Hi

I am pretty new to turbos so dont know much but am having a few issues with my turbo / boost (not really sure)

I only got the car yesterday and I have been having this problem when I put my foot down the turbo kicks in and when the third boost light comes on it really lags and makes a funny noise. I am not sure what to do, go and try and get my money back or try and fix it myself.

Please give me your thoughts. It also has a Blitz dump valve and a front mount intercooler which has a leak somewhere.

This is just my luck :( really like the car but dont want to end up having to spend thousands

thank you xxx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No engine management but looks like a sensor is taped up so could be stopping that from coming on? I'll get a picture of engine as the inter cooler is pretty big so do you think that would make it lag? Xx

Check the engine light comes on when the ignition is initially switched on, could be a bulb out if it is fuel cut (cost like 20p to replace and takes minutes).

But fuel cuts like the engine completely dying out for a small amount of time if its over boosting. Then it'll come back to life

Intercooler should be fine some people run huge ones some run tiny.

Thats deffo a missfire as it still pulls rather than completely cuts.

Things to check:

Spark plugs

Ignition leads

Dizzy cap

Rotor arm

These are all serviceable parts are fairly cheap, check traders on here for quotes.

I've had this a few times with mine, first time I had a standard HT king lead that ha a slight nick changed it for a Magnecore one and it stopped.

Second time the dizzy cap was corroded and the carbon brush in the centre had been jammed (it's on a spring and moves out to make contact with the rotor arm as it wears).

And also had the water down with the spark plug scenario many moons ago.

More than likely something very simple

Hey! Yep we will change all of the above, we had a boost gauge on it today and it's when it gets to maximum boost that's when it misfires. If you keep the boost below max it doesn't happen. Also engine light is completely off as doesn't even come on when I put ignition on. Thank you so much for all comments. I will let you know how I get on. I also have a coolant leak, it seems as though the expansion vessel fills up and overflows and radiator is loosing fluid (strange) xx

Your EML light should come on when the ignition is switched on and go off after the engine is switched on, unless theres a fault. No light at all suggests the bulb is blown or been taken out.

Also, get the coolant sniff tested for exhaust gas, sounds like your headgasket is about to / aready has gone pop.

A lot of these wee cars have been abused sadly.

We don't really know. I think it is but it's not doing it everytime I go out. How do I find out if it is head/block? If it is headgasket that's not too bad I can deal with that but if it's block don't know what i will do. :( xx

before you go buying new parts just give the plugs a brush with a soft wire brush and check the gap on them. unless there obviously well past ready for changing.

Yeah will do, I've checked one of the plugs and it seems ok. Think I will do a service on it anyway. I work for a car parts company so not a massive problem getting the little parts :) will get it sniff tested Monday and have it all flushed through before I get anything. Xx

That isn't a good sign, is it filling up the expansion bottle when on boost? Normally means a headgasket failure or a crack in the head/block.

Cant be that it would do it all the time if it was...

It could be a fueling issue if it does it when you get to a certain boost level...