ALTERNATIVE TO CT9, ANYBODY EVER DONE ??

Basically after having a few dud ct9 turbos and knowing how old they are /thin on the ground and old and tired is making me think that there must be a similar turbo out there thats readily avaliable new or only used for a brief while, im thinking 2005 to maybe 2007.

been researching into garrett turbos and theres so many to choose from.weld up new flange on current turbo and get a decat made up and boom your sorted.

obviously making sure the newer turbo is same sorta specs with inducer and exducer etc etc.

nobody done this ?

Just that I am loving having a ct9 at a bar and the lack of lags awesome and how the car should be.

Micky boy was using a ct9 off a lucinder maybe look into same size intake with bigger size compressor wheels try emailing fensport they supply ct9 internals which are meant to be great less lag and weight is always a winner :)

Think you run the risk with any 2nd hand turbo. You could go to all the work with flanges and what not and still get a dud one. For the amount of time put into it think would be just ask getting the stock turbo rebuild.

EWG is the way to go either way,the boost builds up nice but drops off up the revs or at least running a fine tuned ebc would help not getting into another td04 debate but they do spool quick with lighter flywheel and ebc.

Have got an ewg and its such an awesome bit of kit, the regulation of boost is superb to say the least.

td04 isnt for me, as I said its to laggy for me and I enjoy the ct9 so much more

think i will just stick with a ct9 that i will have had rebuilt !!!!! should last years then drama over ! lol

cheers for inputs guys, much appreciated

Edited by mikey4410

Have been searching for 20 plus hours.

theres only a few that I have been happy considering because of there availability.

Gt1749 (variable nozzle turbo) which is incredibly popular and on 50% of new cars out there

k03 turbo from audi, citroen, peugeot which is a few mm smaller but again quite popular

K04 from audi which are quite a bit bigger but not massively and quite easy to get hold of.

you gotta remeber I am happy with just 180 bhp and really usable low end punchy power.

I have made my decision and am currently making flanges to weld to. Paid 50 quid for turbo and hopefully will have it on in the next 2-3 weeks.

You wouldn't be able to use a VNT turbo. They are designed for diesel engines, diesels exhaust gas temperature is lower than that of a petrol engine, the VNT mechanism isn't made to cope with that amount of heat. There are very few petrol engines to ever use VNT turbos.

And on top of that, you've then got to be able to control the vanes, which is not simple at all, on cars that come with VNT's it's programmed into the ECU and they use either vacuum or electronic actuators and are controlled by a variety of inputs (engine load, throttle position, rpm, etc...) you can't just hook them up to a boost controller.

The suggestion above of a GT15 is pretty close to a CT9 in terms of size, but I'd say it's worth going for something around GT20 size as it wont be too laggy, spool will be better than a TD04, and they are more efficient.

TD04's are solid reliable turbos but they are fairly old tech now.

Edited by ste91