Kyle's 1998 Glanza V EP91

Hello, my name is Kyle and I've just recently had a 1998 Toyota starlet glanza V TRD EP91 imported from Japan. The car is a complete rust free example and is in pretty good condition for a car of its age. When the car arrived I paid to have it fully wax oil undersealed to preserve the underside and prevent any future rust. There are a few slight scratches on the bumper, but nothing that can't be fixed. The car has around 68,000 miles with a full service history and has just been fully serviced and MOT'd.

The car is pretty much standard power wise but has had a few handling modifications made. When I bought the car it came with Tein fully adjustable coil overs, front upper and lower strut brace, front anti-roll bars, Wedsport SA-90 alloys and I've just had them wrapped in Nankang Ultra-sport NS-2 tyres. The car also came with a full exhaust system, the import company said it was kakimoto but I'm unsure of the brand. It also has a blitz dual turbo timer. Other than these the car is completely standard.

I'm currently in the process of selling my old car and saving up through the winter to get some decent money together and really start adding some power. I have hopes to get it to around 250bhp by then end of next year and leave it for a while and then save up again and sent it to Race-Tech to be forged as the company is only 10 minutes away.

So that's just a little background information about me and my intentions with the car. I only have very basic knowledge of the car and will probably need all the advice, pointers and heads up I can about things. Also I will add some photos when I figure out how to do it (I'm new to the whole forum thing)

Edited by Kylehollinger

Quick update:

As soon as my other car has sold I'll be getting the FMIC and induction kit sorted then I can start looking at the engine properly and seeing what needs sorting and uprating, if anyone has any pointers or advice on which intercooler and induction kit then that would be much appreciated.

The car also came with grooved discs on the front. The discs are fine to get me through the winter but the pads were pretty low so I've just ordered some EBC Green stuff brake pads from ID Workz.

When the winter has passed I'll be swapping the front and rear discs to drilled and grooved. Adding braided brake lines and swapping the 3 dot brake fluid for 5.1 and maybe swapping to a different colour EBC pad depending on how they perform.

image_zpsowvxlhv7.jpg

Also I got hold of a metal speedo converter (kph to mph) from someone of the forum. I was told that it also removed the top end speed limit. I fitted the part which was easy enough but soon found out that my car wasn't high boosting in 2nd gear anymore, Does anyone know why? My car never high boosts in 1st gear either, is that normal?

Anyway, I removed the part as I would prefer the car to be faster at low end speeds and pull better on the first couple of gears as I'm not that fussed on going stupid with the top end speed, I only got it to convert the speedo.

image_zpsxmsowqe9.jpg

Edited by Kylehollinger
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some time to fit my pads this weekend, don't think they could have survived much longer.

image_zpsb9xgp1vs.jpg

Decided that I wanted remove the rear wiper because I didn't like the look and how long it was, so I had a read on the forum about the best place to get a de-wiper grommet and bought a bath tap blanking cover from B&Q today, fits perfect and matches the colour on my white glanza and comes with a seal to prevent any water getting in.

Added some photos what it looked like before and after.

I'll put a link for the grommet at B&Q below:

http://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-plastic-tap-hole-stopper-dia40mm/184687_BQ.prd

Before:

image_zpsdr0wl7hh.jpg

After:

image_zpseoxf5iyx.jpg

Ordered some more parts this weekend so I will add some photos when they arrive.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd do a little update, I've been dreading writing this post for a while now, towards the end of last year around 17th/18th October my glanza was involved in a front end smash with another car. It was on a dark country lane and the other car was traveling in the same direction but suddenly slammed on the brakes without indication to take a late turning, said he didn't see me, luckily I dodged the rear end but ending up basically went down the side of his car and took him into a ditch, not long after insurance wrote the car off due to its age, but they we're very good to me, they let me get my wedsports back (which is sold to a lad on here).

I paid £5800 for the car originally and they offered me £6000, after my excess was paid I was left with about £5500, I really wanted another glanza because it was so short lived but insurance just wouldn't touch me without paying like £7000 haha. So I used the rest of the money for a holiday and deposit for a new car.

Due to starting to save for my first house, i decided to get something cheap to run. Nice looking, and still nippy and had to be turbo of course😈 just untill I get my house sorted, then I will be back into the glanza scene😀 so I bought a Fiesta Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost, it's not too bad, my insurance went down about £300 for the year and only pay around £150 per month for it, and don't have to worry about MOT or TAX for 3 years. Now I've never been a fan of any other car than mainly Japanese but this little thing goes like the clappers, it's 125bhp so not too much less than the glanza, doesn't pull quite as hard but it's not bad for a cheap daily runner. I'll add some photos from the smash and also add some photos and the new car.

Just thought it update this incase anyone was wondering where I've been for the last few months. Hope to see you all at Japfest on the 24th.

Photos from the night of the accident:

image_zpsfupsu9ch.jpg

Photos from insurance compound:

image_zpsaugthw7y.jpg

image_zpsdzfmulaq.jpg

And the new car for the time being:

image_zps5xlroji1.jpg

Took all the bits off it, and insurance kept it, it will

Probably be sold off for scrap/crushed or auctioned off to be refurbed😔 it was in good condition, just hope I can find another imported one in good condition when I'm ready to buy another