4E-FTE stock internals. Maximum reliable limit?

This has been puzzling me the last few days as I can't find the answer.

Back when I was along the turbo'd Civic route using the D16 engine, the reliable peak of the engine would be 240-250whp (Around 290bhp to the engine), anymore than that and it was strongly advised to go forged.

Now, I heard 220bhp @ the fly was the safe limit of a 4E, but since joining UKSO, I've seen people running 250+ on stock internals on TD04's etc.

So just to clear up, what is the point you can take a healthy 4E to before you start running a high risk of blowing it up? Obviously I know every individual engine has been treated differently, serviced at different intervals etc, but say a nice mid-mileage example, good healthy engine with good service patterns... Just for reference.

Any info is much appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Dollar

I knew I'd get an answer like that, lol.

Well to make it easier to answer, I'm not looking for a mathematical answer with 500 factors. More like, how much power have people on here ran, and for how long? Obviously if somebody made 250bhp on the dyno, that doesn't mean it's reliable. I'm looking for how long people had their power levels for before they encountered problems. Obviously I can see who was most reliable from that, and factoring in the difference between each engine, I can work out a safe, relative output :)

Gotta remember that dynos read differently too, theres not realy a power limit so too speak its more a boost limit, 96% of people go 1bar on td04 as thats the norm and what the majority of tuners like too do, other people push the boat out a little, heard of 1 or 2 4e's running 1.4 bar on a td04 and makin 260+ on a standard motor.

Well it's not just about power, but it's not just about boost either. 1 bar on a CT9 is a lot differant to 1 bar on a GT28 or similar. Obviously cylinder pressure has a lot to do with the longevity of an engine too. If I strapped a TD04 on 1 bar to a 4E and ran it for a month, then stuck a GT35 on it and ran 1 bar, it wouldn't last the same. As most people run TD04's, let's just say a nice healthy engine, running a TD04. So far it seems 220-240bhp will be the most reliable power...

remember later model 4efte's have toothpick rods too so you should use a little more restraint in tuning them. 180hp atw seems to be a good ballpark figure before the ringlands start to fail. Tuning plays a huge part too. Tuning safely on a good ecu and bodging it up with a fcd and rrfpr will give large variants. There has been a lot higher figures but average, reliable power... around 180hp atw.

180atw in Aus is like 300hp in the uk though isnt it? :p :p :p

www.s314kba.co.uk/leaderboard

lots of comparable data here for you to digest :)

Great thread, cheers!

Well if you do something correctly, you should have it tuned properly too, but I guess not everyone does this.

Well it seems a stock 4E with a TD04 on 1 bar, with a good tune is a fast, reliable starting point, and doesn't risk reliability. Pretty sure a 900KG Glanza with 240bhp would be startling lol.

Yeah I read about the older 4E's and there better rods. Kind of funny, as the older EP82 got rods which could reliably handle more power, but was the CT9A not a lower output turbo compared to the Glanza's CT9B?

Its a complete minefield, general rule of thumb is 1bar on TD04 will run all day long, when you start going higher than that depending on what condition your engine is in, it could last years or months! but 1bar seems to be the safe zone and gives good power results with good management,

it was road mapped by gi motorsport in kilmarnock i never had it put on the dyno as the number side of things didnt bother me to much hard to tell what rpm it came in at if you have time to look at your rev counter you aint driving fast enough :p only thing i would say is my engine had 62k on it when it was done and when i got the car it was totaly standard bar a fmic so a very good base engine

felt fine tbh of course the ct9 was quiker response but am yet to meet anyone that hasnt said the td04 punch more than makes up for it. my only advise is if your going for it do it right the first time and et a mappable ecu as a posed to a plug and play they work fine at 1bar but theres alot to be gained from the e-manages for not much more money

I dont get all these peiole who whinge about turbo lag, if you want too drive something with out lag drive a honda there one of the best cars to drive ever, i drove jacks old ep3 and its by far the best car ive ever driven, reved so free and the powerband was mint naking peak power at 8300 rpm, got in my gt afterwards and god did it feel slow.