to a 4e with ct9 in term of spooling.

Mine last test was a VF35 with a billet wheel , and my 5e is very close to a td04L13

I don't understand why you think TD04 is laggy. Most of the time I drive fast on country roads i'm 4500-7000 rpm always on boost.

Your not driving your power band.

With my vf35 billet version i am at 3800 4000 rpm to 9000rpm on boost

• 1 month later...

Just going to bring this old post back up as I'm after some info on TF035's, does anyone have any specs for them, and what variations are there in compressor wheel sizes etc...?

All I've found so far is that the compressor side is tiny, do any TF035's come with like a 52-56mm comp wheel?

Cheers, smaller exhaust is what I need really, from what I can tell the TF035 is a step down from a TD04 in the same way you'd compare a TD04 to a TD05.

I'm considering this turbo for another car which the standard turbo is VERY similar in size to the CT9, but a TD04 is just a little too big/too laggy, so something in between would be ideal, but from searching I can only see that the TF035 has a 49mm compressor wheel which is too small, no better than standard really.

I've just found this "TF035HM-15T" which I think is possibly a hybrid, TD04 15T cold side by the look of it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinugawa-Upgrade-Turbocharger-4G15-Colt-Turbo-Ralliart-R-Czt-TF035HM-15T-200HP-/121112956771

Edited by ste91