Noticed today that the engine in my gt has a tick/tap that gets faster with revs etc.

Now i thought this was just noisy injectors because i only ever heard it on idle, but today whilst driving past a load of parked cars i noticed its always there.So now im wondering if its the tappets, how easy are they to do/adjust? That and i found a snapped cam cover bolt today when i pulled my intercooler off, so ill have to try sort that out i spose while its off!

Any help is apreciated, unless someone wants to do it for me and ill pay them ahaha

retension cam gear

Phil

That sounds expensive aha, is that the pre load gear on the camshafts?

by sound of it u never done it so not a first diy jobby affaik u need the proper measuring tools to to measure the new shims make sure to get a mechanic friend to guide/help you

I know you need the feeler gauges and that, i was a mechanic a few years ago, the confidence to pull stuff apart has faded a bit these days, not so much suspesion and bits like that, but im a bit nervous about making or breaking my engine nowadays aha!

Ill have to see if anyone i know is up for doing it lol

Also, where would i get a replacement cam cover bolt/nut, ive had a 3sgte in bits before but i cant quite remember how theyre held in?

• 2 months later...

Actually that reminds me, it was really bad before because the downpipes nuts had come Loose and it was blowing, stuck some nylocks on it and it went back to the normal ticking, which I've never got rid of

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this same problem, the noise started right after my forged rebuild. I picked up the car from the mechanic and there was that noise. He claimed to adjust the tappets/shims since, but same old noise...plz post a pic of this valve. I'll try this next.

Well I just cleaned my idle valve, could have sworn the noise was greatly reduced after running the valve back together. Switched off the engine then restarted and the noise was back to the same old, sigh...