as i posted before i was buying a starlet and i was let down. ive spent a few days looking at some and i have to go see one tomorrow and two on saturday. does anyone have tips when looking at these cars? do they have head gasket problems or anything like that? i want one thats reliable :/ im spending around £1300 - £1500. is that the average price range? i was offered one with a bucket seat that was wrecked, rusted bonnet and smashed bumpers for £500 lol. i thought, no thank you :o!

little bit angry right now :( i was hoping to take it to the Leicester meet but yeah. grrr lol.

Right, please dont take this the wrong way, but you get what you pay for when buying anything, personally i would look to buy a car off the forum that has a build thread and a little history

For your price range the car will need work and before splashing out i would get an insurance quote so you know what it is gonna cost you.

John

As always great advice from the lads there.. The one that was for £500, like said before, could very easily become a nice little car for less than £1000 total as long as its mechanically sound.

I'd say your budget is a little low, for that price you will be likely to pick one with problems..

GT's go within the region of £1500-£3000 depending on the spec

Glanza's between £2000-3500 again, depending in spec.

There are a lot for sale over that price however most will be forged motors and will end up being broken for parts to ensure a good return.

So after my little essay, I would personally up your budget and try and pick up a pretty standard car and make it your own OR look at that car for £500, make sure the engine / gearbox / chassis is all sound and tidy it up :)

Matt

Edited by Matt1878

I'd say expect some kinda work with any car you get, these cars are getting old now and things will go from time to time. I thought mine was mint but lots of little things needed sorting like the windscreen washers we're working so had to get a new pump, electric windows were sticking so needed the runners a good clean, new front brakes, new tyres as it came with gash ones, boot lifters dont hold the boot up, alignment needed done etc...

Like the boys said. Make sure its mechanically sound and the shell is in good condition (no rust/major dents etc)

I was going to keep mine standard but it was too tempting to get modding. The price of my insurance never changed when i told them about my mods (alloys, coilovers, exhaust, new sound system)

My advice would be to bring a friend that knows his starlets, to many shit boxes and bad cunts out there that cover up the cars bad points just for the viewing, a friend of mine got caught out lately thinking he would come back and surprise everyone with his lovely red glanza, little did he no it was one of the biggest shit boxes i ever came across, all it took was a phone call to me or one of the lads and he would of had himself a good one.