How to reduce boost spike?

Hey all,

Been having boost spike for a while now, more so obviously due to the freezing cold fresh air! But the car was set up on the RR at 0.8bar, since then it's boosting at about a bar, or maybe just over sometimes.

I don't really want to keep pushing the car cause obv the boost will just keep rising.

Running gizzmo ebc, standard ecu.

Is it causei have a discreat boost leak somewhere? One of the silicone joiners is a bit freyed in the middle where it's hit the floor, but not gone all the way through so i kept using it.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about boost leak, but if it was leaking, wouldn't it give a lower reading?

With the relocation it'll still probably creep as it gives a larger surface area for intake, but if you cover it with something that might help

True yeah, it's just i googled it and someone said something about boost leaking but yeah that makes sense that boost would drop off not increase lol.

Hmmm, well i'll try the filter on, im scepticle as to weather a filter makes better performance or not comapred to meshed haha. The never ending debate :p.

Anyway, anyone have any more ideas? I've also shortened the boost controller vacuum pipes to the turbo. And i heard that harder vacuum pipes are better too?

the is too much air going into the turbo and it cant cope with it, so you need to either increase the wastegate size, or restrict the air going in.

So either port the wastegate/go external gate

or put the efi pipe and air filter back on and that should help.

The colder denser air will make it spike more, so i would also suggest turning the boost down for the colder days

Port the wastegate.

Restrict the air filter.

Does it have FMIC?

What about exhaust wise?

Basically creep is caused when the boost gets caught somewhere and it cannot flow. Like when a crowd of people try and filter through a small door. It causes congestion, so anyting that will let the flow move better will reduce the creep.

Edited by StuDoc 72

the is too much air going into the turbo and it cant cope with it, so you need to either increase the wastegate size, or restrict the air going in. So either port the wastegate/go external gate or put the efi pipe and air filter back on and that should help. The colder denser air will make it spike more, so i would also suggest turning the boost down for the colder days

Damn I was too slow lol.

I don't know why people keep saying ECU lol creeping boost isn't exactly something you want.

Sure an ECU would solve fueling but I'm sure Rob is after stable boost so he doesn't need to worry about it creeping up and over the set levels when driving hard

Haha yeah i duno how people keep suggesting an ecu either hahaha.

Stu that is great help mate thanks a lot for that!

I just bodged the air filter on and noticed that the boost didn't creep/spike as much as before. So like you said it's deffo sending too much air in the turbo! Interesting to say the least though.

I've put it back to mesh for the mo until i get my PAS delete kit so that bit fucking shitty pump can go so there will be more room for a filter then i'll put the filter back on for sure!

Thanks so much for the response.

Most likely down to the air filter and the wastegate then mate.

Best thing you can do to any internally gated turbo is to bore out the wastegate to as large as the penny will still seal it. This way allowing greatest control over pressures.