career progression for a 28 year old!

hey dudes has anyone had this dilemma?

im 28 and have been stuck working for not much over minimum wage for several years now and want to better myself. i still live at home simply because im single and cant afford a place on my own wage alone.

i wouldnt mind doing an apprenticeship or some sort to try and get a better career going. only problem is im 28 so what are my options now?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/further-education-skills/apprenticeships

https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/forms/candidate/apprenticeships.aspx

http://apprenticeships.qa.com/

Unfortunaltely it's the boring stuff that earns mullah. Stuff that people have no interest in.

IT. If you get an apprenticeship in IT then you really can earn a mint. But I understand for most IT is just the computer they use to browse the forums lol/

Mate I was on £17500 per annum on my apprenticeship. And they paid for my Degree lmao. If you do a speciliast apprenticeship then it's not as bad as you think

Edited by Calum122

Sorry, didn't mean it to come off like that. I know lots of people who were on pennies an hour like you say.

My brother did an electrical apprenticeship with a company called Clarkson Evans, and there you work on price, so provided you work hard, you get the money back. He could pull some serious money through hard grafting and long days.

It's hard work, but you've got to start somewhere.

Or alternative is night school. Skip the apprenticeship and go back to school in the evenings or something similar.

Study something technical and apply for jobs in that field. Obviously research a field that is in demand. I hear engineering is in demand atm.

Do something you enjoy doing, turn your hobby into a job/career.

See I disagree with that mate.

I know loads of people that thought, Oh I love cars, I'm going to be a mechanic.

Can seriously take the passion out of it.

Definitely do something you enjoy, but I'd say do something that you don't do at home...

See I disagree with that mate.

I know loads of people that thought, Oh I love cars, I'm going to be a mechanic.

Can seriously take the passion out of it.

I did this. And now i fuckin hate cars.

It actually upsets me a little. My mate is a mechanic and he loves his Jap cars, but he doesn't treat them well, or keep them long, and isn't really into the whole thing. Cause he knows how stressful they make his life. Shame really.

Mechanics deserve better pay IMO. But we 'customers' aren't prepared to pay.

I don't do this as a job, but I can imagine how stressful every job must be. When I do something to my car all that's going through my mind is when is this goign to blow up in my face!!!

So I've got respect for mechanics, not paid enough for their jobs IMO.

It actually upsets me a little. My mate is a mechanic and he loves his Jap cars, but he doesn't treat them well, or keep them long, and isn't really into the whole thing. Cause he knows how stressful they make his life. Shame really.

Mechanics deserve better pay IMO. But we 'customers' aren't prepared to pay.

I don't do this as a job, but I can imagine how stressful every job must be. When I do something to my car all that's going through my mind is when is this goign to blow up in my face!!!

So I've got respect for mechanics, not paid enough for their jobs IMO.

Pay depends what level theyre at, just like anthing else, the majority of my work is diagnostics, fix half the cars i work on using a computer.

Its not all oil over the face spanner rolling about the deck wrestling a gearbox these days sadly, because thats the best part :p

i always wanted to be a mechanic but being from a small town coulnt get a apprentaship. ended up studying electrionic engineering for big money and it was so dull i jacked that idea. took up a wee part time cleaning job while i decided what todo and ended up enjoying it and progressed quite nicely to what is a decent wage for my area. has let me buy a really nice flat and own 2 cars and what not. am quite happy how it panned out to be honest all my mechanic mates hate working on there own cars and alot of them ask me for advice when it comes to modding them because alot of the courses these days are just fit replacement parts not actualy fix things.

with regards to mechanic wages it depends where you work alot of people i know working in main dealers wages arent great. we dont have any dealers in my town but prob over 7 garages. my mate recently went from taking home £1600 after tax with alot of overtime from whats regarded a high end garage purpose built garage. he moved to one of the smallest garages in town thats your proper old school garage that looks like its about to fall down and the boys now taking home 3k a month after tax alot of perks of the job aswell like weekends away for the F1 and stuff. alot of the dead fancy purpose built garages make alot of money but it doesnt trickle down to the employees. where as the garages that are all about getting the job done and dont care if they dont have nice brand new clean garage are making an aboslute killing

Edited by _shaun_

When i was learning to be a painter i was on an abseloutely shit wage and now for my skill level and experience im seriously underpaid and it pisses me off so much as i like my job but my boss is a joke n takes the piss big time half the time i want a career change but as you get older you cant afford to be on the skivvy wage :(