Glanza Owners Public Service Announcement

As some of you know i recently blew the glanza engine to bits, and tonight had 5 minutes to remove the sump and have a quick look.

Here are a few photos for now, there will be more when the crank etc is out and the head is off.

All im trying to get at is WHAT THE FeCK Did toyota think putting these rods in the later 4EFTES, Look at the size of them. My standard 5E Rods are twice as thick, no wonder they fail

Not trying to scare anyone as i know i had a bigish turbo on it, but these engines can take a bit of power but not for long, it must stress them to death in a short space of time!

Also to note the crank is undamaged by the looks of things, there is ZERO play in the bearings and it still turns over so the bearings where fine. It has just snapped the rod like a twig.

20131014_211405_zps297374d4.jpg

20131014_211851_zpse6fc79f4.jpg

20131014_211415_zps44548d18.jpg

20131014_211902_zpsee64a81c.jpg

20131014_211907_zps35d28f0b.jpg

20131014_211421_zps0cb97b33.jpg

20131014_211856_zpsedb193c9.jpg

It was a VF24 At 1.0bar. Excellent AFRs on the rich safe side, timing was pretty safe also (Retarded) And was running amazing for about 6months on the VF24, 4months previous on a TF035 And years before on a CT9.

Had done 90,000 thereabouts mix of miles and kms, engine was oil changed every 2-3k with millers or silkolene pro s

Still cant find the cause other than stress

I don't think Toyota designed them with 200bhp and bigger turbo's in mind so slagging them off for the thickness of the stock rods is a bit dumb :)

Stock engine they will go forever or at least a very long time if well looked after.

You mod it, you break, blame yourself not the car :)

I don't think Toyota designed them with 200bhp and bigger turbo's in mind so slagging them off for the thickness of the stock rods is a bit dumb :)

Stock engine they will go forever or at least a very long time if well looked after.

You mod it, you break, blame yourself not the car :)

Not once did i slag it off, All im trying to do is show people what the standard bottom ends are like while everyone thinks there safe for 200Bhp+

And yes a stock engine will go for a while,

Wouldnt say it was dumb as i was expecting it, hence why i have built a forged 5e...

so u were running about 290 bhp?

afr is perfectly safe as hell

i think that these engines are pretty strong really but if its 250 or over with standard rods well......

No mate i dont think it was that high, a bar on a vf24 shouldnt be that high, i dont think lol

And mabye but not for long, the stress over time must weaken the shit out of them as they were never designed with this much power in mind by the looks of it, just an N/A Motor with a lower compression and a turbo really

Madness how thin they are! But at the same time its amazing how much punishment they can take!!! Pluss your engine was well into 80k miles! I kicked the fuck out of it and so did sam lol

I think the location of where you live plays a big part on an engine! up big banks every day of the week engine load etc they are only a 1.3 at the end of the day!

At least you done it in style :p

Not once did i slag it off, All im trying to do is show people what the standard bottom ends are like while everyone thinks there safe for 200Bhp+

And yes a stock engine will go for a while,

Wouldnt say it was dumb as i was expecting it, hence why i have built a forged 5e...

No mate i dont think it was that high, a bar on a vf24 shouldnt be that high, i dont think lol

And mabye but not for long, the stress over time must weaken the shit out of them as they were never designed with this much power in mind by the looks of it, just an N/A Motor with a lower compression and a turbo really

5E should put up with some abuse then, you gonna stick the vf24 on that or go down another turbo route?

Luck of the draw mate I think with 200bhp+ on stock 4E's. I've know some to run for years and others to run for weeks :)

Madness how thin they are! But at the same time its amazing how much punishment they can take!!! Pluss your engine was well into 80k miles! I kicked the fuck out of it and so did sam lol

I think the location of where you live plays a big part on an engine! up big banks every day of the week engine load etc they are only a 1.3 at the end of the day!

At least you done it in style :p

I know you did you radged bastard lol, and tbf i drove it a bit mental, and it was tracked... And yeh it was into the 80k marker but there is no wear anywhere on the thing. Engine is immaculate bar the damage it wasnt worn and old is my point, if it was a bit ratty then yeh:P

It was a 98 spec FTE i blew up aswell, i put it in my old GT to get it up and running. I didnt even bother to strip it down because it was catastrophic, rod right through the sump lol. TD04 @ a bar on a Mines P&P.

Yeh they go with style! This had 4 holes and split the block in many places

5E should put up with some abuse then, you gonna stick the vf24 on that or go down another turbo route?

Luck of the draw mate I think with 200bhp+ on stock 4E's. I've know some to run for years and others to run for weeks :)

It should do dave, ARP etc into it so not a basic forged motor, should be able to cope with a lot!!

And yeh as i have heard before your mabye right. Some last for ages!

For all you know when you've been giveing it death on the track as you been turning corners etc the oil could of been getting pulled away from that outside rod leading to oil starvation etc could of scrod the shell/crank then the fun began of the rod leveing the block :) haha that will of happend due to wear and tear

Edited by micky boy

Mate! Bad times! Feel for you

Just as a side note, an afr reading alone doesn't mean an engine is running "safe" because it's hitting 11 on full boost. It's still critically important that the ignition timing is correct through the rev range. Mine was happily rich on full boost and it still melted all the pistons because it ran hot for a number of reasons.

Anyways hope you get that 5e in it soon and get it back running :)

Mate! Bad times! Feel for you

Just as a side note, an afr reading alone doesn't mean an engine is running "safe" because it's hitting 11 on full boost. It's still critically important that the ignition timing is correct through the rev range. Mine was happily rich on full boost and it still melted all the pistons because it ran hot for a number of reasons.

Anyways hope you get that 5e in it soon and get it back running :)

Thanks charl, and yep i know ignition timing was also good, was all checked before i started driving the thing hard, was all set up safe really!

And yeh main reason yours melted was the timing :(

Hopefully get the 5E in tommorow, we will see!