Hey all. Well i had a missfire before whenever i came on boost, so i got a brand new oem dizzy cap and rotor arm and also some new leads. That fixed the problem perfectly, was well happy.

Anyway, boosting along the other day on the motorway and thought id go for a nice run in 3rd, see'ing as i have a gt box i'd see how long the gear is as i hadn't done it for a while. So there i go in 3rd gear full boost, hits AROUND 6k revs and starts to missfire??????

What can be the problem? I run idium plugs, i have cleaned them up proper, polished them up and took a fine bit of sand paper on the electrodes but still no luck. Everything else is brand new i.e, rotor arm, dizzy cap and leads!

HELP!

Edited by Rbz.

Not 100% sure to be honest if u have changed everything for new , don't know If the boost would be blowing a spark out but can't see it as your not running massive power or if a spark plug is generally worn and not making a good

Enough connection when on boost for a decent period :( one of those annoying problems

Not 100% sure to be honest if u have changed everything for new , don't know If the boost would be blowing a spark out but can't see it as your not running massive power or if a spark plug is generally worn and not making a good

Enough connection when on boost for a decent period :( one of those annoying problems

Yeah i'm only running 0.8bar - 1bar soo...

Hmmm, i guess i should really try brand new plugs but i've not so sure if it is even the plugs :/.

Gap?

Gap should have been pre-set and plus as i said i've had these plugs in for about a year now with no issues untill now.

Coil or ignitor mate. Will it pick up again after 6k or does it just completely drop off the power?

I have never tried to carry on boosting, it scares me haha. Whenever i've done, i've obviously been full boosting, then it's hit the missfire and just pops and that but as far as i know in the short time i stayed in the missfire period it didn't drop power.

A symptom of a coil/ignitor is that they give a missfire at a specific rpm and then it stops.

Might be worth chucking a set of new plugs in there anyway mate just to rule it out.

Yeah that's a good call atleast it will rule it out and they will be fresh!

So if it's not the plugs, then what what will i be looking at next? I'm not too familiar with ignition other than the basics which i've already done.

Either the coil or ignitor, they are earthed through the bracket onto the firewall, so make sure its getting a good earth there as well.

I think I may have a set of heat range 7 irridums in my toolbox mate if your interested?

Either the coil or ignitor, they are earthed through the bracket onto the firewall, so make sure its getting a good earth there as well.

I think I may have a set of heat range 7 irridums in my toolbox mate if your interested?

Ok mate i will have to have a rumage around! Do you have a pic of where it is exactly as i've never seen it before? Or is it obvious..

Yeah? How much mate? What condition? Gapped?

Its the unit the king lead from the dizzy runs to rob and as for gapping plugs get a set of feeler guages between the gap of the plug and close or open the gap as per desiered size. And please note I've said it a billion times on here and tgtt plugs dont come pre gapped!!! It a myth, they dont employ a man to pre gap everyones plugs as they order them. Imagine how many cars starlet fitment plugs also fit, and each one at a different optimum gap?! Why would they be pre gapped lol

Its the unit the king lead from the dizzy runs to rob and as for gapping plugs get a set of feeler guages between the gap of the plug and close or open the gap as per desiered size. And please note I've said it a billion times on here and tgtt plugs dont come pre gapped!!! It a myth, they dont employ a man to pre gap everyones plugs as they order them. Imagine how many cars starlet fitment plugs also fit, and each one at a different optimum gap?! Why would they be pre gapped lol

Ohhh ok man thanks!

That is actually very true man, i never thought of it like that haha. Sorry for being iggnorant about it lol! What is the gap supposed to be? 0.8?

Gap them with some pliers and a feeler tool, did it on both my cars and they felt a lot smoother!

Thanks man.

Put the feel Guage in the gap and tap it on a piece of wood til it closes up

Don't do it with pliers as you can damage the plug

I have spare coil from my beaker too Rob. So send me a message of you need anything like that :)

So the gap needs to go smaller does it? I'm guessing so, as if they are too big it can lose the spark or the spark isn't strong enough? Am i right?

Ok man, i have never changed a coil in a starlet so i have no idea what to do lol but i'll try the plugs first.

FCD working ok?

Also a year on them plugs the'll be due to be changed! the tip on iridiums dont last long!!!

Yeah man fcd is spot on! EML doesn't come on so im pretty certain it isn't fuel cut.

Really? Ok man thanks for the heads up.

Ok mate i will have to have a rumage around! Do you have a pic of where it is exactly as i've never seen it before? Or is it obvious..

Yeah? How much mate? What condition? Gapped?

Like £22 delivered mate? Brand new in the box never used them as my engine blew on my old starlet before I had a chance to throw em in. Won't be needing them for my new build I doubt. Best to check the gaps anyway mate.

The gap you want to be the biggest possible without blowing the spark out, the larger the gap the stronger the spark.

Haha tis k mate dont want ya to think was blasting ya was just a shout out to all in general who think plugs are pre gapped ;) and yea is .7 or .8 i cant remeber tbh, i think its been covered befor mind.

Haha no worries bro! I've read before .7 or .8 like you said, just not sure which one it is haha! I'll check up on it though before hand.

Adam i will PM you my good sir.

Thank you for all of the replys lads really appreciate it. I rarely hit 6k revs when i drive anyway lol but it's just one of those things id rather wasn't there!