I know this has been covered before but everyone seems to have different opinions and different answers that conflict. So want some definitive advice on cracking 100bhp.

Now I've read that the ee100 corollas with the 4efe engine have 99bhp, although a few sites say it could be 88 or 84 and one even said 74! Does anyone know how much power these actually produce? Been down to the scrappy today and found one and the only difference I can really see is the 4-2-1 exhaust Mani and obviously the ECU which has the 7200rpm rev limit? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

From what I've read the following should be enough to reach 100bhp:

- bugeye corolla inlet manifold

- bugeye corolla injectors (yellow-ish colour?)

- ee100 corolla 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

- ee100 corolla ECU

- decent catback exhaust

- decent panel filter

I'm probably being optimistic with 100bhp but any help is appreciated!

Sam.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97-99 corolla runs 89hp revs to around 6.5k still.

Tubular mani

Injectors

Map on the ecu

Maybe exhaust mani are the only differences

If you want to see 100 hp you will want a piggy back and a map with what else you've stated.

I wouldnt worry about the injectors as there's no way you will max the stock ones out.

I'm gonna be messing about with N/a stuff this year, i've got the 100ps Gen 1 JDM stuff sitting here from my 85,

ECU

Pink injectors

Inlet & TB (same as a FTE)

Exhaust mani

Engine loom & engine ancillarys, MAP sensor etc

Gonna get a GT shell and strap the lot to a 5E hopefully.

97-99 corolla runs 89hp revs to around 6.5k still.

Tubular mani

Injectors

Map on the ecu

Maybe exhaust mani are the only differences

If you want to see 100 hp you will want a piggy back and a map with what else you've stated.

I wouldnt worry about the injectors as there's no way you will max the stock ones out.

Hmmm, think I'm gonna have a play about and see what I can manage, anything around 90bhp and I'll be happy

I'm gonna be messing about with N/a stuff this year, i've got the 100ps Gen 1 JDM stuff sitting here from my 85,

ECU

Pink injectors

Inlet & TB (same as a FTE)

Exhaust mani

Engine loom & engine ancillarys, MAP sensor etc

Gonna get a GT shell and strap the lot to a 5E hopefully.

Sounds good! I'm gonna have a venture into N/A tuning just to see what's possible on a budget. Dont suppose you know if the pink injectors came in any other 4e powered cars? Same for the ECU because I imagine it'll be the same as the early 90s 4E corollas?

It'll be interesting to see what all that on a 5E will be like

Im not sure about the injectors tbh buddy, i imagine standard UK injectors would cope just fine.

A map is whats gonna make a really big difference, an EMB on a normal ECU should see good gains, with a few bolt ons obviously :)

It's all going to be down to the map. Bolt ons and a map, maybe get a thinner h/g to bump up the compression a tad.

5efhe cams would probably help but they're like hens teeth

I've got the chance of some the cams funnily enough, but they don't come with shims and I take it the 4E ones won't work?

Not looking to spend a vast amount so won't bother with a map, its just a bit of experimentation really with bolt ons

The shims you would need to measure the clearances on. Some of the 4e ones might be alright but others you might need to get new ones ir just raid a scrappy for some that fit

Any idea on the ideal clearance Morgey? Or is it a case of measuring what it is now and then matching it once the new cams are in?

Well ECUs are obviously different. Injectors too but I don't know which exactly are to wich Gen. So I state what I know.

The Corolla EE101 (4EFE Gen1):

88ps in europe, due to better fuel up to 100ps in Japan

Inlet: bigger, same as FTE (in fact FTE is based on Gen1)

4-2-1 exhaust mani (in two parts, for adapting on a starlet welding and a flexpipe are required)

Starlet and Corolla EE100 (4EFE Gen2):

75ps

4-1 exhaust

Higher compression

Smaller inlet mani

Thinner and lighter conrods at same strength as Gen1

Corolla EE111 and Glanza S (4EFE Gen3):

86ps (also up to 100 in Japan afaik)

Tubular inlet

Apart from that, ECU and injectors afaik same as Gen2 (Starlet 4E)

Some have different ignition setup

The Glanza S engine has a different fuel rail with higher pressure

@daniel: yes. That is why motion had Glanza S fuel rail and ECU on his car for some time.

@noel: and what info is wrong? This is the Information I got from two years of research and from German Starlet enthusiasts. Also Wikipedia backs me up on that.

Yes a 50mm throttle would be useful, but with the Gen1 parts and a EMU or similar to map it it would be easy to see 100hp.

Put a 50mm throttlebody off a 4afe corolla on a tubular manifold. It matches up right and the throttle sensor is a sensor.

Our uk gen2 is a more refined version of the gen1. The gen1 92-93 had 88ps with a up n down torque curve and 6500rev limit, the jdm had a higher limit hence 100ps. The gen1 used a 50mm tb and fte type manifold and the 4_2_1 ex manifold. It also had slighty more lift, slighty. The injectors were average squirty things and it had normal fuel pressure.

The gen2, our uk engine has 45mm throttlebody, longer AND narrower inlet runners and slightly, slighty less lift on the inlet cam. I believe to improve torque over the whole range. Bhp is also 10hp higher over the range until we hit our lower 6500rpm limit. The exhaust is a 4_1 type, its alot cheaper to make than the 4_2_1 but theres no evidence that it is better or worse than the gen1.

The gen2 also has a better type of injector- more missy spray than squirty squirty. It has a throttle sensor for more accurate tuning for mpg than the basic on off switch on the gen1 and fte. The idle control is on the tb instead of the manifold mounted gen1. It has 75bhp and is in the starlet and in corollas from 1993_1997 roughly

The bugeyed corolla is basically a gen2, although it has a tublar inlet manifold, this gives it 86bhp, same as when u put this manifold on your starlet! If you measure the runners they are bigger than all the other manifolds in diameter. If you measure all the demensions and get your little sister to do the maths like me youll see it uses some ram effect induction.

Then gen3 also has this tubular 86bhp inlet manifold. It is even more refined for emmisons and stuff than the uk gen2. It might have a 6800rpm limit. It uses coilpack ignition, a knock sensor and crankangle sensor to do its business. It has a 45mm throttlebody.

Its best to look at the offical toyota dynos for these engines then go look at the power leaderboard socks made and compare all our dyno printouts. Then see what mods made what power and importantly WHERE in the rev range it was made. Useable power and torque is more important than peak figures (this is not a honda forum) :-)

For reference I know fuck all about most things but I do know what doesnt work if that helps.

Put a 50mm throttlebody off a 4afe corolla on a tubular manifold. It matches up right and the throttle sensor is a sensor.

Our uk gen2 is a more refined version of the gen1. The gen1 92-93 had 88ps with a up n down torque curve and 6500rev limit, the jdm had a higher limit hence 100ps. The gen1 used a 50mm tb and fte type manifold and the 4_2_1 ex manifold. It also had slighty more lift, slighty. The injectors were average squirty things and it had normal fuel pressure.

The gen2, our uk engine has 45mm throttlebody, longer AND narrower inlet runners and slightly, slighty less lift on the inlet cam. I believe to improve torque over the whole range. Bhp is also 10hp higher over the range until we hit our lower 6500rpm limit. The exhaust is a 4_1 type, its alot cheaper to make than the 4_2_1 but theres no evidence that it is better or worse than the gen1.

The gen2 also has a better type of injector- more missy spray than squirty squirty. It has a throttle sensor for more accurate tuning for mpg than the basic on off switch on the gen1 and fte. The idle control is on the tb instead of the manifold mounted gen1. It has 75bhp and is in the starlet and in corollas from 1993_1997 roughly

The bugeyed corolla is basically a gen2, although it has a tublar inlet manifold, this gives it 86bhp, same as when u put this manifold on your starlet! If you measure the runners they are bigger than all the other manifolds in diameter. If you measure all the demensions and get your little sister to do the maths like me youll see it uses some ram effect induction.

Then gen3 also has this tubular 86bhp inlet manifold. It is even more refined for emmisons and stuff than the uk gen2. It might have a 6800rpm limit. It uses coilpack ignition, a knock sensor and crankangle sensor to do its business. It has a 45mm throttlebody.

Its best to look at the offical toyota dynos for these engines then go look at the power leaderboard socks made and compare all our dyno printouts. Then see what mods made what power and importantly WHERE in the rev range it was made. Useable power and torque is more important than peak figures (this is not a honda forum) :-)

For reference I know fuck all about most things but I do know what doesnt work if that helps.

Thanks for that mate! Gonna keep me busy as the local scrappy has gen 1, 2 and 3 4E's in as well as some 4afe's. Was looking at an FTE inlet Mani but the tubular seems to offer a more consistent torque curve so I'll stick with that.

I'm hoping for 8/9 seconds to 60, is that feasable Noel?