How to fit my Fmi??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM THE GRAVEYARD SECTION FROM SOMEBODY WHO HAD A SERIOUS ACCIDENT.

COMMON SENSE ALSO SURELY TELLS YOU THAT REMOVING A STRUCTURAL PIECE OF URE CARS A STUPID THING TO

needed a few stitches to my head but out of hospital after a couple of hours.

I was driving along the M1 in lane 5, and aquaplaned. The car spun round across all 5 lanes and the rear right corner hit the armco barrier. That bounced me back into the carriageway across all 5 lanes into the concrete central reservation. Amazingly, I didn't hit anyone else. 10 meters of armco was replaced and so was the concrete wall.

The front crash bar definitely helped distribute the energy through the car. If you've removed one of these to fit a FMIC, i'd seriously consider putting it back!

Very very lucky indeed.

Edited by Arnold, 22 March 2013 - 10:25 AM.

Quote from the graveyard section of the forum.....

Edited by mikey4410

It isn't that structural tbf if you took you bumper off and kicked it it would bend.. people are takeing the full front cross member off to fit big turbos n that and it isn't affecting them at all really it's a small jap car from the 90,s if you crash is going to hurt I don't think that tiny bit of metal is going to save you my ex used to call it a fast biscuit tin and that's pritty much what it is

Edited by Whitenoize

It isn't that structural tbf if you took you bumper off and kicked it it would bend.. people are takeing the full front cross member off to fit big turbos n that and it isn't affecting them at all really it's a small jap car from the 90,s if you crash is going to hurt I don't think that tiny bit of metal is going to save you my ex used to call it a fast biscuit tin and that's pritty much what it is

Biscuit tin is being nice.

See tbh, I parked my car in front of my dad's rangerover, if I hit a jeep of any sort on going under it and I'm gonna die, a silly wee crash bar is going to do sweet fuck all in protecting me haha

Will I be able to hack saw the bar that goes to the bonnet catch or will that be impossible ?

Personally id keep the bar. If may not be strong but it helps disperse the energy from an impact to other structural areas.

Yes you can hack saw it. Remove bumper and you have access. I angle grinder it in 30 seconds done!

See image below. Where the top bolt is on the match cut about 1-2 inches below as you need that bolt to mount the front mouth too.

Then cut all the way down;

4BABE7C4-7380-4D58-BFC5-FEEA766E37AE-336

Then look closely under the bolt, you can see 1-2inches before I made my cut!

89B92E2D-FE64-437C-A48E-8EDA77C634CF-362

That was the only thing stopping mine coming up for a nice fit!

Why are people saying remove the crash bar when you dont have to lol

Yeah remove it to get the intercooler in its place but put it back onces its in its place lol

Theres 25000 people out there that have fitted this type of intercooler with the crash bar in place so if it works for one it will work for all :)

Take your time Ross and you'll get it to fit mint mate