SOLVED! Multiple random breakdowns..weak/no spark

Okay so recently the car has refused to start on 2 occasions.

1) Following a service, primed the engine as normal. Went to refit king lead and EFI fuse, and tried to start the engine. Cranked over for ages but wouldn't start. Went away for a couple of minutes, making sure king lead was on properly, looked over earths etc. Then the car started?

2) Was coming off the motorway after a 30 minute drive, hammer down on some dual carriageways before letting the car cool down for the last 5 minutes and parking up. Came back out and went to start the car an hour later and same thing again, cranked but wouldn't start. I thought maybe something had worked loose under hard driving so checked engine over and stuff looked normal. Then seeing as the ignition dash lights were on we decided to push the car to bump start it.

3) A related issue: I park facing uphill and occasionally when I start the car, it splutters into life and can struggle to have a normal idle until I give it a few revs. And then it settles down and drives normally. Ignition system is all new apart from the HT leads (which will be replaced soon as one is looking pretty sorry for itself).

Started pushing and turned car around to point downhill, thought I'd try starting by the key once more and it started straight up. Wat.

So yeah but confused now, I've read around and seen it might be due to a faulty fuel pump? Car is a '95 GT still on stock pump.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Amjad

Edited by Amjad
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not immobiliser/alarm stuff for definite, no dodgy wires or anything wrong there

If it's pump then that should be an easy fix, just wanna make sure it's that and not something else

Could be Engine earth. Clean all earth facea or Run a fresh one from block to chassis to battery to be sure. Its a cheap fix/upgrade and may solve your problem.

What makes you think it's an earth? I don't have any spare wire/connections to make a new wire at the moment

My red GT does start first time sometimes. I usually just hold the starter on for a few secs, turn ignition off then try again and it starts. Weird. Probably coolant temp sensor or something on mine but not sure about yours

Proper weird!

My friend's scooby had the same kind of issue and it was fixed by new fuel pump.

That sounds promising, hopefully it's just that!

One thing I just remembered, is another related issue:

I park facing uphill and occasionally when I start the car, it splutters into life and can struggle to have a normal idle until I give it a few revs. And then it settles down and drives normally. Ignition system is all new apart from the HT leads (which will be replaced soon as one is looking pretty sorry for itself).

I'll add that to the first post for anyone who hasn't seen the topic yet

Edited by Amjad

The engine coolant temp sensor can cause the engine not to start. If the ecu doesn't have a signal it may be putting too much or too little fuel in. Are you running a fcd at all? These can also interfere with the Ecu.

Failing that the fuel pump could have a crap earth. The earth point for the pump is behind the drivers side rear panel in front of the rear strut tower. You can also try bridging out fp and b+ In the diagnostic port to see if the pump runs.

ECU side just running a Mine's ECU

I'll check that earth and try bridging the pump as I tested it a few months ago.

Could it just be that my 20 year old pump is intermittently struggling to work?

• 3 weeks later...

any fault codes?

check the earth on the manifold by the idle valve.... wire bush both surfaces then refit.

coolant temp sensor is a cheap replacment id try that next

had a similar issue on my mx5 few years ago and that was the efi relay

Edited by goldenvtr

EML hasn't come on, can I still trigger codes if I do a diagnostic check?

Cool I'll try that sensor next, thanks guys!

That earth looks okay (earthing kit fitted a few years ago). The one on the wing has gone a bit rusty so that needs cleaning but nothing obviously wrong as far as I can tell