TF035 - quicker spooling TD04 alternative?

After having a good route around the web these came in as a slightly smaller alternative to a TD04. Essentially have the same fitment so will bolt up to a TD04 setup but are generally smaller, they won't produce quite as much top end but will spool a bit quicker.

Any opinions? Anyone in the UK running one?

Discuss.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just mooching around, I'm contemplating going TD04 at some point but I like to keep my options open and I love rapid response.

I'd personally be happy with 200bhp at the wheels and decent spool tbh so this would fit my needs better than a generic TD04.

Plus it gives everyone else something different to think about!

Agreed I would be interested to go out in one running that kind of turbo and see what figures etc they make n how drivable it is compared to td04 anything worth a try and sometimes trying something different pays off

As above been looking into this for about 6 months, have a complete TD04 Kit but have a TF035 Turbo instead. Dont see the point in running low boost on a big turbo and have the lag, while i can have a slightly smaller turbo and run it at high to max boost on a standard engine.

Keep an eye on my thread for when its fitted and i will put some videos etc up.

Ct9 hybrid is okay, But not the most reliable turbos ever going by all the reviews!

The auzzies love them, and there sort of rule is 5E=TD04, 4E=TF035 on a standard engine, Just a slighy downscaled tdo4, Same turbo essentially just scaled down.

CT9 Hybrids are notoriously unreliable and the only place to get them now is speedvision! No thanks bud!

Ill keep my eyes on that build Toffinator! I'm really interested in this.

The only real advantage to a TD04 is the fact that you can pick one up for £30 lol

Makes me lol no one realy looks at hybrids any more, can get same power as a td04@1bar with less lag and pulls all the way to redline. td04 isnt laggy but if you want quick spool but more torque go hybrid ct9 i ran a ct9/ct20 hybrid and a tongs gt spec both awesome both pulled like trains both at .8bar would eat my bosses sti wrx scooby. love how no one looks at hybrids anymore, such a shame. tf are of the forester i belive and imo probably wank!! Aus boys run em because they have no balls for big turbos. this is the same side of the globe who think oem brakes are fine for track. must be because the blood goes to their head what with them being upside down.

Makes me lol no one realy looks at hybrids any more, can get same power as a td04@1bar with less lag and pulls all the way to redline. td04 isnt laggy but if you want quick spool but more torque go hybrid ct9 i ran a ct9/ct20 hybrid and a tongs gt spec both awesome both pulled like trains both at .8bar would eat my bosses sti wrx scooby. love how no one looks at hybrids anymore, such a shame. tf are of the forester i belive and imo probably wank!! Aus boys run em because they have no balls for big turbos. this is the same side of the globe who think oem brakes are fine for track. must be because the blood goes to their head what with them being upside down.

Where exactly are you going to buy a tongs turbo new anymore?

Who balanced your other hybrid?

How is a smaller TD04 wank? Essentially it does the same job, only spools quicker, potentially almost as quick as a hybrid with a bigger bang.

Speak to any turbo builder for balenced hybrids, blades need trimming slightly and compressor needs a lil work for ct20 compressor blades to fit. Loads of other ways to get a ct9 hybrid, i looked at a t25 ct9 hybrid option at one stage. The td04 is fairly small for a turbo anyway and realy not that laggy. The tf035 just doesnt make sense imo. Why not just boost your ct9 to 1bar? Have you been in a td04 car? And how is it a bigger bang than a hybrid if its smaller than a td04? Theres tons of options for hybridising ct9's. You asked for opinions im giving mine mate. I think its a silly setup given the proven record of hybrids and td04's and the fact I've run both means i think i have a fair opinion on them both. Pop over to the aus starlet club and have a read, is tons of tf set ups and i just dont see a gain over the hybrid option realy.

Im going ct12/ct9 hybrid :) ct12b ct20b are the same turbo anyway!

As i love quick spool and round my neck of the woods theres round abouts and bends all over the place and i like powering out of a corner knowing the boost is there stright away :) lol

Speak to any turbo builder for balenced hybrids, blades need trimming slightly and compressor needs a lil work for ct20 compressor blades to fit. Loads of other ways to get a ct9 hybrid, i looked at a t25 ct9 hybrid option at one stage. The td04 is fairly small for a turbo anyway and realy not that laggy. The tf035 just doesnt make sense imo. Why not just boost your ct9 to 1bar? Have you been in a td04 car? And how is it a bigger bang than a hybrid if its smaller than a td04? Theres tons of options for hybridising ct9's. You asked for opinions im giving mine mate. I think its a silly setup given the proven record of hybrids and td04's and the fact I've run both means i think i have a fair opinion on them both. Pop over to the aus starlet club and have a read, is tons of tf set ups and i just dont see a gain over the hybrid option realy.

The TF is smaller than a TD04 but bigger than a hybrid. Bridges the gap nicely IMO and they can be picked up for £100, less than a 3rd of a cheap hybrid.

Boost it to a bar it would theoretically spool quicker than a TD04 and produce more power than a hybrid.

I've been in a TD04d car and they're not that bad. But they could be a Lot better lol

Well ill watch toffs build and maybe ill be proved wrong but given that a hybrid can do 200hp on very quick spool and some have had nearer 240 from hybrids ill be keen to see how th tf can better that without just falling into td04 teritory tbh.

Just to throw in another option, the vf series turbos have the same fitment i think to the td, tf etc. And there are many options if youre looking for spool, top end, mid range etc. And generally fall inbetween the price of a td series and a ct hybrid.

Just a thought but that will be my next setup i think.

Lol i also have ran vf24 infact thats the set up im reusing for my current car it spooled very quick but they are not cheap to buy unfortunatley. But will flow bigger power than td04 at quicker spool.