new knock sensor, still code 52

Will just be damaged cable/sheild.

had the same thing with mine before a few times.just got hold of sheilded cable did the repair and problem solved no probs.

also repaired a friends knock sensor wire and went perfect also

Theres absolutely no need to go anywere near the ecus wiring.

there should be NO extra connectors whatsover, and u can replicate ure own sheilding by using copper wire wrapped round multiple times whilst at the same time being SOLDERED to complete the sheilding earth circuit.

I had this same issue new wire and new knock sensor but still code 52 after reading this it needs to be earthed? I asked a lot of people who said it doesn't ?

mikey be nice to get a little run down on running a new wire or fixing the earth etc if you could

Edited by Dean_mc88

The earthing/sheilding around a knock sensor on a starlet IS ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE i assure you.

whoever says differently hasnt a clue what they are on about.

the shielding stops interference/tapping or vibration of the wire going to the ecu and giving an error (ie making the ecu think knocks happening constantly)

I promise you I have been through all this agro with knock sensors as I said and I have repaired not only my issue but somebody else's when nobody could figure it out.

Edited by mikey4410

As said above, the signal wire from the knock sensor must be completely shielded from just before the plug on the engine all the way through to about 100mm from the ecu where the shielding is earthed to signal ground from the ecu. If you have any joins etc then that will not be helping. The shielding should only be grounded at the ecu end where it runs to the signal ground pin on the ecu. I've fixed this issue on quite a few starlets and its always been a fault with the shielding in the section from the injector wiring covers to the knock sensor so there should be no reason to pull the whole loom out to replace the whole wire unless your really unlucky :p

Also take note the shielding is also grounded to the oxygen sensor shielding (again SIGNAL GROUND) so it pays to make sure its not grounding to the gearbox as again it should only be grounding at the ecu end