Glanza Shopping Common problems? Things to look out for?

Piston rings goin, manifolds cracking, boost wound right up, made up parts and figures fitted

How would I know if piston rings are going? :) and what do you mean made up parts mate?

Sorry I seriously no nothing about engines lol just gone from a 1.1 c2 where its all computers to a Glanza

always always do a compression check when buying a starlet,makesure its warm etc

always run diagnostic from diag port in engine bay,

makesure car boosts up well,

smoke on start up,smoke on full boost etc etc

Doing a compression test on a car your buying privately? LOL

Very good you gny turn up at the sellers house with your toolbox? Haha Ive heard it all now.

Just be vigilant mate and if possible post up a link to the ad on here and im sure people will give you some assistance.

Even better is to buy a car off the forum where the history is available on here like Matts.

Main things are to start it from cold and have a listen to the engine for any knocking and check the rear for smoke.

Check the oil looks good and not just black water.

Check for signs of accident damage aswell.

If I was buying outwith the forum I would be aiming for as standard an example as possible that way it hasnt been modified incorrectly.

If it looks clean, looked after with plenty of history then you're probably on to a good thing. Mine was completely standard when I bought her so I knew it was looked after and not abused. I wouldn't touch one that has a FCD installed personally.

If it looks clean, looked after with plenty of history then you're probably on to a good thing. Mine was completely standard when I bought her so I knew it was looked after and not abused. I wouldn't touch one that has a FCD installed personally.

I'm glad someone else has the same opinion there.. I hate those things!

Very good you gny turn up at the sellers house with your toolbox? Haha Ive heard it all now.

Lol why not? you hardly need a whole tool kit. Screw pissing a load of money on a car that could have a cracked ring / done gasket.

Edited by RobSR

Just be vigilant mate and if possible post up a link to the ad on here and im sure people will give you some assistance.

Even better is to buy a car off the forum where the history is available on here like Matts.

Main things are to start it from cold and have a listen to the engine for any knocking and check the rear for smoke.

Check the oil looks good and not just black water.

Check for signs of accident damage aswell.

If I was buying outwith the forum I would be aiming for as standard an example as possible that way it hasnt been modified incorrectly.

whats wrong with doing a compression test when buying a car??

I did if your confident you car is perfect when selling you'd have nothing to worry about

You can tell if a ringland has gone...

It will be misfiring and smoking... it will also spit out through the breather system and out the dipstick tube...

Do all the usual car checks... You will be able to tell what kind of life its had by having a good look round it :)

Partially for the reasons Socks gave above there is no need to, other more reasonable checks can be done.

You dont own this car so you dont have the right to do it. You reckon if you walked into a car dealership they would let you start to strip down a car to compression check it?

If I was selling my car and some text book weekend mechanic turned up with a compression test I'd tell him where to go. It's all fine and well doing the usual checks with your eyes ears and hands. There would be no way someone ive just met would be taking any tools to my car whether it meant a sale or not.

Say they go to do a compression test and strip the threads on the spark plug mount? You think they will cough up for you to fix it? By all means they can request you have it done at a workshop which would take responsibility but nah no way theyd be doing it in the street its just not how private sales work.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Partially for the reasons Socks gave above there is no need to, other more reasonable checks can be done.

You dont own this car so you dont have the right to do it. You reckon if you walked into a car dealership they would let you start to strip down a car to compression check it?

If I was selling my car and some text book weekend mechanic turned up with a compression test I'd tell him where to go. It's all fine and well doing the usual checks with your eyes ears and hands. There would be no way someone ive just met would be taking any tools to my car whether it meant a sale or not.

Say they go to do a compression test and strip the threads on the spark plug mount? You think they will cough up for you to fix it? By all means they can request you have it done at a workshop which would take responsibility but nah no way theyd be doing it in the street its just not how private sales work.

my circumstance was different as i was buying a forged engine so i had to check. You have valid points though but theres so many shady people that do things to try and hide its faults.

I would definately take consideration to the fact its a forged engine I will concede that but thats completely different circumstances it is the main selling point of the car and a upward of £2k expense. Not only that but with a forged engine you would like proof of the work in the 1st place and for it to be up to scratch.

As far as standard engine go normal checks are all that is necessary.