Thermostat Replacing Issues

How likely is it to be the cylinder. Surely the head gasket would be the most likely Scenario?

I'll get the head pressure tested. How do you go about cylinder checking. I mean with the engine in the car that's going to be solid.

I think it doesn't warrant spending that much time and money when it's probably just going to be the head gasket. If there is anything I should be looking for in the inspection side of things please let me know.

Thanks.

It defo sounds like HG or leaking cylinder pressures of sorts to me, but whilst your at it and everythings off id flush out the heater matrix and the radiator just to make sure you have good flow through both anyway.

Saying you skimmed the thermo housing is there any chance it had been skimmed before and now its now being held slightly apart by having the stat installed? This would cause the gasket to blow out as it wouldnt be clamping it.

Only a thought but id deffo consider replacing it with one thats known not to be leaking.

Sounds exactly like what I had with mine, which turned out to be a knackered HG (gasses leaking into coolant channels). Mine just kept throwing coolant out of the expansion tank overflow, your issues with the thermostat are odd though. When your engine is warm, did you ever see bubbles in your expansion tank?

As morgey said above, try a completely new thermo housing first though, or at least one you know is alright. The thermostat is a very snug fit inside the housing so it may well be keeping the two metal faces apart slightly.

Even when my engine was overheating, it still pulled fine and ran fine. Just because it feels alright performance-wise, it doesn't mean that there aren't any problems with the gasket.

Edited by Bluebear

The thermostat housing just uses a big o ring style rubber ring round the thermo so no need for any gaskets or pastes if anything that would weaken it one of the cars I bought they has removed it to keep it running cold so it wouldn't get upto temp if urs is still boiling as above its likely headgasket id prob do a sniff test prior to striping so you no what your getting into before stripping it.

Yeah it does have that Oring round the thermostat but I can't see that actually stopping water through the metal since it doesn't even act as a gasket.

​I don't have access to a sniffer and can't be bothered to go to a garage. I know that is really lame but the evidence suggests there is something going on. As said I'm expecting that the engine is damaged. The person I bought it from was adamant it wasn't the head gasket and I reckon that is cause he knew it was damaged! And I don't want to stereotype any such person but I've heard this a lot about the kind of person who sold me the car that this was very typical of them to batter cars and flog them on....Not trying to be racist but they're correct. Sorry to adhere to the stereotype but they don't do themselves any justice when you pick the car up and they lie to your face. I said it was head gasket when I went to pick it up. I bought the car with engine damage in mind. It doesn't bother me SO LONG AS IT CAN BE FIXED! And that's often the case. What bothers me is that they lied. And that I payed more than what it was worth. If the engine was solid then I could forgive the price. But the body work is BATTERED. The bumpers cut and the alloys crap. Now thanks to Shaun the alloys or BOOM TING! I've bought an uncut bumper off ebay. So hopefully now sort the engine out and then it would be worth what I payed. And hopefully then some.

​Have been working on ONE HELL OF A MEAN IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM. Which if any of yous are interested I'll do a separate thread on. You're talking 500 watts RMS of sound (1000 watts total, I know it's not massive but it's quality parts with the sub so small it sits in the spare tyre and yet is still 2X 100 watts rms), with a home made, 7" touch screen, Playstation 1, Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, Gameboy, doom, Duke nukem emulator. You name it it's running it. Homemade sat nav, FM radio. HD movies. YouTube, Netflix. It's not yet finished and I'm still working on it but the actual software is done. And as said if anyone is interested I'll do a little thread on its features. Needless to say it's a lovely car system that works with a ps3 controller so you can play the games without a keyboard.

Hhhmmm it's only a 700 Mhz computer. Still puts out HD video though. Apparently it has the processing power of the Original Xbox. I haven't ran any PS1 games but my guess is it would be clunky. Runs Genesis games perfect though. And plays HD footage pretty sweet. Just takes a while to load it lol. I've wired in the Starlets existing arial into the computer so I can use FM :D

You shouldn't have any problems with no gasket clean the face of the housing up with a stanley blade if it's got old paste and crap on it same with the base that's on the block. Get the stat and seal in there nice and square and try again.

What kind of people did you buy it from

And yeah lol. I was a little gutted to be honest. Could tell straight away when they picked up the phone. And they aren't all that way but I mean this car wasn't even running an air filter and there was no mention of this in the ad.

And I sit you not. There was some dirty old pair of boxer briefs in the Boot! No Lie!

I've never had one apart that's had any form of gasket or sealing agent on it.

I bet they took the thermo out completely on yours... hence no oring so it would leak, thus using sealer to try and prevent it.

I had to bypass the stat on one of mine once, I had to cut the centre of the stat out leaving just the outer ring and oring. It would not seal without the oring understandably.

If you have it apart and in your hand you can see the oring will seal it.

Edited by TurboTobz