How to reduce boost spike?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liam, what mods did you have when you had issues ?

And was your wastegate cracked ?

I was struggling the most when I had full exhaust system, decat and front mounted filter the most. As far as I was aware the wastegate was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well instead of starting a new thread i thought i'd just bump this.

Got the new td04 on, it's been fully opened up, ported and polished and i also put the air filter re-location back on and surprise surprise it's still boost spiking if not MORE than before!!

It's fucking scary when the gizzmo flashes i just back off without hesitation!!!!! Fuck sake :@.

What can i do!!?!?

if your using an electronic boost controller and nothing is working, its most likley the stepper motor for the controller thats the problem.

Try running the car on actuator pressure by just putting the vac pipe from the compressor housing into the actuator, then see if it creeps.

hey rbz just beem reading through this :) the Td04 doesnt suffer from boost creep, the wastegate is really big even using with just a iinternal actuator, if your still getting creep then its down to your actuator, especially as you mention your using an internal one. its probably not opening up fully, how have you hooked it up?

you say your ebc isnt controlling the boost, fucked actuator or improperly mounted actuator i would say :)

Edited by Taggy

hey rbz just beem reading through this :) the Td04 doesnt suffer from boost creep, the wastegate is really big even using with just a iinternal actuator, if your still getting creep then its down to your actuator, especially as you mention your using an internal one. its probably not opening up fully, how have you hooked it up?

you say your ebc isnt controlling the boost, fucked actuator or improperly mounted actuator i would say :)

Taggy,

As you say that, i'm 99.9% sure that the actuator is mounted incorrectly then! Like most guys i know with td04, it's only held on by 1 bolt when rotated... How can i fix this so it opens up properly?

i had the same problem, once you rotate the turbo the actuator doesnt fit, and when you fit it on with one bolt the actuator arm isnt parallel with the wastegate arm, this then causes problems dumping excess boost, even with an ebc as it cant physically open the wastegate enough.your gonna need to fabricate a new bracket. you need to make sure

1. the actuator arm is straight with the wastegate arm

2. the actuator can freely move to open and close,

if you need more scope to open the wastegate,i packed mine with loads of washers to move the actuator more to the right, you will just need to experiment, but it pissed me off so much i ended up changing to an external mani and wastegate.

Edited by Taggy

How about this 1 any thoughts?

I have a Tongs CT9 and when it goes on boost around 2500-2800 its shoots up to 0.8-0.9 for avery quick second or 2. It then settles higher up the revs around 0.5-0.6. I know you will get a slight spike with initial boost but it shouldnt be this far above what its holding any body came across this before?

I still have the standard top mount which I know wont help.

Plus i think my actuator is pretty loose as without the EBC it only makes about 0.2-0.3 so I was going to tighten that to about 0.4-0.5 and see if that helped.

Any suggestions to jump start my thoughts would be helpful though.

Taggy, can you please post up a picture of how it SHOULD look? Cause obviously i've twisted/rotated the actuator arm to allow it to slow over the wastegate lip bit on the housing then put the C clip on it. So i'm not too sure how it should look once done properly?

Ditch the Gizzmo and your boost issues will dissappear.

Something like a Blitz DSBC will do the job much better than a Gizzmo.

Cheers

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

Are these all directed at me? I dont have a Gizzmo EBC its a depo 1?

@mike

You're correct cause with the bigger exhaust the turbo can spoolup twice as fast and then ya get spikes.

My Mate subaru with n td04 got it everytime with a shitty ebc. 1.5 bar spikes

Blitz sbc id-III ya can adjust the spoolup time and just get it on the edge of not jet spiking.

Ive had it to, change the time and your sorted. (Similar setup ct9 hybrid)

• 2 weeks later...

Bolocks! They're not cheap either - _ -

Did you solve this problem rob??

I know what you mean by the actuator held by one bolt mines the same. Mine doesn't spike that bad tbh only slightly over a bar when cold i'd just get a good boost controller and see what happens then theres a greddy one on civiclife £140 atm

Did you solve this problem rob??

I know what you mean by the actuator held by one bolt mines the same. Mine doesn't spike that bad tbh only slightly over a bar when cold i'd just get a good boost controller and see what happens then theres a greddy one on civiclife £140 atm

Nop still not solved it man.

I need to try the actuator possition first before i start spending money.

Probs won't be buying a boost controller right now as it's been an expensive month already for the car lol, had to pay for the body work damage and just spent £210 on bits for the car for mot at the end of the month and got to pay for that and have tracking done yet lol.