I am interested in this, 5th gear is crap and there is literally 500rpm difference from changing up from 4th.

whats the final drive ratio, or will it just be a straight swap over from the c52 drive?

Edited by Gilly
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th could be changed separately. Youd have to use both input and output gear (drive and idler gear) from the yaris box and fit them straight back onto the starlet gearsets.

There would be no bearings touched in doing that.

If you wanted to change the whole gearsets I would just follow taggy's guide to fitting an lsd (hopefully yaris boxes run 8 bolt diffs so your aftermarket diffs will bolt into the yaris ring gear if not you'll need a 6 bolt lsd). And use it to fit an lsd to the yaris box and also to swap the bell housings over from the zz bell housing to the 4e bell housing as they will be almost the same.

Thats the easiest way of achieving longer gears. Pulling differnet gears off and using them on the final drive set to make a box of your choice would be a lot of work and will require use of a hydraulic press and a lot of time and effort. (I know, im about to do it to change some selector hubs and shyncros on my bzr 6 speed box)

yea I know that dan, just wondered it cannot be that easy surely??

bearings must be different??

what sort of revs is the diesel gearbox at 70mph compared to the stock 5th

at 62mph the yaris d4d box doos 2200rpm

and morgey if they where to use the whole gear set then it aint that hard gears can stay on shafts exept 5th setup !!!!

i will have to make a tutorial on the d4d box when i rip another 1 apart

at 62mph the yaris d4d box doos 2200rpm

and morgey if they where to use the whole gear set then it aint that hard gears can stay on shafts exept 5th setup !!!!

i will have to make a tutorial on the d4d box when i rip another 1 apart

A tutorial would be awesome! :-)

Even though 5th can be a cunt to get off id say just swapping the 5th would be the easiest way to go about it. Can just take the end cover off the box and do it with the box still in the car. And you dont need to change whole gearsets or diffs etc.

Even though 5th can be a cunt to get off id say just swapping the 5th would be the easiest way to go about it. Can just take the end cover off the box and do it with the box still in the car. And you dont need to change whole gearsets or diffs etc.

we dont all like the easy way out option

buying the cogs from toyota + syncrose will cost you around 400euros and a d4d box can be gotten for 600e i know what i wil be doing !!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

not for a while yet those boxes are sooooooooooooooooooo overpriced 600/800 pounds pfffff see ya

i inspected my oem lsd box ( c155 , 4.3fd )im going to mes with its 0.725 gear :) :) :) ( 5th ) and see if i cant change the final drive over from 4efte box 3.7

Edited by 5e colin
  • 1 month later...