Arnolds 99V Glanza build - New WEPR TD04 Kit :D

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick update as haven't done a lot - all my money is going on my wedding, or paying off what I spent in Vegas! :s

The old girl developed another oil leak which turned out to be the rocker cover gasket, so that's been replaced again and all ok now. She passed it's MOT needing just a CV boot so that's done too. The front number plate has been bolted on as it kept falling off - I found one stuck to the side of a pub wall in Dorking!

Another minor issue that's appeared is it likes to idle around 3000rpm, so not sure what's causing that. The rear brake pads, new tyres and an alignment will be carried out probably after Christmas, and i'll get her prepared for another show season! She's already confirmed for BHP show and Japfest.

I'll find some photos and stick em up soon :)

A quick update as haven't done a lot - all my money is going on my wedding, or paying off what I spent in Vegas! :s

The old girl developed another oil leak which turned out to be the rocker cover gasket, so that's been replaced again and all ok now. She passed it's MOT needing just a CV boot so that's done too. The front number plate has been bolted on as it kept falling off - I found one stuck to the side of a pub wall in Dorking!

Another minor issue that's appeared is it likes to idle around 3000rpm, so not sure what's causing that. The rear brake pads, new tyres and an alignment will be carried out probably after Christmas, and i'll get her prepared for another show season! She's already confirmed for BHP show and Japfest.

I'll find some photos and stick em up soon :)

With mine, it always leaks unless some silicone is applied either all around or where the manual says silicone should be applied (at the camshaft areas of the rocker cover)

Edited by jiggaman_16
  • 3 months later...

I haven't posted here for a while as I've not done a lot to the old girl, but the exhaust flexi is blowing again. How do you guys get around this issue! Must be like my fourth one now. The handbrake seized on over winter so got the pads replaced, they were pretty low so that was probably the cause, and my front tyres are now extremely worn and will be replaced before Japfest when she'll be on track. Apart from that she's still running nicely! I plan to have some new electrical bits fitted over the next month or so.

Wish I could inject money into her but wedding is still a priority at the moment! To the point where I've considered selling her on, but I've come to my senses and hanging on to her as long as I can! The car I mean.

Edited by Arnold

I don't have a flex at all in mine :)

Yeah when I didn't have one, it kept cracking the manifolds instead! My WEPR cracked three times before I sold it and my Tuning Developments one has split too. Had the Flexi introduced shortly afterwards, which now keeps splitting instead!

Edited by Arnold

I know in the old days of cars they didn't use flexy exhausts. Used solid exhaust with loose/very flexible exhaust mounts.

Well as this keeps happening, i'm thinking the only solution is to just have a front exit one that doesn't smash into the ground!

Fitted my 3Pod holder this weekend. Planning to have my Wideband, Boost and Oil pressure gauge in here, although I have a choice of Volt, water temperature and oil temperature to choose from too. The other three will probably be mounted to the dashboard. Tried the single DIN gauge holder but the Glanza plastic panel wouldn't fit back over the top. Tried cutting it up to make it smaller but still had the same issue, then I ended up binning it.

apillar3pod.jpg

Edited by Arnold
  • 1 month later...

April 2015 update

Quick update on the car as we head into show season.

I've had a new set of Toyo Proxies T1-R's all round fitted, along with a full alignment done to try and sort out my handling issues. Couldn't afford Goodyear Eagle F1's this time but very impressed with Toyo's grip in the dry. The handling is also a million times better although the steering wheel is still slightly off centre when i'm going straight, but it's no where near as bad as it used to be before the alignment. Alignment was done at Wheels in Motion

I've also had another custom exhaust flexi fitted to replace my old one which was smashed to pieces, and another o2 sensor bung welded into the pipe. This has fixed the majority of my tractor sound however I've now discovered another leak around my Tial wastegate, possibly the v band bracket but I'm hoping it's not another crack on the manifold! It's quite hard to tell at this stage.

I've also removed the catch tank and given that a clean up. There was quite a bit of fluid in the tank, but it didn't have the residue of thick oil, it was more watery. The pipes were quite gunked up with the mayo stuff as well, so I guess it's doing its job.

I'm also currently working on a custom mount for my gopro camera, attached to the interior light. Just sticking it on is too much weight and it pulls the plastic cover off, and when I managed to get it to stick, it vibrated too much and the footage was poor, so the plastic cover is now bolted through the light switch itself and into the roof, with the mount being attached to the cover. I also bought 3 52mm Gauge pods from Monster Motorsport on eBay and typically being from eBay, they didn't fit my dials (not deep enough). I've cut the backs off them all so now they fit ok, and will mount them at some point.

2015-03-28)NewTyres.jpg

2015-03-30)ExhaustFlexi.jpg

2015-03-30)WheelsInMotionAlignment.jpg

2015-04-14)KevinG.jpg

2015-04-01)Glanza.jpg

2015-04-18)DialPod.jpg

2015-04-22)ExhaustBits.jpg

2015-04-28)VBandLeak.jpg

I'll upload some more photos soon :)

Al

Edited by Arnold
  • 2 weeks later...

My glanza back at the garage again having my Tuning Developments turbo manifold re-welded for the third time. Hoping to have it back this week as it'll be on track at Japfest, this Saturday

Well the car made it to Japfest fine after having its manifold repaired, and gave it a blast around the track. The back end felt light in a lot of the bends, and understeered quite a bit as well, so generally didn't have much confidence in it. Still, I didn't crash and was able to drive it home with a bit of a whine coming from somewhere, but it lives to race another day.

Some photos, taken by others

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack02.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack03.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack04.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack05.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack06.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack07.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack08.jpg

2015-05-16)JapfestTrack01.jpg

• 3 months later...

I haven't posted since Japfest as I've been busy getting married and stuff, so some small updates.

The day before Japfest 2, I was taken out on a roundabout by some woman in the wrong lane. The damage is fixable, and thankfully their insurance admitted liability and settled on a payment after a few days. They were talking about writing it off at one point, but I don't think they realised the actual value of it at the time, and just assumed it was a UK Starlet.

So a few photos, which i've previously posted in a different thread.

post-6020-0-15269000-1439805517_thumb.jp

post-6020-0-40221300-1439805502_thumb.jp

I've acquired a replacement front wing, and front indicator. I've also gone for a new panel behind the headlight that the wing bolts onto. The bumper has also been ordered from ID Workz which needs to be made. Once the replacement is fitted and painted up, i'll have a go at repairing this one. Something i've done before several years ago and it'll be good to have a spare.

About 4-6 weeks ago, I had an exhaust o2 sensor bung welded on my exhaust for my Wideband, and completed a front LED and HID upgrade too. I may remove the HID's though as i'm not sure if they're blinding other drivers!

post-6020-0-10568200-1440508593.jpg

post-6020-0-42835100-1440508587.jpg

Fitted these (right) which weren't bright enough, so replaced them with the ones on the left instead

post-6020-0-25963900-1440508590.jpg

Once my wedding is paid off, I expect to be doing a lot more to the car again!

Edited by Arnold

Them lights for the rear ???? The led ones ?

Fronts sorry. The rears have been converted to LED already, with some details about that conversion somewhere on the first page.

I've upgraded the front sidelights and indicators. Had to change the polarity of the indicators and connect up a set of load resistors too. Worth the hassle as they're very bright!

• 2 months later...

Hello all.

Another quick update. I repaired the car using a second hand wing, front indicator housing and stuck the original bumper back on, and managed to get it to JAE. Front fog is a little cracked, but that's in and working ok. I've got some replacement headlights as they're both damaged but unfitted as yet. I've also got a replacement Toms bumper from ID Workz, but that's still sealed as I may not fit. At JAE, I had some of the car park dents in the rear 1/4 pulled, which makes the car much nicer to look at. They bugged me for ages.

Shortly after, I noticed that I might have a water leak, but not sure where from. There's a pool of water at the bottom of the radiator, but the water level doesn't appear to be dropping much so i'm unsure. I bought a second hand radiator just to rule that out, but annoyingly and typically my luck, the "Glanza fit" radiator turns out to be a standard single core 57cm one, which is just crap and won't do.

Just to add more misery, my Tuning Developments manifold has cracked again for the third time this year, so I've really lost interest at the moment. Spending like £120 a time to get it repaired, only for it to crack months later isn't fun. The MOT has run out now so she doesn't currently move anywhere really. I went to start the car the car just to keep it moving and the battery was dead, so chucked a new one in (under guarantee). She still leaks oil! Despite various attempts at sorting that, it's coming out from various places.

I love her when she works, but I don't love her as she is right now, and seriously lost faith in it. I guess we've all been there at some stage!

Some Photos of the repair.

post-6020-0-92347400-1448298076.jpg

post-6020-0-24985100-1448298080.jpg

post-6020-0-55067200-1448298083.jpg

post-6020-0-80954800-1448298086.jpg

post-6020-0-30682200-1448298090.jpg

post-6020-0-11200000-1448298093.jpg

post-6020-0-33064500-1448298096.jpg

Edited by Arnold
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought myself a ex gated TD04 compatible mild steel manifold, downpipe etc from WEPR to replace the one I've currently got, so hope to have that and a few other electrical bits fitted January! Can't wait to get her back on the road again. The screamer will be plumbed back into the downpipe, and the manifold adapted by WEPR to support a clamp vband Tial wastegate

(Pic of the stainless kit)

post-6020-0-51190600-1450441360.jpg

Edited by Arnold
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have taken the Glanza to my mechanic friend to fit all the new WEPR stuff above, fix the radiator leak and MOT the car. The radiator is leaking from where the manifold had cracked, which basically burnt a hole straight through it! The radiator will be replaced for a new one too.

Can't wait to have her back!