SOLVED! Multiple random breakdowns..weak/no spark

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EML hasn't come on, can I still trigger codes if I do a diagnostic check?

yes you can still got the test...

with engine and ignition off bridge te1 and e1 with a paperclip or peice of wire then turn ignition on and count the blinks

you might get code 14 if you've tried to turn it over and it didnt start.

im assuming the mines ecu retains fault codeslike the stock ecu

yes you can still got the test...

with engine and ignition off bridge te1 and e1 with a paperclip or peice of wire then turn ignition on and count the blinks

you might get code 14 if you've tried to turn it over and it didnt start.

im assuming the mines ecu retains fault codeslike the stock ecu

Ah I never knew that, thanks! Will give it a go and see if there's any codes

Fair enough. Just I had similar symptoms with mine caused by waxing of the fuel filter

Just an idea have you checked the voltage at the pump?

I haven't but I swapped a new Walboro in a few days ago, seems to be running okay. Next time it happens I'll see if I can prime the pump at all through diagnostic plug

Found the reason why my red GT does this now... Turns out the distributor is arcing out. I was bleeding the coolant system up with wet hands and i got a good belt off it.

I've got the little sachet of water resistant dielectric grease that came with my magnecores though so i'm going to try that.

Found the reason why my red GT does this now... Turns out the distributor is arcing out. I was bleeding the coolant system up with wet hands and i got a good belt off it.

I've got the little sachet of water resistant dielectric grease that came with my magnecores though so i'm going to try that.

Where would you apply the grease, around the contact points?

You replaced the distributor? or just cap and rotor arm?

Oh sorry just cap and rotor arm

I would say get a temp sensor first as its the cheaper option then if its not that i reckon its the distributor.

You have done the fuel pump, earths and temp sensor then, so the only thing left will be distributor.

Im pretty sure it will be that, i had it happen randomly at first then it slowly got worse and completely gave up. If its not a daily you could wait for this to happen and you will know 100% when it produces no spark.

An hour later, managed to get it started. Weirdly if I prod around the connections for the HT leads, it fires up a few mins later.

But anyway I got the new sensor in, time will tell but it seems to run a bit nicer. Let's hope that's sorted it!

So after a week of running perfectly, it's decided to conk out again! Same starting issue as before I had the coolant temp sensor replaced but this is the first time since I got the new one put in that it hasn't started

Ok really weird, I took #4 spark plug out to see if I've got spark.

Obviously connected it's HT lead and earthed the threads to the rocker cover and went to crank. The car started up first time on 3 cylinders? WTF?

Totally confused now as to what's causing this issue. Is it a dodgy earth or is there something wrong with my fuel or spark?

It was replaced about 2 years ago, I do have a new one to go in. Haven't managed to check voltage at the pump yet.

Uni/exams (last exam on Monday) have delayed getting this sorted out but I'll be sorting any niggles in the next few weeks I hope

Also noticed the check engine light flickering as I start the car (quite consistent)

Edited by Amjad
  • 1 month later...