• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for that. very helpful!

Thanks guys, Im just recycling info that been around a while, I think the best thing to do is hope ryan lang gets his crash damage sorted and fits his obx exhaust manifold- Id love to see his dyno when thats done. The 50mm throttlbody is the key, I believe thats where the restriction is. A free flowing backbox and tuned exhaust manifold would help revs rise quicker too and reduce that bogging down we get when changing gear. I firmly believe our gen2 uk ecu and injectors are good and with these bolt on mods plus maybe fueling tweeked we'll see power

Thx Noel. That updates my knowledge quite a lot. I had the basics already but you have a bit more info.

But you should include the slightly different compression and the Starlets have the rev limit at 6300rpm.

Edited by Xpect

good job on the info noel.. all this info is gathered on the net somewhere just theres been so many threads with incorrect information its turned into Chinese whispers. im probably a culprit of it too somewhere down the line. lol

From what ive herd the 45mm throttle body is rated up to 130bhp so shouldnt be that much of a difference, i know when i changed my tb i felt no gain what so ever.
injectors meh, ive got the gen1 rolla ones, think money could be better spent but maybe a slight difference. I also dont think the obx is verry well suited for e series head, the difference in port diameter is quite large with ports that are suited for turbo application anyway. fhe cams arent worth while either imo, £200+ for 1mm extra lift?
this is all my personal opinion of corse. but if i was going to break the 100bhp mark, id get aftermarket valve springs hg whilst your there and make it rev to 8k on uprated ecu with the fte gen1 intake n bounce off limiter till the bottom end to goes :)

Edited by LukeH

But the cams would go out of performance range before 8k, that's where the fhe cams would help, that or get some custom ground cams.

Best gains for n/a tuning is raise the compression good set of cams and a decent map.

The idea behind the small tb and small runners is to increase the velocity of the air, tocreate more torque and increase the town drivability, Which might loose a bit of power. So fitting the corolla or fte intake would slow it down (probably) loose torque but gain a bit of power.

Again a bit of an opinion with no proof but just my thinking.

yea i agree, imo custom regrind would be the way forward, but let not forget 4efte and gen 1 4efe rev to 7.2k with the same cams so an extra 800rpm might not be that unrealistic, will help keep you right in the power band with a fte manifold. obvioulsly cams are needed to bring out the full potential.

i have no experience with the rolla intake, but the fte intake adjusts the power band completly, im using just uprated filter with std airbox to maintain air velocity and matched with a 4-2-1 to aid tourqe, i feel with just another 1k revs the car will come to life as its still gaining good power till the limiter. (6.2k)

Will be sourcing inspiration from this thread soon. Im replacing my 1e engine like for like and keeping the broken one to tune. Im gonna play around with whats possible on the old carb e series. Ill be using this thread and a few people I know in the old classic scene to help with ideas. Will be interesting lol

ill post all finds in my build thread...... or crying that I broke it haha

Best gains for n/a tuning is raise the compression good set of cams and a decent map.

The idea behind the small tb and small runners is to increase the velocity of the air, tocreate more torque and increase the town drivability, Which might loose a bit of power. So fitting the corolla or fte intake would slow it down (probably) loose torque but gain a bit of power.

Again a bit of an opinion with no proof but just my thinking.

I agree morgey on the air velocity thought I foynd a definate measured gain on the 50mm throttlebody. Cause Ive the autobox I cou of repeat the same launch on the same road on the same day etc. As bolt on mods I go with any manifold and the bigger tb. After that we should follow the rules of na tuning

@ xpect Ive seen nothing to suggest different compression in 4efe engines

i'm running pretty high compression on my 5E, I skimmed the head pretty much as far as it would go without having to clearance the pistons :) really i could do wih an ajustable cam gear.... where can i get one from?

I have a corolla inlet ready to go on, once i find a 50mm TB, and looking for a tubular exhaust manifold... maybe convert a 4age after market one.

i built a hilman imp motor with 12:1 compression, it would only run on meth lol. was fast as fook though.

I can only use pump fuel, so cant go too high.

There is a nice large bore 4age emxhaust manifold near me quite cheap, i may just buy that and try it........... alltho i am going to the scrappy today where there is a supercharged levin :) may just buy the whole motor :D

dont think mine will be going back anywhere unless i get the chance to buy it back from insurance which would be nice. and we are going to use it for rally cross next year with the uni hopefully so will be doing alot of experimenting then :)

i honestly believe with some extra redline it would make close to if not 100bhp because on my old silver one, i had it dyno'd with the fte inlet and TB and it was still making power at redline (whilst badly over fuelling due to a badly adjusted fpr) unlike the corolla mani which made max power before redline

dont think mine will be going back anywhere unless i get the chance to buy it back from insurance which would be nice. and we are going to use it for rally cross next year with the uni hopefully so will be doing alot of experimenting then :)

i honestly believe with some extra redline it would make close to if not 100bhp because on my old silver one, i had it dyno'd with the fte inlet and TB and it was still making power at redline (whilst badly over fuelling due to a badly adjusted fpr) unlike the corolla mani which made max power before redline

On that ryan, I wouldnt let them take your car. I just said no it belongs to me, I paid for it so Im keeping it. Ive never heard of any of our ones having to buy it back