Extremely high idle on cold start.

I know it's normal to have a high idle on cold start.. But mine seems to be around 2k? Then drops to what it's always idled at which is a touch below 1k.

Anyone know any reason as to why it would do that? Once it's warm it's fine, whenever I stop at lights or whatever it's perfect. Just only whenever I start the car.. Come to think of it even when it is warm, whenever I start the car again it will go straight to 2k revs then drop straight away to just under 1k and settle there.

Anyone?

Not sure if it's due to the cold weather or what..

But it's only been like it with this engine since I put this forged one in. My old engine was fine.

I only bring it up because it's a bit annoying when I start my car up with a 3" front exit lol, I must do my neighbours heads in!!

Have you checked the coolant? I had the same problem with mine when the coolant level dropped down and wasn't running through the throttle body properly and was messing up the idle control valve. There's a plate underneath that you can take off and clean out the valve. Doing that cured mine so could be a similar problem?

Mines idles at 2k also when started from cold. It soon drops down to around 1300 though (in less then two minutes), then down to 1k :)

I put a corolla manifold on my n/a and it sat at 2.5k at cold, and after I took a look at it the throttle cable rubber part was stuck in the actual throttle arm, making the cable tighter. I put the rubber back and it went back down to 2k idle like normal :)

higher idle when cold will speed up wear and uneven heating/warping on parts, thats common sense, it may not cause any major problems over the time of ownership but on the otherhand, it may. For the sake of sorting it out, it could save you or the next owner a whole lot of heartache.