Running new engine in, what to do?

i am old fashioned an i dont rev above 3000rpm while driving the first 500 miles then steadily increase the rpms till 1000miles then hammer it

dont forget when u first start her up and she reached operating temps to rev her hard for a second x8 or so to settle the rings if you dont it could happen that the bores/rings glaze ( never bed in propper ) and seep to much oil !!!

i am old fashioned an i dont rev above 3000rpm while driving the first 500 miles then steadily increase the rpms till 1000miles then hammer it

dont forget when u first start her up and she reached operating temps to rev her hard for a second x8 or so to settle the rings if you dont it could happen that the bores/rings glaze ( never bed in propper ) and seep to much oil !!!

Pretty much the way I've always done it.

You don't need to "kick the shit out of it" to run a motor in!

All you need to do is load the engine using high gears and pulling the car up hills/gradients etc.

But yes don't be a pussy with it, load it up but you don't need to rag it to the red line, 4500-5500rpm will be fine.

I wrote a guide on here a little while ago, do a search for it.

Edited by AdamB

All you need to do is load the engine using high gears and pulling the car up hills/gradients etc

^^ this, put the engine under strain to allow the piston rings to set in. If you don't do this your car will smoke on idle?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Aamir

After a couple of heat cycles and you've dropped the start up mono weight oil out its best to not pussy around and have plenty of accel/decel so the rings bed in just don't rev it out too aggressively ie to redline and try not to run at the same rpm or idle for too long. If you nana it you'll glaze the bores and the rings wont bed in. I usually run 50-100k then drop the oil again then start progressively raising the boost/rev limit from there.

A guy I know over here builds very high level RB30/32's and hes starting to lean on his new engines after only 30mins or so and he's yet to have any failures/issues and his engines are used all over the world setting all sorts of records.

^^ this, put the engine under strain to allow the piston rings to set in. If you don't do this your car will smoke on idle?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Aamir

If the rings don't bed in or the bores are glazed then there will be excessive crankcase pressure and the motor will be hugely down on power. But yes there will be a lot of smoke out the breather.

Guys in the states fully build their motors and just thrash them once on road. Everyone in the uk seems to be experts and know exactly not what to do lol

Edited lol :)

Edited by AdamB