• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

td04 all the time.

if you dont mind abit of revs they are easy kept on the boil and wont drop of boost between gear changes unless you want it to.

240hp Td04 is lovely and a different animal altogether than a 180hp ct9.

Phil

Im either going for ct9 hybrid or td04.

Im standard internals, Front mount, 5zigen exhaust, emanage blue plus couple other bits. Currently on 168 bhp at 1 bar standard ct9

What im wondering is what rpm does a td04 come in at? Also will over 200 bhp be safe on standard internals? Im at about 75k miles and engines healthy.

Another question is do I need a dumpvalve when running external wastegate? Ive seen that have an external wastegate and dumpvalve??

My car atm doesnt have a dumpvalve but dump from somewhere and chatters like a mofo..... wheres it dumping from?

Edited by Haresign

Where would my car be dumping from atm? Its standard ct9 with internal wastegate

just backing up from the closed throttle body and being re hashed by the inducer blades.

Phil

See the thing is people get different power results with different engines I have heard of 210/215 bhp with stock ct9, and then you have the hybrid ct9 but for that price you can get a full td04 set up or the tf035 personally imo save a bigger turbo for a forged engine so you can push more boost through, pushing td04 etc on stock internals is alot of wear n tear and some engines only achieve 220bhp @1bar but some get 230+ these are 15 year old engines but if you have the cash then go for it.

Tf035 would be a bit of a waste on a forged engine tbf. They are mostly best at a 1bar to 1.2bar. Tf035 is basically just a cheap hybrid

Tf035 would be a bit of a waste on a forged engine tbf. They are mostly best at a 1bar to 1.2bar. Tf035 is basically just a cheap hybrid

Get a TD/VF flanged kit, this opens up the choice to use a vast range of turbos, can start off with a small one and then of you decide you want more power and want to go forged then swap out the turbo for a bigger one, they all use the same flanges. And you'll probably never need to buy another mani again. (Unless you want a big GT30 or something but even they come in TD flanges nowadays)

Some choices of turbos are, TF035, TD04, TD05, VF10, VF12, VF8, VF24, VF28, VF35 etc there are loads and loads.

CT9 kits are a bit dead end imo, yes you can get good power and rapid spool from them but you are slightly limited if you want to upgrade, some CT12 & CT20 turbos do fit on them but they are few and far between these days.

Get a TD/VF flanged kit, this opens up the choice to use a vast range of turbos, can start off with a small one and then of you decide you want more power and want to go forged then swap out the turbo for a bigger one, they all use the same flanges. And you'll probably never need to buy another mani again. (Unless you want a big GT30 or something but even they come in TD flanges nowadays)

Some choices of turbos are, TF035, TD04, TD05, VF10, VF12, VF8, VF24, VF28, VF35 etc there are loads and loads.

CT9 kits are a bit dead end imo, yes you can get good power and rapid spool from them but you are slightly limited if you want to upgrade, some CT12 & CT20 turbos do fit on them but they are few and far between these days.

I have wanted to see a 5EFTE with a ct12 set up, although the VF24 is meant to be crazy on the 5E, I reckon with whatever turbo external wastegate is the way to go, 225bhp is nice n safe figure with the stock internals imo, you can have just as much fun in a well set up ct9 as in a td04, been in both we all know the Jam glanza's the boyo and that ran a highflow ct9 :p

yeah all depends how much money you have spare and what you use your car for.

id rather have 260hp td04 stock engine as it would suit my interests/needs but everyone is different.

Phil

Would long term reliability not be a question at 260hp on td04 phil? At practically double the power that Toyota allocated it would stock internals be capable of withstanding that stress for long?

Well on a good stock engine with a solid tune that doesnt det or overfuel or anything nasty you should be grand.

but for me id rather have the fun in the bigger hp td04 ep and build a fresh stock engine in my spare time with spare cash if i was really worried.

seen stock engines make great power right here in the north of ireland for yonks.

Phil