Antifreeze dilemma...

Just a bit of help guys...

If a car has had blue antifreeze in the water system for all it's life but the engine is taken out the water is all lost due to disconnecting all the water hoses...

Then if you drop the same engine into another car and then put it back together and use pink antifreeze is that ok?

Or was there still water with the blue antifreeze in the block that was taken out?

Is the pink mixed with the blue if there is some still in the block or did it all drain out when it was removed all we had was pink to use...

Is this ok?

Cheers guys

Edited by Ep'd

They say pinks better, it doesn't really matter IMO I've mixed them in the rover and its still alive.

Will be using pink in the v tho.

Edit: bear in mind the rover is an old dog tho lol.

Edited by Lew91

Blue antifreeze has a recommended change interval of 2 years and red antifreeze is the longlife coolant that has a recommended change interval of 5 years.

Red has more/stronger corrosion prevention basically.

I'm sure mixing them very slightly is ok, but if you are worried then flush it all out again and run a hose pipe through your cooling system. Take the car for a drive with 100% water in the cooling system, and then drain. Then fill with your desired coolant antifreeze mix :)

But you see when we did the engine swap it was good as drained as we disconnected the engine rad etc... Loads of water pissed out...

But my question is would there have been still water in the block?

If so how much would of stayed in the block if any?

Is the swap and loosing all that water more a less classed as a drain?

This Is what I'm confused about ?

Edited by Ep'd

I will flush it again though !!!!

But just thought that everything would have emptied as the amount of bucket gulls that pissed out

Thought that was a equivalent of doing a flush lol

Antifreeze and coolant are one and the same. They work to increase the boiling point, decrease the freezing temperature, increase the specific heat capacity and also to stop corrosion due to engines tending to contain lots of different metals.

Pink and blue should not be mixed in quantity otherwise you get a horrid brown sludge

mixcoolant.jpg

Pink generally contains 0ATs which are needed for newer engines (type of acid inhibitor)

Blue is for older engines (about pre 98)

Antifreeze and coolant are one and the same. They work to increase the boiling point, decrease the freezing temperature, increase the specific heat capacity and also to stop corrosion due to engines tending to contain lots of different metals.

Pink and blue should not be mixed in quantity otherwise you get a horrid brown sludge

mixcoolant.jpg

Pink generally contains 0ATs which are needed for newer engines (type of acid inhibitor)

Blue is for older engines (about pre 98)

Brilliant.

I don't think I mixed antifreeze as I disconnected all the hoses pulled the lump out and in is this equivalent to a flush then filled it and put pink antifreeze in???

Not correct, anti-freeze does purely that, it allows the water to go below 0 degrees C. It does not increase the boiling point and does not increase the waters specific heat capacity. The only way of increasing the boiling point is by raising the pressure of the closed system. Race engines do not run anti-freeze because it affects the cooling capacity of the water, hence why a lot of people will tell you to run pure water when doing track days.

Edited by AdamB

Is it the same thing as doing a flush ?

^

I don't think I mixed antifreeze as I disconnected all the hoses pulled the lump out and in is this equivalent to a flush then filled it and put pink antifreeze in???

^^

There will still be some old stuff in the block, water pump, rad etc.

Fill it, run the engine, drop the coolant, fill with pure water, drop again, repeat this a couple of times, then fill up and run as normal.

Or you could connect a hose pipe to the system and flush like you would a heater matrix.